Worcester v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Re: Worcester v Tigers

Post by salcombe bob »

I was there and at last I've witnessed a Tigers win. Pretty average first half but much improved in the second with the wind, Wuss only getting in our half 2 or 3 times.

I thought we were patient and built the pressure up. At the end it was a good win. :smt038
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

sapajo wrote:Crowson tweeted Mike Williams has suspected broken arm :smt010

So cruel he has been our stand out forward this season fingers crossed for a full and swift recovery. :smt023
I suspect Fitzgerald and McCaffrey would fight him for that accolade, but disappointing if it is a break.

On the flip side, it's a sign of the relatively good position that the squad is in that it still leaves a selection headache for next week. Croft at 6? Options with both Slater and Fitz being able to play there? The lineout options could be awesome!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Hot_Charlie wrote:
sapajo wrote:Crowson tweeted Mike Williams has suspected broken arm :smt010

So cruel he has been our stand out forward this season fingers crossed for a full and swift recovery. :smt023
I suspect Fitzgerald and McCaffrey would fight him for that accolade, but disappointing if it is a break.

On the flip side, it's a sign of the relatively good position that the squad is in that it still leaves a selection headache for next week. Croft at 6? Options with both Slater and Fitz being able to play there? The lineout options could be awesome!
Good headaches to have!

:smt026
Still keeping the faith!
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Any news on Bateman's injury? Didn't hear why he left the field.
RWA
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RWA »

Me too, missed him going off and just saw Tom Youngs coming on, so assumed it was an injury ? Back row balance was a problem yesterday, Croft clearly isn't a 7 so we had nobody competing at the breakdown and in the first half, the forwards were walking to rucks on several occasions when they were down in our corner, which was a worry. Luckily, Youngs and McCaffrey shook things up and we were much better in the second half. Veainu is a quality player, low centre of gravity, quick feet, he caused problems the whole game and his try was magical. I think we were exposed in midfield as well, Bai is solid and Betham is doing a great job out of position, but as soon as we can get JDV and Manu firing, we'll be a whole lot better. Sat in the stand, I don't think we got a true feel of how bad the wind actually was. A couple of box kicks from Wuss in the second half came back and flew over the scrum half head ! Williams kicked well to the corner where the wind was gusting. Good day out and on the face of it, 5 valuable points.
salcombe bob
Super User
Super User

Post by salcombe bob »

For those that go to Tigers all the time I expect you've seen Tom Youngs on the rampage, and yesterday, when he made a break, his speed was amazing.

As for the wind it did blow the ball back to the box kicker but the prime example of the strength was when a well struck penalty of theirs, looking like it would easily go over, soared up in the air and came back! :smt039
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

salcombe bob wrote:For those that go to Tigers all the time I expect you've seen Tom Youngs on the rampage, and yesterday, when he made a break, his speed was amazing.

As for the wind it did blow the ball back to the box kicker but the prime example of the strength was when a well struck penalty of theirs, looking like it would easily go over, soared up in the air and came back! :smt039
Totally agree on comments about OTY, really changed the dynamic with McCaffrey when they came on.

I was in the big stand and right down the line of the Wuss pen, my heart sank when he struck it, but it soon fell well short of the posts, looked like wind blew it back to 10yards in front of the posts! Williams on the other hand, nailed a long straight penalty goal even in that wind, top class kicking.

Forgot to add that Wuss winger Heem, looked really good all game, I was told by my Wuss fan friend that he was signed from Hawkes Bay, he was big, quick and really hard to pull down, looks a real find for them.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

RWA wrote:Croft clearly isn't a 7 so we had nobody competing at the breakdown and in the first half, the forwards were walking to rucks on several occasions when they were down in our corner, which was a worry. Luckily, Youngs and McCaffrey shook things up and we were much better in the second half.
It's something we're going to have to live with I think. O'Connor is obviously first choice 7 with McCaffrey behind. With McCaffrey proving to be valuable playing at 7 or 8 and therefore playing so much there had to come a point they'd both need to be rotated out of the starting 15. Thereafter Croft is probably the best option.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

I thought it was an odd game. We seemed to be trying our best to lose it at several points, with missed line outs, dropped passes and Crane stopping many many moves. Delighted with a BP and slightly surprised. We were at the other end of the ground from the penalty try, what actually happened? It seemed to me that a PT and a yellow was a bit harsh.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

northerntiger wrote: We were at the other end of the ground from the penalty try, what actually happened? It seemed to me that a PT and a yellow was a bit harsh.
Persistent offending by Wuss I would say and not just during those phases. Guess Barnes just had enough of it.

Around 7 minutes on this highlights link (select the highlights tab then select the Warriors v Tigers match). You can hear Barnes telling wuss to get on their feet, stay onside.

http://www.premiershiprugby.tv/?WT.mc_i ... ther:Video

He was clearly telling them what not to do but they still did it. I don't think the double whammy was harsh at all.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Fair enough. Like I said, we couldn't really see. Pretty gloomy floodlights at Wuss
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Another get out of gaol card played. How many do we have in the pack?

Also thought we had the rub of the green somewhat today, thanks DO'C. :smt023

Nice to see the 2nd row beasting it up a bit more and not just leaving it to one, step, two step, go to ground Crane.

Still need to work on some of those basic skills though, too many loose passes being thrown around.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

Although Tigers did not play as well as we would have wished there are a couple of points to consider. Worcester played extremely well in the first half hour. However it was Tigers' driving maul and scrum pressure that forced the yellow / red cards. So the handling game may not have been at its best but the old style Tigers' grit, passion and forward power saw us through. We do well not to forget our traditional strengths.

One final opinion. In the first half our defensive shape was not what it has been hence the 2 tries. I believe this to be down to us having a completely different 10,12 and 13 partnership for this game. The defensive organisation of Matt Smith was absent. New combinations need actual game time to gel.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

Don't forget Worcester are not used to losing at home, don't see any sides getting an easy ride there- grate to bag 5 points
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

From the little we saw on the highlights, it was evident that Tigers were exerting a lot of pressure all over the park in the later part of the game and a spirited Wuss couldn't keep us out without conceding penalties. Nice to see us both not giving in and also grinding out the win, confidence high for Munster(hoping to be there too).
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.