Jean De Villiers - UPDATED - threads merged

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jean De Villiers - UPDATED - threads merged

Post by Bunchy »

Surprised there's not more excitement about this (potential but likely) star signing...
Less is more....
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Re: JDV

Post by WhitecapTiger »

http://forum.leicestertigers.com/viewto ... &start=270

There's chat about JDV on there, come in a page or three from the end....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think that there would be more excitement if we had firmer news and if
maybe JDV was a tad younger. At 34 what length of contract are we offering him.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Noddy555 wrote:I think that there would be more excitement if we had firmer news and if
Until the end of the season. That's all.
FrontRowUnionMember
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by FrontRowUnionMember »

Wouldn't be a stunner if/when JDV is announced, next summer's a marquee signing is revealed??
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Noddy555 wrote:I think that there would be more excitement if we had firmer news and if
Didn't stop them signing Thorne. I honestly don't know why people think its a good idea to be signing these players who'll be around for a season at most and in most cases don't make any real impact.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Roly.... for clarification purposes are you saying that you didn't see any point in Thorn playing last season and that you think he made no impact?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Roly wrote:
Didn't stop them signing Thorne. I honestly don't know why people think its a good idea to be signing these players who'll be around for a season at most and in most cases don't make any real impact.
Thorn did what he was signed for and more imo.

Maybe Tigers are a bit more savvy than, say some posters, when it comes to how long they want to sign.players for and for that matter, which players.

I don't get why you feel happy to judge a player and condemn before they've even pulled on a shirt, you have no idea what terms and conditions have been offered, it could turn out to be a shrewd move...then again it might not.

What effect will he have on our younger players here, ideas at training etc? Kitch spoke very highly of Brad Thorn's influence, on and off the pitch.

Judge afterwards by all means.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Iain wrote:Roly.... for clarification purposes are you saying that you didn't see any point in Thorn playing last season and that you think he made no impact?
I didn't see the point in it and he made limited impact, he was injured for a while, for example.

Shrewd move? Whitecap. He's 34, not going to be around long and one player doesn't make a team.

If you aspire to have a marquee player, bring young talent through from the academy, or at worse, sign a young EQ player from another club. Develop him and make him the envy of the League. That way, other teams will be trying to sign them as 'Marquee'.

This is short term gain (and that's pretty much yet to happen) for long term pain. There are too many foreign players at Tigers.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Johnnyg

Post by Johnnyg »

Roly wrote:
Iain wrote:Roly.... for clarification purposes are you saying that you didn't see any point in Thorn playing last season and that you think he made no impact?
I didn't see the point in it and he made limited impact, he was injured for a while, for example.

Shrewd move? Whitecap. He's 34, not going to be around long and one player doesn't make a team.

If you aspire to have a marquee player, bring young talent through from the academy, or at worse, sign a young EQ player from another club. Develop him and make him the envy of the League. That way, other teams will be trying to sign them as 'Marquee'.

This is short term gain (and that's pretty much yet to happen) for long term pain. There are too many foreign players at Tigers.
Err, over 100 caps for the Boks. Would have been their first choice IC in world cup. And we can't get another world class player this season. I find your logic that the correct alternative would be to sign no one to be quite flawed. Or perhaps you think Tigers haven't tried to sign anyone else? I simply cant see any long term pain in signing a world class experienced player for a season, rather than signing no one.
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Johnnyg wrote:
Roly wrote:

Err, over 100 caps for the Boks. Would have been their first choice IC in world cup. And we can't get another world class player this season. I find your logic that the correct alternative would be to sign no one to be quite flawed. Or perhaps you think Tigers haven't tried to sign anyone else? I simply cant see any long term pain in signing a world class experienced player for a season, rather than signing no one.
Yes, the shoot from the hip 'defender of Tigers policy at all costs' apologists didn't take long to get their knickers in a twist over this one did they.

I would like to see JDV play for Tigers, who wouldn't want the guy in their team. But, its a short sighted plan - and I didn't say sign no one either - Tigers may or may not have a long term plan, but successive seasons of late have pretty much proven that they don't when it comes to developing top class players. Its sign him, hope he does the biz for a year or two and move on.

When I say long term pain, I mean for the good of the club, not now, not this season, but in years to come. The short term gain of signing someone like JDV keeps the CA grinning inanely, but is papering over the cracks.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

For some, Tigers will always be papering over the cracks - as if there was a golden age when we didn't have 'cracks' and lost games we should've won. Bright side - BAH HUMBUG! Blue skies ahead - PSHAW! :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

Is it short sighted? We have quite a few young players in his position, what better way for them to progress by training alongside one of the best and getting his insight into their game?
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Roly wrote:

Roly: you are Jim Mallinder and I claim my £5 :smt003
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I am almost getting bored of typing this:

The fact that Tigers have consistently been in the market for a one year deal for a 12 this summer is a pretty clear indication that they think they have got the player they want for next season. They were prepared to spend big, but the right man isn't available until next season. In the meantime, with the ability to do so within the salary cap and club budget, it strikes me as a very good idea to sign someone to play in the 12 position who was prepared to sign a short term deal. The way to do that is sign someone with experience, who gives you the added bonus of mentoring some of the younger players around him who will learn a lot from him (if the thought of Manu learning off De Villiers doesn't excite you then it should!).

Thorn was brought in to add extra cover in the second row. Yes he had a couple of injuries, but was immense when he played. Speak to any forward and they'll tell you they learned a lot from his influential presence.

So actually, I see this as a very sensible LONG term move when you look at the bigger picture.
Last edited by Iain on Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.