Sam Burgess - returning to Australia - updated

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Sam Burgess - returning to Australia - updated

Post by rocktop51 »

On my way home this evening listening to Radio 5 Alastair Eykyn reports Burgess may want to return to RL in OZ and join up with his brothers
He then tweeted the following.

Alastair Eykyn ‏@alastaireykyn

If you missed it on @5liveSport earlier Sam Burgess has been given time out by Bath to consider his future in rugby union

If he does go it won't help SL et al
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Sam Burgess - returning to Australia?

Post by kpj tiger »

If he does go back it will be a sorry end to the saga, also makes a mockery of his "im targeting the 2019 WC" statements

If it turns out to be true I feel sorry for the likes of Eliot Daly who missed out on a home WC because of Burgess
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

If Bath replace him with Picamoles / Faletau then they will have traded up IMO.

Don't see that this has any effect on Lancaster either - his international career was always going to be a short marriage of convenience :smt009
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

kpj tiger wrote:If it turns out to be true I feel sorry for the likes of Eliot Daly who missed out on a home WC because of Burgess
Agree Daly should have gone to WC, but it was Burrell that missed out to Burgess...
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

In hindsight Daly is probably quite glad he wasn't mixed up in the WC fiasco!

Burgess had nothing to do with us going out early though. The problems run much deeper.

I wouldn't blame Sam for wanting to return to league. He could be a good Union player, maybe a good international in time, but in league he is world class. I also think he has been given a rough ride by a lot of the public. It is not his fault he was picked and he always gave his all. No player in the world would turn round and say no thanks to a WC place but many act like that is almost what he should have done.

Good luck to him whatever he decides.
rdracup
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rdracup »

If Burgess goes back to RL, then he wins, as he gets to do what he does best, Bath will have some money and less salary cap pressure, but AF and SL will look a little silly, play a Bath back row at centre and investing in totally the wrong player. Agree SB is not the cause of England's RWC failure, but SB's decision highlights who is, assuming reports are true.
I just hope Ritchie is as ruthless as he is rumoured to be. If the biased panel do fire SL, guess who will be seen as totally in charge, yes Mr Ritchie.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Looking like an expensive mistake - by England and Bath!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

All respect has now gone. If true (and I fully expect him to return to RL) he is exposed as just another opportunistic chancer from RL who managed to con the RFU muppets that he was the next chosen one. :smt009
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

G.K wrote:All respect has now gone. If true (and I fully expect him to return to RL) he is exposed as just another opportunistic chancer from RL who managed to con the RFU muppets that he was the next chosen one. :smt009
I rather think that it was an RFU goon or goons that conned him? It really make you wonder if there are any brains in the RFU with a a gram of common sense?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

TigerCam wrote:
G.K wrote:All respect has now gone. If true (and I fully expect him to return to RL) he is exposed as just another opportunistic chancer from RL who managed to con the RFU muppets that he was the next chosen one. :smt009
I rather think that it was an RFU goon or goons that conned him? It really make you wonder if there are any brains in the RFU with a a gram of common sense?
You see Rob Andrew being involved then?

:smt005
Still keeping the faith!
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

If he goes, and I think it still is 'IF' theni think a few people will look like muppets. I also feel a bit sorry for Mike Ford as I think he is a fairly genuine bloke, and he like a whole lot of others will have been unfairly conned.

Slancaster is a joke. Time he went of his own accord. He can't really think his performance in the RWC was good enough to keep his job. Perhaps he should go back to RL too!

Sorry strayed a bit off topic there.

Burgess. Pah!
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Maidman wrote:If he goes, and I think it still is 'IF' theni think a few people will look like muppets. I also feel a bit sorry for Mike Ford as I think he is a fairly genuine bloke, and he like a whole lot of others will have been unfairly conned.

Slancaster is a joke. Time he went of his own accord. He can't really think his performance in the RWC was good enough to keep his job. Perhaps he should go back to RL too!

Sorry strayed a bit off topic there.

Burgess. Pah!
At best Mike Ford was gullible. But less gullible than SLancaster!

But who gulled them?

RAndrew!!

:smt003
Still keeping the faith!
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Mike Ford did the best he could with him - which didn't involve him playing at centre...

Indifferent to whether he stays or goes. What England need is a 7. We have plenty of options at 6 and centre without muddying the waters with a convert. Andy Farrell? Henry Paul? Shontayne Hape? All league "Messiahs" at centre - of which none really starred.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

In years to come, I will look back and say that I must have blinked and missed this flash in the pan.
I'm more than happy to move on now he's (probably) going back to league.
Nothing personal towards the individual: just disappointed for the players who missed out on the squad or the matchday 23, in a home world cup, disastrous as it was.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man