Veainu and Thomo-what commitment and stunning defence

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Veainu and Thomo-what commitment and stunning defence

Post by TomWeston »

You have to pray that Cockers got his moniker on an extended contract before yesterday. The whole world will want gas like that!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

However, there was a Betham try-saving tackle on Saili, very early in the second half (c42 minutes) - didn't have to run the length of the pitch to make it though.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Skin_and_Muscle wrote:
Darc Tiger wrote:Betham made the most telling contribution at the following ruck to win the turnover.
I think that was Veainu, again. He stepped past the ball to keep three arriving Munster players occupied while other covering defenders did the poaching.
Veainu steps through the ruck, and perhaps risks giving away a penalty himself, Betham is first to latch onto the ball, then McCaffrey comes in to help.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Great team effort all-round then......

:smt023
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

TomWeston wrote:You have to pray that Cockers got his moniker on an extended contract before yesterday. The whole world will want gas like that!
I imagine they are working behind the scenes to secure this. Fortunately Veainu has stated that he wants to a one club man and that the club in question is Tigers. This was in a recent interview with the Merc. Sorry don't have the link.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

I've never seen that commitment and determination like that! Amazing chase down by Veainu and support from Thommo. We really have a strong team that want to play for each other, only bolstered by strong subs. As soon as I'd seen about 2-3 games from Veainu you could see that he will be very hard not to pick once he gets in. Remember we have two centres to come back into this as well. Looking forward to the Newcastle game already.

Voice of the Crumbie - link to Veainu story.
http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Veain ... story.html
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

The Tigers forum is quoted in Martin Crowson's article.

It was "one of the greatest pieces of defensive play witnessed at Welford Road for many a season" wrote a fan on a Tigers forum. They were spot on too.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/Marti ... story.html
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes Whitecap Tiger you are quite right it was Saili who ran almost the length of the field not earls, as he was brought down by that superb double tackle from Thommo and Veianu I thought I glimpsed the No. 11 shirt but it must have been 12 or was it 13 that Saili wore, whatever, it was a moment that will live long in the memory.
Timmers
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Timmers »

Veainu has shown agility, energy and incredible pace since arriving from the Rebels, and his try scoring return has been superb.

Does anyone know how he's already managed to play for the Highlanders, Crusaders and Rebels in the last 5 years, and not managed to make much of an impact at any of them. Often struggling to make the first team. (from what ive read)

How does that work?? It doesnt make much sense to me.
In terms of weaknesses, he doesnt pass it much and i havent seen enough examples under the high ball to judge on that, but when you have that sort of individual skill I cannot understand how he hasnt made more of a name for himself until now.

It will be interestnig when Tait returns from injury. So far, Veaniu has been pushed out to the wing to make way for tait at 15, but Goneva and Thomstone have now earnt their places on the wing, and Veaniu is arguably wasted out wide, so IMO its either sub or 13 for tait.

Strength in depth!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Going to be a bit controversial here. Having watched the recording of the game last night, including the replays, Saili passed the ball just as Veainu was about to tackle him. Veainu didn't make a tackle, which gave him the chance to get involved in the ruck. Saili was obviously scared about being tackled short of the line. Fantastic work by Veainu.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Timmers wrote: In terms of weaknesses, he doesnt pass it much and i havent seen enough examples under the high ball to judge on that, but when you have that sort of individual skill I cannot understand how he hasnt made more of a name for himself until now.

It will be interestnig when Tait returns from injury. So far, Veaniu has been pushed out to the wing to make way for tait at 15, but Goneva and Thomstone have now earnt their places on the wing, and Veaniu is arguably wasted out wide, so IMO its either sub or 13 for tait.

Strength in depth!
There was one point in the match when he should/could have kicked it from our 22 but tried, unsuccessfully, to step them. When you've got that much skill, it's hard to temper it but he'll learn to identify the best option in any given situation with game time.

I thought it was telling that he still managed to secure the ball and buy enough time for others to get back to resource the ensuing ruck. Had that been Goneva, I think Munster would have quickly turned the ball over and crossed the try line!!

With Veainu in the squad, and Thompstone playing well, I'd happily jettison Goneva for Tait (and greater control at fullback).
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Tait over Goneva !!!!!!??? You must be joking

First and foremost Tait is a Full back . Period.

Goneva is a wing-a proven 100% matchwinner

Tait is not a matchwinner, just a good squad player

Veainu is the new kid on the block and now undisputed No 15
Tait and Morris will be the back up

As Sunday showed conclusively-what I have said on here year in year out-it is true pace that wins matches

Or, in our case, SAVES matches, as proved on Sunday
Tait and Morris would still be on the halfway line now trying to catch Salli
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

fortysix wrote:Tait over Goneva !!!!!!??? You must be joking

First and foremost Tait is a Full back . Period.

Goneva is a wing-a proven 100% matchwinner

Tait is not a matchwinner, just a good squad player

Veainu is the new kid on the block and now undisputed No 15
Tait and Morris will be the back up

As Sunday showed conclusively-what I have said on here year in year out-it is true pace that wins matches

Or, in our case, SAVES matches, as proved on Sunday
Tait and Morris would still be on the halfway line now trying to catch Salli
It is pretty obvious he means Veainu on the wing with Tait at fullback instead of Goneva at 15...

However why he would want to lose such a match winner is odd Goneva scores great tries like last weeks..

Whilst I agree with you mostly Tait is king when tactical kicking comes into play and under the high ball..I doubt Veainu will be starting at 15 v Sarries as his kicking game means we will be forever in our half..Will be interesting to see though who is picked..

Plus whilst amazing if that was Zebo or Earls Munster would have been away, Saili like Tuilagi does not have the top end pace of a back three player..
Bowden Tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Bowden Tiger »

In all the discussion about our defence, don't forget. Matt Smith, who was outstanding again. He has really benefited from the new coaching team.
In fact several voices on the terrace on Sunday evening, suggested that he is as good in defence as any of the current England centres. I have to agree!
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

fortysix wrote: .... First and foremost Tait is a Full back . Period. ....
Totally disagree - his best games for Tigers have all been at 13 where he seems much more comfortable - a good full back but much better centre/wing. He actually seems to have too much time to think at full back.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."