Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Sam Burgess - returning to Australia - updated

Post by watsonjm »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
watsonjm wrote:
LE18 wrote:I cannot argue against what you have added here but I sincerely believe he knew what he was doing coming to Union, he was in a very high profile position in League and was obviously told that he would succead, sorry but I have no simpathy for him.
Maybe so and fair enough, we'll agree to disagree and, as JackFlash said, move on and forget the whole sorry saga.
we can't the 2 that brought him into the squad are currently still in their posts
I truly hope not for much longer.

I seem to rememebr reading somewhere that the review will be completed by the end of the month.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

watsonjm wrote: I truly hope not for much longer.

I seem to rememebr reading somewhere that the review will be completed by the end of the month.
but will the Turkey's vote for Christmas and admit their own stupidity?
vin rouge
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by vin rouge »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:

think their goose is cooked?
watsonjm
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by watsonjm »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:

I think so
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Re: Sam Burgess - returning to Australia?

Post by Hot_Charlie »

DCATsOLDMAN wrote:And the moral of the story - cross code transfers very rarely work, as we found in 2002 with Gareth Raynor!
Although we had success with Steve Booth at the same time.
refsguidedog
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by refsguidedog »

tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Now I know I have posted this before but, hey, talk about foresight, eh ?
"Russell Crowe realises that England at home in their World Cup will be a tough proposition for his native All Blacks.
Knowing that it will be divisive and that Burgess is unlikely to pick things up that quickly, he therefore touts Rabbitohs star player, an Englishman, to several Prem clubs and the RFU knowing that Lancaster and Farrell will readily & innocently want to bite his hand off at the prospect. Fortunately, at the same time, Burgess decides he wants to be back in England again.
Bath get their cheque book out first, to much apparent grumpy reaction from the other clubs who were touted, and the RFU stump up some of the fee too.
The RFU are now committed to ensuring that Burgess makes England's RWC team. They therefore offer Lancaster and coaches a commitment through to 2020 on the proviso that they pick Burgess. The boys say Yep, No problem, contracts are signed, and the Chairman of the RFU has his 'leap of faith' moment.
Bath struggle to work out what Burgess's best position is whilst the lad himself struggles to adapt . That's no problem for the England coaching team though - they know it will be all right on the night or at least until 2020!
Burgess makes the team, a star from a different but similar game playing overseas, and is picked ahead of capable England players established in the side and English stars who play the same game overseas ( different positions, I know, but it's the principle I'm on about).
Burgess looks lost in the team and has to be 'minded' by other players. The balance of the team goes to pot, several players commitment and noses are put out of joint, net result a disjointed loss to Wales when actually the lad played quite well that saps the players and puts their RWC on a knife edge leading to a nervy & leaden footed performance against Australia.
Net result for Crowe? The All Blacks see one of their main rivals for the trophy fail at the first hurdle with the added benefit of helping his adopted Australia, and the lad returns to the Rabbitohs in 2016.
It would be a great plan if true but I told my mate there isn't a shred of evidence to back it up."
Until today that is.............!!
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

This was Ford senior three days ago...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/34703485

I can't bring myself to feel any sympathy towards Bath, but I imagine he's feeling somewhat bemused by the whole situation.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

Shame that England management treated him so poorly, playing him out of position and setting him up to fail.

He's still only 26, so young enough for another WC, unless taking him back would put Bath over the SC! :smt003.
Valhalla I am coming!
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Watsonjm, there you are , tigercaspian's version is much better than the one you posted. I know which one I prefer! :smt039 :smt045
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

What a chancer. good bye and good riddance. :smt039

Shame we can't also send the coaches and RFU muppets to Aus - we used to be able to get rid of undesirables that way - why was it discontinued?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

G.K wrote:What a chancer. good bye and good riddance. :smt039

Shame we can't also send the coaches and RFU muppets to Aus - we used to be able to get rid of undesirables that way - why was it discontinued?
they started to beat us at sport regularly
Latecomer

Post by Latecomer »

Chancer? He was plainly offered a lot of money to move and which of us wouldn't do the same if offered a new job and a pay rise. I feel very sorry for him. He's clearly very talented, but the two games are very different. It's not his fault he was picked for the World Cup over Burrell, not his fault he was selected at centre and not his fault he simply wasn't ready. Lancaster, Farrell (to whom almost exactly the same happened let's not forget) and the RFU are to blame. Get on their case.
LittleBigG

Post by LittleBigG »

I bet there is some cursing going on in Bath's marketing department http://tinyurl.com/nhx6bvy

A tiny part of my black heart is feeling sorry for Mr. Moneybags Craig about the whole situation. Oh wait, no it isn't.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

I have 3 things to say about the whole Sam Burgess saga.

1) He will be no loss at all to Rugby Union

2) Even though I am glad he has gone back to League, he should be ashamed of himself. He has been playing Union for 1 year and has already given up. That, to me, shows what time of player and person he is.

3) What a complete waste of time, energy and effort!