Interesting citing....

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Interesting citing....

Post by ads »

The Ashton vid clearly shows him putting his right hand over the face of the Ulster player before dragging him by the head to the floor. Whether he made contact with the eyes, I don't know but he definitely had his hand over his face.
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

For Aston's offence, I understood that the rule doesn't differentiate between intentional and stupid (or reckless) - the length of any ban DOES take into account intent.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

samsapples wrote:Ashton's reputation is always going to haunt him. The challenge was stupid but for me that clip doesn't show him going for the eyes. I hope he doesn't get a lengthy ban because I must be one of the few people who was looking forward to seeing him play for England again, he's been playing very well the last couple of seasons.
You must be Scottish then.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
AidanMcDowell

Post by AidanMcDowell »

Dayglo's commentary says Ashton had nowhere else to grab Marshall but it looks pretty clear to me that he had his hand under Marshall's arm and then moved it to Marshall's face. That seems like a deliberate movement into a very reckless act. I expect a lengthy ban.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Ads677 wrote:For Aston's offence, I understood that the rule doesn't differentiate between intentional and stupid (or reckless) - the length of any ban DOES take into account intent.
Correct.

Owen Williams was banned for this after the 2014 semi final, although his ban was reduced to 6 weeks, assuming a low entry reduced by half for prior good behaviour and a guilty plea.
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

AidanMcDowell wrote:Dayglo's commentary says Ashton had nowhere else to grab Marshall
And that's the sort of bumbling ignorant squit Dayglo spurts out constantly. Ashton's left arm was first around the neck, then the right arm came in deliberately over his face to finish off what was another cheap shot from Ashton yet again.
samsapples

Post by samsapples »

G.K wrote:
samsapples wrote:Ashton's reputation is always going to haunt him. The challenge was stupid but for me that clip doesn't show him going for the eyes. I hope he doesn't get a lengthy ban because I must be one of the few people who was looking forward to seeing him play for England again, he's been playing very well the last couple of seasons.
You must be Scottish then.
No I just think players should be selected on merit not on whether people like them or not...
biffer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by biffer »

I struggle to understand how Ashton wasn't given a red by the TMO.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

More interested in the Chris Ashton citing, if proved he'll get a 12 week ban which will wipe the smirk off his face because he'll miss the six nations, aw shame poor Chris. Another Player whose Talent is overblown and whose brain is several feet below his head.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Clermont flanker Viktor Kolelishvili given 14 week ban for push on Barnes...seems about right respect for Sir needs to be preserved

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/14-week ... elishvili/
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

The report makes it clear why the suspension is as it was. On those terms 14 weeks seems about right.

I'm not entirely sure about the automatic halving of every ban for a guilty plea though. I don't think it can always be that straightforward.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

How can that be classed as a gouge?!

It was a flat hand pushing the guy to the floor at all times. It was stupid and dangerous but not a gouge.

Surely the hand needs to claw a bit for it to be reckless?

Gutting if he misses the 6 Nations due to this, hopefully its a 4 week one so he only misses Scotland and Italy
Ads677
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Ads677 »

darganj wrote:How can that be classed as a gouge?!

It was a flat hand pushing the guy to the floor at all times. It was stupid and dangerous but not a gouge.

Gutting if he misses the 6 Nations due to this, hopefully its a 4 week one so he only misses Scotland and Italy
Not sure which citing you're referring to here?
Norfolk & Goode
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Norfolk & Goode »

darganj wrote:It was a flat hand pushing the guy to the floor at all times.
Which is why I guess the player lay on the floor straight after holding his face, then complained of gouging to the coach and referee, make sense now :smt017

Ashton has no business pulling (not pushing) a player from behind with his fingers over the eye area, try another theory!
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

Ads677 wrote:
darganj wrote:How can that be classed as a gouge?!

Not sure which citing you're referring to here?
I'm guessing the Aston citing. I tend to agree, whilst Ashton isn't my favourite player by a long way, any gouging doesn't look deliberate. The footage isn't really that clear. The flat of Ashton's Han has probably made contact with the eyes, but there is nothing malicious in what I could see.

Pleased about the 14 weeks. It should never be acceptable to push sir. Unusually lenient of Mr Barnes, but well played by the panel.