22) Burns
23) Goneva
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up

Post by Iain »

Strong!!!

Surprised to see Fitzgerald not in the second row with Croft and Pearce available, a lot of trust in De Chaves clearly. But certainly doesn't weaken the side.

Look at those bench options!!!
Last edited by Iain on Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Happy for De Chaves was one of the most passionate players last season.

That backline looks Very Very tasty hard on Burns but adds rotation and gives Owen a chance to stamp a 6N's spot.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

RagingBull wrote:Happy for De Chaves was one of the most passionate players last season.

That backline looks Very Very tasty hard on Burns but adds rotation and gives Owen a chance to stamp a 6N's spot.
Burns looked to be struggling after Saturday, perhaps not fully fit. Perhaps also Williams being arguably a better kicker from hand will be better suited to the conditions where we might need to put the Saints back three under pressure. Wonderful to have the choice.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

15 Foden
14 Elliott
13 North
12 Burrell
11 Collins
10 Hanrahan
9 Dickson (capt)
1 Waller
2 Haywood
3 Hill
4 Lawes
5 Matfield
6 Gibson
7 Harrison
8 Dickinson

16 Hartley
17 Waller
18 Denman
19 Day
20 Wood
21 Kessell
22 Myler
23 Mallinder
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

Have to say that I am reasonably happy with the team selection - yes hard on Freddy and De Chaves may have not been my first choice but on the whole - I LIKE IT - TTTTTTTTTTTIIIIIIIIIIIIGGGGGGGGGGGGGEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRS
Hehehehehehehehe
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

RagingBull wrote:Happy for De Chaves was one of the most passionate players last season.

Passionate but not a front-line imo..still hope he has a big game

George North is an interesting one v Tait hope he can deal with that...

Backline looks very good though lets attack!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

JackFlashJonny wrote:

Passionate but not a front-line imo..still hope he has a big game
Derby games alot of it is about passion and who wants it more.
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

I might be controversial but i can't understand some of the decisions in the backs.

Yes, Burns looked tired towards the end but the only way of achieving match fitness is to give them game time. He was electric for 50mins and will only improve with more time on the park.
As much as i like Owen, he hasnt had played much so why put him in on such a big game? I would have started Burns personally.

Tait and Smith at 13 and 12 is certinaly a mismatch in size compared to Burrel and North. Tait looked slow last week which isnt surprising since he hasnt played at 13 all season. I really hope he proves me wrong and has a stand out performance. His discipline is what is keeping him in the team at present.

Ultimately, this game will be won upfront so hoping for massive improvements at the set piece.

Tight home win for me
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Timmers wrote:I might be controversial but i can't understand some of the decisions in the backs.

Yes, Burns looked tired towards the end but the only way of achieving match fitness is to give them game time. He was electric for 50mins and will only improve with more time on the park.
As much as i like Owen, he hasnt had played much so why put him in on such a big game? I would have started Burns personally.

Tait and Smith at 13 and 12 is certinaly a mismatch in size compared to Burrel and North. Tait looked slow last week which isnt surprising since he hasnt played at 13 all season. I really hope he proves me wrong and has a stand out performance. His discipline is what is keeping him in the team at present.

Ultimately, this game will be won upfront so hoping for massive improvements at the set piece.

Tight home win for me
Williams has played 8 games this season was on the bench last weekend, not really rushed back in.

He is prob preffered due to his defence and tactical game.

Smith has been fine @ 12 this season and Tait whilst didn't look quick off the mark against Sarries was still fine in defence, I expect to see more lines from off the wing by Betham.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Re: Teams up v Saints

Post by Iain »

Lawes and Matfield is a hell of a second row to be fair to Saints. Getting to see Victor Matfield is one of those little treats you get watching the Premiership this season.

Interesting to see they still don't fancy Hartley to start. Though I do hope elements of our fans don't show themselves up by booing him when he comes on. That isn't the rugby spirit.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Eddie Jones reported to now be coming to this game.

Gives the likes of Cole, Youngs, Kitchener, O'Connor maybe even smith and Mccaffrey one more shot to get a england spot.

Ben Youngs is prob our only nailed on ATM.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

Remember reading somewhere that Burns had recently struggled with lights and rain, as he still had vestigial slight problems with closing his eye. Perhaps the forecast has had something to do with the selection at 10?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

That's a great looking squad, loads of talent all over the park, confident for a home win.

COME ON YOU TIGERRRRrrrrsssss

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I personally would have gone for Crofty and Burns.

Burns I like and I think he is playing well but understand going with Williams. I presume we are going for a territory game which is why I am surprised we haven't played Croft. Saints line out with Lawes, Matfield and Gibson will be strong. I would like Croft to be in there as he would counter one of their biggest weapons.