Tigers chants & songs

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

DickyP
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers chants & songs

Post by DickyP »

What about not bothering with something the fans obviously don't want and isn't 'in their psyche': some fans sing, some don't and we don't.

There is no problem with the fans when the team are playing well and trying hard (despite the demonstrably untrue myth that the Cat Stand - or whatever it is called now - fans don't cheer their team on) and tend to quietness when they don't.

As for the myth of the big stand not cheering - it's only based on how it feels not on the amount the fans give: a small, enclosed space made to a great part out of wood, compared with the resonance of a large open space of steel and concrete, gives a better feedback - big surprise that!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Elvis is not a part of Rock Bottom. Michael Clark aka Elvis is a long term Tigers supporter who has special needs. Many will remember him collecting glasses in the Tiger Bar thirty or more years ago. Rock Bottom allow him to sing about three numbers, his fans in the Final Whistle bought him his outfit and look forward in a strange sort of way to his numbers. I think Brian of Rock bottom has the balance right and is in tune with the Tiger's fans.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

Please release me is commonly sung by the terrace when the ref penalises the opposition for holding on.

Owen Williams to the tune of bread of heaven is also common, as is you' re a very naughty boy to any opposition player heading to the sin bin. Stand up and scrum like men is a popular refrain to a continuously collapsing opposition.there are many more.

There is much singing and general jocularity behind the opposition dugout . Feel free to join in.
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Must be sung queitly as I have been a Terrace dweller for many years and never heard it.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Stood behind the home dugout for years before having to get a seat in the Crumbie. Never heard a note from the other side of the aisle! Ever. And my hearing is good.
Valhalla I am coming!
Blabyboy

Post by Blabyboy »

I knew two guys, they may have been brothers. Who I shared the odd pint with at the wheatsheaf in whetstone. They told me this anecdote, feel free to correct any errors but this is as I remember....
They had tickets to the European cup final against Munster, I think it was in Paris. Their tickets turned out to be in a predominantly Munster stand. They had a great time and the Munster supporters were wonderful and involved the chaps in the bravado and the Craig. As expected the boys in red bashed out the songs throughout, the fields of athenry etc. During this, the two guys in green were invited to stand and perform a tigers song of their choice, very generous, the brothers looked each other in the eye, stood proudly and sang........tiiiiiiiiggggggeeeeeerrrrrssssss!!!!!!
The Munster men pelted them with beer cans and their singing days were over.
The sooner we get done, the more we can do !
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

I have been in a similar situation myself in Wales and it would have been great to have a good traditional song with which to respond.

However we do not and don't feel comfortable with going down the Saracens route of either creating a tacky song (Here we go) or stealing someone elses (Stand up....)

Wish that there was a solution, but I haven't seen or heard an outright winner yet.

The best for me of late is the couple of lines from Rock Bottom version of REMs the one I love as LT suggested (but without the band on the pitch :smt001 ). Certainly works in the bar.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Blabyboy wrote:I knew two guys, they may have been brothers. Who I shared the odd pint with at the wheatsheaf in whetstone. They told me this anecdote, feel free to correct any errors but this is as I remember....
They had tickets to the European cup final against Munster, I think it was in Paris. Their tickets turned out to be in a predominantly Munster stand. They had a great time and the Munster supporters were wonderful and involved the chaps in the bravado and the Craig. As expected the boys in red bashed out the songs throughout, the fields of athenry etc. During this, the two guys in green were invited to stand and perform a tigers song of their choice, very generous, the brothers looked each other in the eye, stood proudly and sang........tiiiiiiiiggggggeeeeeerrrrrssssss!!!!!!
The Munster men pelted them with beer cans and their singing days were over.
This was in Cardifff..I was a young teen and remember walking out and seeing the sea of Red all signing fields of athenry, still to this day sends shivers down my spine..Just disappointed we have nothing of the sort as Welford road in song would be amazing..
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

All great traditions have to start somewhere, sometime...
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Grimlish wrote:All great traditions have to start somewhere, sometime...
Exactly so lets start one...I want people to be saying that Leicester fans have been singing this song since boxing day 2015..then we can start some great and untrue rumour why we started singing it :smt023
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

just seen this on a tigers twitter site

Sleigh bells ring
Are you listening
In the lane
Snow is glistening
A beautiful sight,
We're happy tonight
Walking in a Tigers wonderland
Hehehehehehehehe
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

With or without songs I thought the crowd were good yesterday and rose to the occasion. Every time they started up fields of Athenry we drowned them out. We just need to learn to do the same when there are no opposition fan to compete with
sebco
Tiger Cub

Post by sebco »

Weren't Showaddywaddy a leicester band, just a thought. :smt035
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

sebco wrote:Weren't Showaddywaddy a leicester band, just a thought. :smt035
Perhaps a rendition of Mud's "Thats neat, thats neat,I really love your Tiger feet" serenaded to Veianu :smt002
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

If you watched the Clermont match at the weekend, you will have a good idea of what is required to generate excitement at a match.

1). A demographic half the age of Tigers supporters!

2). No contrived songs. Just chants.

3). A properly equipped and musically competent set of drummers. Unlike those of Wasps, Saffas, etc.

4). Live music before kickoff

5). Someone with real oomph to get the crowd gee 'd up before the match

6). Call and response when team is announced with pictures on the screen

7). All of the above

8). Yes, ALL of the above

9). No contrived songs (again!)
Valhalla I am coming!