Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

England vs Wales - Ford dropped

Post by Spicer »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34324696
Ford dropped for Farrell. Joseph injured, Burgess in.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Ford dropped/rotated out

Post by ourla »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34324696
England fly-half George Ford will be dropped for the World Cup Pool A match against Wales on Saturday, with Owen Farrell replacing him.

With injured centre Jonathan Joseph missing [injured] the game at Twickenham, rugby league convert Sam Burgess is set to start alongside Brad Barritt.
Reckon they want Farrell sticking the pens over and putting his body on the line thus protecting Ford for the Aussies.

The selection of Burgess indications they believe brawn and power is going to be more critical than guile and cunning.
G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: England vs Wales

Post by G.K »

Farrell was always going to get back in as soon as there was an excuse to do so.

Burgess is in because they have to make it look like all the money the RFU put in was a a good move.

I guess the worst player last week, Barritt will keep his place?

Will the scrum get shunted around like last week?

Will we be able to secure ruck ball with our back row?

Hopefully with the injuries the Welsh have England could still win but I wouldn't put any money on it.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: England vs Wales - Ford dropped

Post by ellis9 »

Dear god! :smt009

Farrell, Barritt and Burgess all at the same time! Looks like May and Watson are in for a boring game. They will not touch the ball with those 3 playing.

Genuinely more apprehensive and anxious about the game now.
Pellsey
Super User
Super User

Post by Pellsey »

This is a farce.

Oh well, Lancaster is setting himself up for a fall, which can only be positive long term. England's chances of winning have just dropped considerably, despite Wales' injuries. I'll probably even fall asleep before the end.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Picking up a knock was always a possibility for Joseph IMO and glimpses of SBW at the weekend added to Davies being missing has probably opened it up for Burgess to be considered at 13.
With Jamie Roberts at 12 and the likes of Tipuric or Warburton coming down the 10 channel Farrell was always likely to be considered for this one.
In all that brings extra to the breakdown which it's clear England will need against Wales, so in the end it all adds up.
Only thing I'd add is if England are going that way then it's crying out for Slade at 12.
Personally it's nothing like what my England backs would look like but it is what it is.
Cheery chappy
Duncan B
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Duncan B »

I was unfortunate enough to read this story late last night and I could hardly sleep.

I felt really good about this tournament and couldnt wait for the weekend. Why on earth have they torn up the game plan and decided to just stick our 3 biggest bits of meat in the midfield??

I could understand the selection of Farrell (just about). But to pair him with Burgess AND Baritt. A nightmare. Farrell needs a second distrubtor more than any 10 i've ever seen. If Slade isnt starting at 13 this is gonna be a pretty tough game to watch for England fans. :smt012
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

An odd choice. Ford can be a bit flakey under pressure but he didn't do anything against Fiji to warrant being dropped.

Burgess... I liked him against Fiji. But as an impact player.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Burgess will start at 12 by all accounts..back three won't get any decent ball but Burgess v Roberts will be an epic duel..

Lets hope that Slammin' Sam announces himself to the union world in this game..it will either be a huge success or failure for him I think..

It is going to be the same old England..We dominate upfront and we will be fine..if we struggle or they get parity I will worry..Scott Williams has so much more pace than Barritt & Burgess that is a worry..
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Yes I agree with dropping Ford, he looked very tired when Farrell substituted for him in the Fiji game and this will give him a chance to recoup and rethink his game strategies. I'm surprised that they are saying Burgess for Joseph, I think that the ideal scenario would be to substitute Slade and Burgess as 13 & 12 respectively and give Brad Barrett a rest as well. Then depending on how Brown recovered post Fiji
perhaps Goode in as well. The Team that succeeds in this world cup will be the one that uses it's resources well.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I just lost the will to care about England, which is gutting cos I was really enthusiastic until then. Makes no sense. Why de-bulk and fine-down the pack if you're going to revert to bosh? Why field pacy creative wingers who are never going to see the ball? Etc, etc. And the irony that Faz senior is referred to as 'attack' coach, whilst Faz junior is incapable of running a creative back line move! Words fail me.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Jose wrote:I just lost the will to care about England, which is gutting cos I was really enthusiastic until then. Makes no sense. Why de-bulk and fine-down the pack if you're going to revert to bosh? Why field pacy creative wingers who are never going to see the ball? Etc, etc. And the irony that Faz senior is referred to as 'attack' coach, whilst Faz junior is incapable of running a creative back line move! Words fail me.
I dare say you'll revel in the delight if England win though.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Jose wrote:I just lost the will to care about England, which is gutting cos I was really enthusiastic until then. Makes no sense. Why de-bulk and fine-down the pack if you're going to revert to bosh? Why field pacy creative wingers who are never going to see the ball? Etc, etc. And the irony that Faz senior is referred to as 'attack' coach, whilst Faz junior is incapable of running a creative back line move! Words fail me.
I understand your feeling Jose however I think without Joseph they don't feel capable of playing that game and obviously feel this is more suited to beating Wales..Live or die by the Sword one way or another we will see if it works (I fear our World Cup rests on this decision though) and whether our forwards can best the Wales 8..

Could he have played Slade at 13..Yes..but he obviously feels that isn't the right option and believes Burgess has the ability to burst onto the world scene and he is going to have to if he is to deal with Roberts..thankfully I think he is more than physically capable of doing so..Just whether he gets it spot on mentally and not caught out of position is my worry..right or wrong they are laying their cards on the table and we will see come Sat :smt023
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

i think this makes the bench picks extremely important. They have to be game changers..
cheers
Rich
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Iain wrote:
I dare say you'll revel in the delight if England win though.
Here here !!
God created rugby so footballers have heros too