London Irish Away

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bobmac
Top Cat
Top Cat

London Irish Away

Post by Bobmac »

Do Tigers fans usually drink pre match in a local pub? If so which one?
Reading Tiger

Re: London Irish Away

Post by Reading Tiger »

The “MadStad” is in a business park to the south of Reading, there are no pubs nearby. Reading town centre has more eating places & coffee shops than you can shake a stick at, but no really good pubs. Visiting supporters seem to drink at the railway station pub and get the ‘bus to & from the stadium.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

We went there once and agree about the area around the ground. We came straight home after the game but apparently the craic in the bar in the ground afterwards is good, a bit like the Final Whistle with an Irish band and decent service. So probably not like the Final Whistle after all. :smt010
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

When I go to Irish I go to the Swan Inn a bit of a trek away. Usually get a taxi to stadium and back.

But it's where a lot of the Irish fans go and they keep the wolf hounds at always have a good craic there.

Good ales and food.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Never mind the pubs, will we have the Youngs brothers, Cole and Leo back or do they deserve/need a week off?
Soggypitch
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Soggypitch wrote:Never mind the pubs, will we have the Youngs brothers, Cole and Leo back or do they deserve/need a week off?
Youngs bros and Cole yes

Cockers said Leo had a slight injury and didn't want to play on it as he rather go to Leicester fit, as Cockers said makes a nice change.

If Leo is 100% I think I would have him on bench.

From there would be nice to see Cole and Youngs bros on bench for the first home game but again only if 100% no point rushing hem back, you don't win the AP at the start of season.

As has been suggested by other posters Chiefs game before CC game might be a good target date.
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Soggypitch wrote:Never mind the pubs, will we have the Youngs brothers, Cole and Leo back or do they deserve/need a week off?
Would they be having a week off if we were still in the World Cup... No.

I reckon that the fair options would be to load the bench with the returning internationals. Starting team

1. Mulipola
2. Thacker
3. Balmain
4. Slater (if fit) Fitzgerald
5. Kitchener (if Fit) De Chaves
6. Croft
7. Williams
8. Pearce
9. Harrison
10. Burns
11. Thompstone
12. Bai
13. Betham
14. Catchpole
15. Tait

16. Youngs (if fit) Bateman
17. Brugnara
18. Cole
19. Mcaffrey
20. Fonua
21. Youngs (if fit)White
22. Bell
23. Goneva
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Can't see Slater starting IF fit which I don't think he is anyway.

Would go with:
1) Mulipola
2) Bateman
3) Balmain
4) Fitzgerald
5) Kitchener/De Chaves
6) Croft
7) McCaffrey
8) Pearce
9) Harrison (c)
10) Burns
11) Thomsptone
12) Bai
13) Betham
14) Goneva (Would have nearly 2 weeks training with team so would start him)
15) Tait

16) Leo/Thacker
17) Brugnara
18) Pas
19) De Chaves/Williams
20) Williams/Fonua
21) Tresidder
22) Bell
23) Catchpole/Loamanu/Odogwu/Smith
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Looks like we have a fair few choices, I still don't know half of these players so it feels like a journey into the unknown for me this season!!
Soggypitch
PaleoTiger

Post by PaleoTiger »

RagingBull wrote:Can't see Slater starting IF fit which I don't think he is anyway.

Would go with:
1) Mulipola
2) Bateman
3) Balmain
4) Fitzgerald
5) Kitchener/De Chaves
6) Croft
7) McCaffrey
8) Pearce
9) Harrison (c)
10) Burns
11) Thomsptone
12) Bai
13) Betham
14) Goneva (Would have nearly 2 weeks training with team so would start him)
15) Tait

16) Leo/Thacker
17) Brugnara
18) Pas
19) De Chaves/Williams
20) Williams/Fonua
21) Tresidder
22) Bell
23) Catchpole/Loamanu/Odogwu/Smith
+1 Agree with your team RB. Just thinking out loud, all of a sudden, having Williams on the bench and starting with Croft is for the first time really putting pressure on Croft to perform very quickly. We've seen how good Williams is and Crofty needs to show that he is not starting on reputation alone. Whilst he was perfectly fine at the weekend, Williams certainly stuck in my mind more but that maybe just me watching the newbie.

Other point that came to mind is that why we are not looking at LoaManu as a 13? I've no argument at all with Bai @ 12, think he is our best 12 ATM, and Betham looks awesome so far, but I'd always seen LoaManu as the Tuilagi replacement yet PB has gazumped him already. We signed PB as a winger/FB, yet he has already established himself as a 13. It seems curious that assuming everyone is 100% fit,( I know that's a big ask!!!) then Tuilagi starts and surely PB goes on the wing, thus doesn't it make sense to play him on the wing in his "final" position and LoaManu at 13?

I trust the coaches as they know more than I do about players and tactics, but I hope that we are playing people in their strongest positions rather than cutting and carving until Tuilagi is fit again. I suppose ultimately we have lots of possibilities with our back line with the flexibility of wingers / centres / full back combos that we have a lot of options and I would rather our coaches have this embarrassment of riches than rattling the tin for any one who is fit to play.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Crofty has started the last 3 senior Preseason games, I just feel his ability in the Lineout will prob be needed more esp IF Kitchener isn't available.

I suspect Bai and Loamanu MIGHT be to one dimensional for what Mauger wants too play Whilst Bai has a distribution game neither have the same ability as Betham (And a fully fit Manu) of going round the opposition as well as run it up the middle so I guess defences would prob find it easier to figure out. Loamanu coming on @ 13 would change things up as the game would hopefully open up a bit more and be easier to put him in better one on one situations.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

According to Martin Crowson in the Merc, Betham was signed as winger/centre.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Selecting Loamanu and Smith for the Loughborough match, to my mind, was a last chance saloon for both, I doubt if we will see much of them this year.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

LE18 wrote:Selecting Loamanu and Smith for the Loughborough match, to my mind, was a last chance saloon for both, I doubt if we will see much of them this year.
Smith was selected for Loughbrough as he had a minor injury and hadn't been able to feature in the previous preseason games. hence why he started against Sale last week it was game time.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

I would hope if we have a pretty full fit squad we will be picking a team to do the job depending on the conditions and opposition. Until we really get into it I woul hope that some players haven't been 'written off' yet. will make a change going into a season having had a pretty good preseason and not missing half the squad through injury..
cheers
Rich