Behaviour at Welford Road.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Phil B
Super User
Super User

Re: Behaviour at Welford Road.

Post by Phil B »

Stewards do not want to confront and deal with louts. That is the problem.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Not sure why you are an idiot for taking your place in the stands 5-10 minutes before kick off. Seems eminently sensible to me. However, I understand the difficulty this presents on the terrace. Which is why I have rarely done so. I'm 6'4" which is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because if I get stuck at the back or in the corner (as did happen when I went to see Tigers v Saints a couple of years back) I can still get some kind of view. And a curse, because I have to make sure I stand in front of someone nearly as tall if I am not to block the view. I personally find the terracing at Saints better because a) it is in sections and b) you enter from the bottom. It works well IMO as long as they police it well - which as I understand it they have had problems with in the past. If you get a good position at Tigers and then you need the loo it seems a bit of a nightmare to extracate yourself and then get back in.

As regards people getting a bit too bevied and behaving badly. I've read a variety of views. And I've read of similar issues at several other grounds flair up every now and again. I think the only way is to try and nip in the bud - sometimes people will happily tone it down once asked. If note you just after use the stewards. It's not what you want to do ideally but.... In some ways I find having a child with me helps because there is a less of an argument for it. On a more positive note against Falcons last year or maybe the year before there was about 6/7 Newcastle lads knocking back the beers fairly swiftly and returning to the bar regularly. But they never got particularly loud or sweary.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Phil B wrote:Stewards do not want to confront and deal with louts. That is the problem.
It may be. Do you have first hand evidence to support it?

If you do, then the solution is to have a "snatch squad" of stewards (specially trained) who go it and evict the offender(s).
Still keeping the faith!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

As usual LFC will do absolutely nothing.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

Bill W (2) wrote:
Phil B wrote:Stewards do not want to confront and deal with louts. That is the problem.

If you do, then the solution is to have a "snatch squad" of stewards (specially trained) who go it and evict the offender(s).
Evidence? Come on. A poster reported on this thread that he had tried to get the stewards interested. They weren't, it seems. Why? Because it could easily end up in a physical eviction. Thay are probably neither trained nor paid for the potential to receive physical abuse.

The snatch squad sounds a good idea, if the problem can't be nipped in the bud at source.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

What, out of interest, was the bad behaviour?
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I actually thought behaviour was better than about 4 years ago, when we had a number of 4-pint-tray-each-half guys who f---ed at the refs. They appear to have vanished/exited unlamented. Having said that, so far three accidents witnessed where 2-pint jugs got away from the holder.

Being on the rails in the Crumbie, you have occasional issues with kids being pushed to the front, but only now and again do adults attempt it - usually women with phones. I leave it to the rather formidable ladies on the rails to deal with........ :smt002

Away supporters are generally rather pleasant, if a little irritating au Chiefs style occasionally.....
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Phil B wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:

Evidence? Come on. A poster reported on this thread that he had tried to get the stewards interested. They weren't, it seems. Why? Because it could easily end up in a physical eviction. Thay are probably neither trained nor paid for the potential to receive physical abuse.

The snatch squad sounds a good idea, if the problem can't be nipped in the bud at source.
My understanding is that stewards have precedures for emergencies be they medical or behavioural.

I guess it is a question of judgemnent and balance when a behavioural issue becomes an emergency prior to it becoming a medical one.

There are two things LFC will protect jealously;

1. The ability to open the bars before, during and after matches;

2. The ability to self police (the alternative would mean paying for a police presence).

Allowing oafish behaviour to go unchecked risks both.
Still keeping the faith!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Roly wrote:Judging by the constant whining on the 'catering feedback' article, I'm amazed anyone can get served a pint at all at the ground, on account of how poor the service is.
Here's a first: I'm with Roly on this!
Adds note in diary...
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
benj98

Post by benj98 »

One of the problems I saw on Saturday was a Tigers fan kicking off because two Northampton fans were being allowed into the terrace to stand at the back behind next to the black camera scaffolds. From the point of view of a season ticket holder who stands in front of these boxes game in, game out having arrived an hour and a half+ beforehand is fine as long as there is space. You can only see one half of the pitch from the position they are in and they did not cause a problem at all.
The problem is only caused when someone stands directly in front of you in a cramped space 5 minutes before the game starts and insists it is no problem.
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

The bad behaviour that I saw was spelling beer everywhere, pushing people out of the way, swearing, having heated discussions with anyone who asked them to tone it down a bit etc. I am not aware of any threatening behaviour, although it was intimidating for those who were close to them.And I was told that several people complained about bad language in the Goldsmiths!
swanscombeboy

Post by swanscombeboy »

I have to agree with the comments re loutish behaviour and excess drinking.
I sit at the back of the Crumbie and have to continually move to allow people past with trays full of beer. A few weeks ago I had beer spilt all down the back of my new Tigers shirt after an impatient idiot tried to force his way past without asking anyone to move. I challenged the so called Rugby fan and suggested he might want to pay for the cleaning of my new £55 shirt. His response was very aggressive and confrontational, challenging me to a fist fist of all things. Maybe 20 years ago I would have accepted. It was only the intervention of the idiots wife raising concerns that he was embarrassing his children that made him back down and return to his seat. I fear it is becoming more like a football ground than a rugby ground and this is not an isolated case. I am not against people having a drink whilst enjoying the game, but I am concerned that some of the people in question are not a bit interested in the rugby and use the visit as an excuse to get bladdered without any concern for those around them.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Bowden Tiger wrote:However, I have to ask why we go to Welford Road. Is it to drink for 4 hours, or to watch rugby?
For many, my self included when I get chance, it is both and I never find myself in bother. However, I have met many Foul mouthed Tea-totaler who will be just as obnoxious as you report. Don't blame the amber nectar, blame the person.

If you stop the alcohol sales then you run the risk as can be the case in Football that people will just drink more before the game.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

JackFlashJonny wrote:When I went on boxing day and stood having got there early I found that many people (who were all young men actually) came late and were trying to get as close to the front as possible..
Saints, (wash my mouth out :smt030 ) might just have got it right. The terrace, becase it is soooooooo tiny is split into sections and your ticket allocation is for that section only. May be a suggestion to restrict migration across the terrace.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Bowden Tiger wrote:The bad behaviour that I saw was spelling beer everywhere
BT I could not agree more. Spelling beer is a hideous offence that deserves barring. Next you will be telling me that they were pronouncing lager and enunciating wine.

Please will all future terrace ticket holders please remember to misspell their Bear! :smt002