To those who did not bother turning up today!

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

To those who did not bother turning up today!

Post by Bill W (2) »

You missed a cracking game where the "Young Lads" + Matt Smith showed much talent and ability and, perhaps, we saw an insight into the "Mauger Style".

OK maybe you were all at Twickers supporting "loser" Lancaster!!

:smt027
Still keeping the faith!
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: To those who did not bother turning up today!

Post by jgriffin »

Bill W (2) wrote:You missed a cracking game where the "Young Lads" + Matt Smith showed much talent and ability and, perhaps, we saw an insight into the "Mauger Style".

I was walking 10 miles in my newly-resoled Scarpa boots and discovering that they had no resemblance to the great boots I have walked all over the UK in. It's a bit like watching the match tonight and finding out that 'England' that took the pitch bore no resemblance to most 'England' teams of the era before Lancaster, even the carp ones.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

jgriffin wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:You missed a cracking game where the "Young Lads" + Matt Smith showed much talent and ability and, perhaps, we saw an insight into the "Mauger Style".

I was walking 10 miles in my newly-resoled Scarpa boots and discovering that they had no resemblance to the great boots I have walked all over the UK in. It's a bit like watching the match tonight and finding out that 'England' that took the pitch bore no resemblance to most 'England' teams of the era before Lancaster, even the carp ones.
Alas old boots do not repair well and are not easily replaced! Sympathy!
Still keeping the faith!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

What against Loughborough Uni 2nds.
Whilst the fitness levels were even in the 1st half we were very very average.
Cheery chappy
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

You mean the England players?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The Boy Dave wrote:What against Loughborough Uni 2nds.
Who, as pointed out yesterday, had a majority core of ex-premiership academy players. Therefore quite reasonable opposition for a mainly academy side. That said, in attack they were somewhat limited and cointained by Tigers' defence (Roberts was excellent at 12)

Matt Smith did occassionally forget to pass though! :smt002
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

The Boy Dave wrote:What against Loughborough Uni 2nds.
Who, as pointed out yesterday, had a majority core of ex-premiership academy players. Therefore quite reasonable opposition for a mainly academy side. That said, in attack they were somewhat limited and cointained by Tigers' defence (Roberts was excellent at 12)

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

Hot_Charlie wrote:

But Mauger does appear to have taught him how to pass!! :smt026
Still keeping the faith!
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

But he still seems to ignore that unmarked man to his left ! A good entertaining game - Roberts very good , and the replacement 9 Ben White looked the real thing .
Maidman
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Maidman »

I was one of those at Twickenham.

Before the game the atmosphere was brilliant, but by half time I think we all knew how it was going to go. One of the quietest walks away from Twickenham I have ever known.

Had England won, it would have been amazing, and the decision to be there justified.

With the benefit of hindsight I think now I wish I had saved some money and instead watched Tigers.

I did think the Aussies were impressive though. They are my tip to win it.

Will be back in the Crumbie for the Premiership. Note explaining absence from my parents on its way!
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

If Jack Roberts had a step he'd be a super player, at the moment he's all straight line speed.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Stu_F wrote:If Jack Roberts had a step he'd be a super player, at the moment he's all straight line speed.
A lot can be said for running straight and fixing the defence and then unleashing a rampaging beast like Manu. Oops it's the tablets talking again :smt003
MCC1964
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MCC1964 »

Why does the title of this post have to be 'To those who did not bother turning up today!'? Why couldn't it be 'To those who did not make it to the match today'?

I must admit I have been searching around to get some members' opinions as to how it went as I was not able to attend, but everything (including this post) appears to be dominated by England.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

Stu_F wrote:If Jack Roberts had a step he'd be a super player, at the moment he's all straight line speed.
But for his "almost" try he did cover most of the pitch to go round half the opposition.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Roberts is very fast, but he ran a big curve, maybe if he had a step he might have scored on the inside. He is a bit small though, possibly too small for AP, bit like Thacker, who was active but I thought he did not stand out yesterday.

The 2 wingers impressed me, fast but again rather small, are they big enough to match up against today's trend for tall and heavy wingers?

Why did they pick Smith, yes he has learned to pass but his offloading is slow, was he given his last chance, he has been such a loyal player but? Similarly with Loamanu, was this his last chance, but I cannot see him getting in as a forward, even though he has played there, we have signed so many back rowers, he has been injured so often, looks strong in the centre but again was he just played for fitness?
Last edited by LE18 on Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.