Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Teams up v Munster

Post by Maidman »

longlivethecrumbie wrote:
Spicer wrote:My main worry is actually Slater at 6. He was really bad there last week. I would prefer him in the locks and Fitzgerald at 6.
Slates is packing down at 8
My lad spotted that too. But Slater was at 8 when it was Munsters put in, probably cos he added a bit more weight, and the was at 6 for our own scrums, probably because McCaffery could control the ball better at the base of the scrum.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

Furthermore who ever was on the microphone cannot identify our players as Kitchener returns from the sin bin - No it is Barrow!! and Subs came on then announced later & still wrong.
Precisely, the usual incumbent, (Martin Ballard is it?) is bad enough but this guy was terrible, either do the job properly or not at all.
I have felt for some time that our stadium announcements are among the worst of quite a few ground I have visited (obviously, missing out LI, Saffas and Wasps!)
Steve56
Tiger Cub

Post by Steve56 »

I fully agree about Matt Smith, a stand-out performance.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Was really impressed with Barrow when he came on (bar YC)

Considering he is only 22 a great signing and getting a lot more game time than he might have first thought.

Feel for De Chaves looked great last season just to much depth ATM.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by PM76 »

Brilliant win, bits to work on in the performance but I agree with Cockers that Munster were much better than last week! Huge performances from McCaffrey, Slater and Smith, Slater will play himself into the England side playing like that and, dare I say it, if Smith were at Sarries he would be in the EPS squad- but alas I have a hunch Barritt will still be there at 12... But he is not and Tigers is the one place he is appreciated IMO!!

Also good performances from Youngs (x2), O'Connor, Burns, who looked good given how long he has been out for, and the back 3 + Betham all played well. Thought Barrow was decent but that is the second time he has given a silly penalty away just before half-time, I think the other was at Exeter. Agree with Raging Bull's comments on De Chaves- probably the unluckiest player in the sqad- hoping Tigers can keep hold of him though- I thought he was excellent last year!

Final thought isthat picking Newcomer of the Year will be particularly hard this year... Absolutely superb recruitment.
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

Anyone have a link to full game online?
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

vin rouge wrote:Anyone have a link to full game online?
+1, I missed the second half (the best half I believe?)
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I agreed with much of Cockerill's after match interview.
Munster played quite well and missed a few points.
Tigers played well and took more points and there was some brilliant scramble defending from Tigers.
The game was played right on the edge.
Tigers are playing well around the breakdown and disrupting superbly in defence and taking the ball to the line in attack in opposition territory, makes them a little vulnerable to the intercept but it's worth it and with a scramble that good from distance no matter.
It's exciting rugby.
Cheery chappy
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

WhitecapTiger wrote: I didn't hear the interviews but at least Foley couldn't blame the ref this week, Munster got far more of the decisions today - head scratchingly so at times
Not according to the Munster fans, on their forum. TY took a couple of steps our way at each line out, according to them. If they had watched closely he initially stood where the TJ indicated touch and when Munster had formed up moved to the centre, where he proceeded to throw straight, unlike their 2. As for their persistent(constant?) offside and at least two blatant knock downs, at least one of which in the Crumbie/new CAT corner red zone which prevented a likely try, words fail me!
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Agree with all the comments about Matt Smith. He also packed down in the scrum when Barrow was in the bin. He may not have a show stopping side step but he brings so much else onto the pitch, usually a player from the opposition :smt003 And his work rate... :smt041
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

TomWeston wrote:
WhitecapTiger wrote: I didn't hear the interviews but at least Foley couldn't blame the ref this week, Munster got far more of the decisions today - head scratchingly so at times
Not according to the Munster fans, on their forum. TY took a couple of steps our way at each line out, according to them. If they had watched closely he initially stood where the TJ indicated touch and when Munster had formed up moved to the centre, where he proceeded to throw straight, unlike their 2. As for their persistent(constant?) offside and at least two blatant knock downs, at least one of which in the Crumbie/new CAT corner red zone which prevented a likely try, words fail me!
I think Garces had words with their Hooker at one point for stepping towards his own side on line out throws, don't recall anything like that being said to OTY.

After watching the match back again just now, and THAT knock on, I'm tending to agree with Ben Kay that Hurley was committed to the tackle and it hit his arm rather than him slapping it down, although at the time I was howling that much about it that my eye patch nearly dislodged :smt002 in slow motion it looks worse but at full speed it doesn't look deliberate....to me at least.

Ed Slater asked the ref the question and Garces clearly said not deliberate.

Have seen those given on other days though. Didn't affect the overall result fortunately, could have done as it was from the resulting scrum that we fluffed our lines and Saili headed off towards our line.....

Commentators also made a fair bit of reference to players trying to ref the game (Garces had words with both teams about it.) Conor Murray constantly at it and CJ Stander appeared to be whinier than a whiney thing at times.....ref decision given and no amount of pointing, moaning or theatrical hand waving should change that, players shouldn't (IMHO) be asking the ref to consult the TMO for normal play incidents. On or off field officials should be the only ones invoking replays etc from things they have seen, not been told about by players, often with a good level of gamesmanship.

Ben Youngs did one-handed knock on a pass to a charging CJ Stander at one point though - officials missed it completely.
Last edited by WhitecapTiger on Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I'm sorry that forum members don't realise the only reason we lost last night was because of the referee - if you don't believe me read the Munster fans forum! :smt003
They really do make our efforts seem positively sane and well balanced.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

DickyP wrote:I'm sorry that forum members don't realise the only reason we lost last night was because of the referee

I was there. and I have checked the records. WE WON!!! Despite the referee constantly allowing them to be offside!

:smt027 :smt027 :smt027
Still keeping the faith!
parkerd68
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by parkerd68 »

I noticed on the Munster forum that one of their posters said that the worst thing about these two weeks is that Leicester "genuinely aren't very good".

Two things IMO. First, we are pretty damn good at the moment I think. Second, he/she obviously never saw a Tigers game last season!