Saturday fixture - what a joke

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Saturday fixture - what a joke

Post by Iain »

I prefer Fridays. I quite like Saturdays. I prefer us not to be on Sunday but I don't mind too much.

I still go to the games.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Phil B wrote::smt001

You could not be more wrong! Knowing when the weekend starts, and work stops, is fundamental to French life. :smt025
5 pm Thursday and 10 am Tuesday :smt023
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

It would be nice to get Saturday 3.00pm fixtures, but we have to recognise that in this day and age whilst TV rules the waves we have to abide by his masters voice or literally he who pays the piper says what tune to play. The Actual day of the weekend never bothers me, I'm more concerned about kick off times. Tiger's management must have realised by now that a good 30% of Season ticket holders if not more live outside
of the immediate catchment area of the county of Leicestershire maybe even more than that. They must insist on earlier kick off times for Evening matches and that no day match should start before 1.00pm. I know of people who travel from Scotland and Ireland regularly to watch the tigers and what they dread are late finishes and early starts, which
mean that they have to lay out even more money for hotels.
Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Bunchy »

Noddy555 wrote:It would be nice to get Saturday 3.00pm fixtures, but we have to recognise that in this day and age whilst TV rules the waves we have to abide by his masters voice or literally he who pays the piper says what tune to play. The Actual day of the weekend never bothers me, I'm more concerned about kick off times. Tiger's management must have realised by now that a good 30% of Season ticket holders if not more live outside
of the immediate catchment area of the county of Leicestershire maybe even more than that. They must insist on earlier kick off times for Evening matches and that no day match should start before 1.00pm. I know of people who travel from Scotland and Ireland regularly to watch the tigers and what they dread are late finishes and early starts, which
Get real mate - no way we can insist on early KO times just like every other club in the league..
No point moaning - the club can do little as has been explained on numerous occassions
Less is more....
gr3g

Post by gr3g »

We have been season ticket holders for at least fifteen years, we are on the Tigers Family board, etc. Our children have been coming all of their lives.
However, we cannot attend Friday or Sunday matches. The children are at school on a Friday and we can't get to the ground in time. On Sundays, ironically, both children are at their rugby clubs and I coach junior rugby too.
This season has been a disaster attendance-wise for us. I was lucky enough to resell our tickets on the odd occasion through the club I cannot risk that loss of cash in the future.
We will not be renewing our ST next season, but will have to buy ad hoc when matches are announced. I expect that the number of matches we attend will decline even further because of this.
I understand why this is happening, I don't have to like it, or support it, though.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Totally agree with you 3grg people who can only mke it on a Saturday have been punished beyond reason by the schedulers, perhaps this is something that Tiger's management will take on board next season with an appropriate discount for those season ticket holders who can only make Saturdays.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

That will happen only when and if the money lost from attendence is greater than the money gained from television. I havn't noticed a massive drop for Friday and Sunday games
onthe22

Post by onthe22 »

Bunchy wrote:
Noddy555 wrote:It would be nice to get Saturday 3.00pm fixtures, but we have to recognise that in this day and age whilst TV rules the waves we have to abide by his masters voice or literally he who pays the piper says what tune to play. The Actual day of the weekend never bothers me, I'm more concerned about kick off times. Tiger's management must have realised by now that a good 30% of Season ticket holders if not more live outside
Get real mate - no way we can insist on early KO times just like every other club in the league..
No point moaning - the club can do little as has been explained on numerous occassions
Get real mate.

Our club representatives have significant influence in TV contract negotiations.

Here's a quote from our own website about Peter Wheeler:

"Peter represents the club on the board of Premiership Rugby Limited. He also represents Premiership Rugby Limited on the RFU Professional Game Board. He is Chairman of the RFU's Rugby World Cup 2015 Activation and Legacy Group for the area covering the East Midlands, Warwickshire, Leicestershire, Nottinghamshire/ Lincolnshire/ Derbyshire and the Eastern Counties."

It's not a matter of can't, it's a case of won't.

The club have no excuses.

Many people who have supported this club home and away for years, including before professionalism have recently voted with their feet over the lack of respect that the club now give. People who have turned up in all kinds of weather and spent significant amounts of money in tickets, merchandise and behind the bar over the years.

Yes the club will continue to gain new supporters as is the case with any successful sports team but the club needs to remember those who were turning up when you could walk up and down the terrace to cheer the players on at the next lineout. Without those supporters the club would not be in the position that it has now. It is about respect.

The club can spout on in the media before a big match about how important the supporters are, 16th man etc as much as it likes yet behind closed doors they do not care one jot about whether a season ticket holder who has been supporting the club for decades is out of pocket because of the fixture rearrangements.

This disrespect has been made even clearer with the club position on the recent salary cap scandal.

I encourage those who do not like the way that the club is operating to vote with their feet. That doesn't mean that you've stopped supporting the team and the players but you can still support the team without supporting those who run the club.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:Totally agree with you 3grg people who can only mke it on a Saturday have been punished beyond reason by the schedulers, perhaps this is something that Tiger's management will take on board next season with an appropriate discount for those season ticket holders who can only make Saturdays.
If I could only make one day a week I wouldn't buy a season ticket. There's your discount.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Well said on the 22.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

There's some utter nonsense from people on here about these kick off times, dates etc.

I will say this again: THERE ISNOTHING THE CLUB, OR ANY OTHER CLUB CAN DO ABOUT IT!

They could all boycott games and not play but then they would be in breach of the TV contract so would be fined and would lose even more money as there would be no fans attending as there would be no games!

I swear some people post these things to wind me and others up!

By the way, I couldn't make the game today due to the day it was on and the ridiculous time it was kicking off. The club should be ashamed that almighty me couldn't make it. How dare they treat me like this?! (Tongue firmly in cheek)
onthe22

Post by onthe22 »

ellis9 wrote:There's some utter nonsense from people on here about these kick off times, dates etc.

I will say this again: THERE ISNOTHING THE CLUB, OR ANY OTHER CLUB CAN DO ABOUT IT!

They could all boycott games and not play but then they would be in breach of the TV contract so would be fined and would lose even more money as there would be no fans attending as there would be no games!

I swear some people post these things to wind me and others up!

By the way, I couldn't make the game today due to the day it was on and the ridiculous time it was kicking off. The club should be ashamed that almighty me couldn't make it. How dare they treat me like this?! (Tongue firmly in cheek)
Please refer to the post I made earlier this evening.

There is plenty the club could have done about it and have had many opportunities to do so.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Please refer to my previous post.
onthe22

Post by onthe22 »

ellis9 wrote:Please refer to my previous post.
Your post has been answered by the one I made earlier.
bigphil

Post by bigphil »

Posting statements on a forum does not make them true though onthe22. Leicester Tigers as 1/12 shareholders of Premier Rugby Ltd have as much influence as any other member club which is not much if they are unable to get the support of at least 6 other club representatives.

Also, Peter Tom (not Peter Wheeler) has been on the board of PRL since September 2015.