Neil Back

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ellis9
Super User
Super User

Neil Back

Post by ellis9 »

Can anyone explain this to me? Has something happened between Neil Back and Tigers? He seems to have the occasional dig at the club. He is obviously entitled to his opinion it it seems strange. His latest statement was when someone on Twitter asked him why the Tigers shop was not selling his new book. His reply was "You'll need to ask them, I thought 18 years as player and coach meant something".
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Re: Neil Back

Post by physiodan »

I believe, but am happy to be corrected, that he fell out with the club when he did not get the big job which he thought he deserved. Instead that role went to Heyneke Meyer and then Cockers where it has stayed since.

I believe he left under a cloud and that was that! real shame
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

Are ex-players books routinely stocked in the club shop? Just wondering if this is standard practice or an exception?
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Would have thought any club in any sport would stock its ex-players books if they had remained on good or at least speaking terms.
Physiodan comments lead me to conclude that there must have been a total and irrepairable breakdown between club and ex-player which is sad for a great club and a club great.
Out of interest,did Back think he should have been given the job both when Loffreda took over and then Meyer ?
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

tigercaspian wrote:Would have thought any club in any sport would stock its ex-players books if they had remained on good or at least speaking terms.
Physiodan comments lead me to conclude that there must have been a total and irrepairable breakdown between club and ex-player which is sad for a great club and a club great.
Out of interest,did Back think he should have been given the job both when Loffreda took over and then Meyer ?

I would have thought the other way, in that the club should want to stay impartial and therefore stock no ex player merchandise irrespective.
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

I don't really get Neil Back's motives at the moment.

A prime example is when he was slating Robshaw for not being in his top 5 number 7s. It was so pathetic, he didn't even say who he would pick instead. It was just a rant about all of Robshaw's supposed inadequacies. How is that going to help anyone? If you are going to criticise, offer a solution or an alternative.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

darganj wrote:I don't really get Neil Back's motives at the moment.

A prime example is when he was slating Robshaw for not being in his top 5 number 7s. It was so pathetic, he didn't even say who he would pick instead. It was just a rant about all of Robshaw's supposed inadequacies. How is that going to help anyone? If you are going to criticise, offer a solution or an alternative.
Im afraid that Mr Back is becoming the Geoff Boycott of the rugby world, you know, it was better in my day etc. I too was led to understand that Back was really upset that he was not given the top job on the couple of occasions it became available, really sad, great player a real one off.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

I don't really get Neil Back's motives at the moment.

Motive is probably book sales which is no different to any sporting book IMO.

To be fair Robshaw would not be in my top 100 opensides in world rugby.
What is the point in offering an alternative if they have been cut from the squad already?
The only option would be to talk about Clark and he obviously didn't go there.
As a former openside it's something the media would ask him and he might know about.
Cheery chappy
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

Tiger's shop (contracted out to Kitbag) is currently very tight for space as it is also being used for ticket sales. Kitbag like any retail establishment will allocate space based on expected sales/profits; it is possible that they see more profit per foot from sales of their own purchased products, shirts, jackets etc' than they would by offering Neil's book.
weartheroserugby

Post by weartheroserugby »

I don't personally see why Tigers won't stock the book, it's a shame because it's worth a read and he was at the club for such a long time. I just got my copy from Amazon anyway - price is really competitive on there and there's the Kindle version too :smt023

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Death-Rugby ... 1785310542
johns
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by johns »

The shop is own and run by Kitbag, they decide what they sell
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

weartheroserugby wrote:I don't personally see why Tigers won't stock the book, it's a shame because it's worth a read and he was at the club for such a long time. I just got my copy from Amazon anyway - price is really competitive on there and there's the Kindle version too :smt023

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Death-Rugby ... 1785310542
Are you Neil Back?

As said pretty sure the store is run separately, can't think of another tiger book on sale there (other than matts hampsons book).
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

RagingBull wrote:As said pretty sure the store is run separately, can't think of another tiger book on sale there (other than matts hampsons book).
Leon Lloyd's book is in the online store......think I also saw copies in the actual shop but can't recall for sure

http://store.leicestertigers.com/stores ... ifts/books
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

As a player Neil Back was superb. Brilliant.

I was privaleged to carry his daughter on my shoulders when walking back to the hotel in Sydney in 2003.

As a coach he was less than loyal to his DoR's. So a move to Leeds was engineered. Where he was less than loyal to Andy Keys. And the rest is history.

Sales of his book through the (reduced size run by Kitbag)Tigers shop would be unlikely to be astronomic. Likely cheaper through Amazon anyway.
Still keeping the faith!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

ellis9 wrote:Can anyone explain this to me? Has something happened between Neil Back and Tigers? He seems to have the occasional dig at the club. He is obviously entitled to his opinion it it seems strange. His latest statement was when someone on Twitter asked him why the Tigers shop was not selling his new book. His reply was "You'll need to ask them, I thought 18 years as player and coach meant something".
I don't believe his issue is with the club, more like Cockers
God created rugby so footballers have heros too