Super User
Super User

Re: Predicted England World Cup 31

Post by jgriffin »

Do you get that sinking feeling? :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

The question is what is happening with England's forwards. Are they just tired after a heavy training load, or is it something more fundamental ? All discussion about the backs and style of play is irrelevant if the team cannot compete in the scrum, line out and breakdown.

The front five which was once considered one of the teams major strength, is currently struggling.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Sajerj wrote:The question is what is happening with England's forwards. Are they just tired after a heavy training load, or is it something more fundamental ? All discussion about the backs and style of play is irrelevant if the team cannot compete in the scrum, line out and breakdown.

The front five which was once considered one of the teams major strength, is currently struggling.
Perhaps Marler and Vunipolo are not up to International standard. Perhaps the fact that some of the second row have been out with injuries could have a bearing. Perhaps the fact that our no 7 is not a no 7 and that players like Cole and Youngs are having to do his job at the breakdown is taking its toll. Perhaps its not the coaching but a whole host of other factors, but then again the blame culture is well and truly alive on this forum. Of course the French forwards didnt do anything and its all the forwards coach's fault or failing that lets blame Tom youngs
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I think it is just a simple as the back row being a disaster with no 7, to accommodate Robshaw. The tail wags the dog. The breakdowns are being hit by Cole, Youngs is the tackler and nobody's doing a proper job. [TY should've been dead with the number of tackles and the amount of ground he covered. Then he gets slagged off by the ignoramuses who can't count or understand lineouts].
Lancaster has created a rod for his own back, and will continue to do so no doubt.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

jgriffin wrote:[TY should've been dead with the number of tackles and the amount of ground he covered. Then he gets slagged off by the ignoramuses who can't count or understand lineouts].
+1 I'm staggered at the apparent level of ignorance that the press are peddling to the masses!
Maybe they'd be better doing some journalism and shedding some light on the alleged salary cap breach/es. Or does that sound like hard work? Apologies for straying off topic
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

L Smith wrote:
jgriffin wrote:[TY should've been dead with the number of tackles and the amount of ground he covered. Then he gets slagged off by the ignoramuses who can't count or understand lineouts].
+1 I'm staggered at the apparent level of ignorance that the press are peddling to the masses!
Indeed! Imagine suggesting to the masses that the hooker is such a key component in the lineout that when the lineout goes badly wrong then the hooker should cop some flak.

I mean, this is outrageous! Youngs' consistently poor throwing at international level is absolutely NOTHING to do with the hooker - it's all down to the other players.

EDIT: Mind you, I probably shouldn't be so sarcastic. I've seen one guy on another forum blame the lineout failings on both Youngs and Cole.

As well as claiming that Cole gets an easy ride despite always giving away penalties and going into the side of rucks (sure he does, this isn't just a massive extrapolation from one incident, that was as much a reffing error as anything else) apparently he is also weak in the scrum and should be replaced by Wilson (!) to shore up the that set-piece, AND he's very predicable as a lifter which is why the opposition can read the England lineout so well.

The poster - strangely enough - has a particular dislike of Leicester Tigers. Though I'm sure that personal bias has nothing to do with his very astute analysis...
Last edited by 4071 on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I think from what I've seen so far the 7 who should be left out to reduce the squad to 31 are:Jaimie George, Billy Twelvetrees, George Kruis, Robshaw(Yes I know that probably won't happen),Brad Barritt, Richard Wigglesworth ( or is it Wrigglesworth) and Calum Clark.

This means that both Cypriani and Slade will feature as replacements and
depending what happens next Saturday, may be Burgess and Joseph should form the centre pairing in the opening match against Fiji.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Noddy555 wrote:I think from what I've seen so far the 7 who should be left out to reduce the squad to 31 are:Jaimie George, Billy Twelvetrees, George Kruis, Robshaw(Yes I know that probably won't happen),Brad Barritt, Richard Wigglesworth ( or is it Wrigglesworth) and Calum Clark.

This means that both Cypriani and Slade will feature as replacements and
depending what happens next Saturday, may be Burgess and Joseph should form the centre pairing in the opening match against Fiji.
I'm curious why you would take LCD over George. LCD's throwing is terrifying, and whilst it's currently the done thing to not blame the hooker, if he's consistently struggling regardless of the rest of his lineout unit (club, Saxons, England) then he's a liability. Regardless of his effectiveness as a carrier.

George is considerably more reliable, and - for a fatty - he's got a good engine and puts in a strong shift in the loose. Frankly, he'd have a good chance of breaking into the starting berth over the Cup in a way that Webber or LCD are not likely to.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

The question that needs answering is why is there such a difference between Young's line out record internationally compared to domestically where he seems to be pretty much top of the pile.

In reality the two things that differ is the level of competition at the line out - but not sure that explains enough. He doesn't give the impression of being a bundle of nerves in this or any of the other areas of his game for England or Tigers for that matter.
The second is the quality of the line out he is throwing to. Tigers have a dedicated line out coach in Blaze. Who is England's?
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

when is the 31 announced?
cheers
Rich
Cassandra
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Cassandra »

Rykard wrote:when is the 31 announced?
It's just flashed up on the BBC site the squad will be announced on Thursday at 13.45.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I'd take:

Brown,
Watson, Nowell, May,
Joseph, Barritt, Slade, Burgess (over Burrell, still think Eastmond has been badly treated)
Ford, Farrell, Cipriani (over Goode)
Youngs, Care, Wigglesworth

Marler, Vunipola, Brookes, Cole, Wilson
Youngs, Webber, George,
Lawes, Launchbury, Parling, Kruis (over Attwood, though would still rather have Slater)
Robshaw, Wood, Vunipola, Morgan, Haskell

Whoever we take I'm not convinced how highly I rate our chances, not sure we've developed as much as we should have done by now and too many unknowns. Doesn't really have quite the feel of 2003 when players as good and proven at international level as Healey and Shaw couldn't make the squad.
Joe The Tigers Fan
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Jose I would take the exact same squad as you :smt023

However I think Burrell will go :smt012 Burgess or Slade to miss out
I think Attwood will go over Kruis
I think Goode will go over Cipriani :smt022 but I hope not

The back row looks so lacking compared to all other nations...Only Haskell out of the lot looks match fit and on form..

When you consider how good the Aussie back row and then Kiwi back row were against each other on alternative weekends it is a frightening prospect..
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

This is my guess of Lancasters team:

15) Brown, Goode
14) Watson
13) Joesph, Burrell
12) Barritt, 36
11) Nowell, May
10) Ford, Farrell,
9) Youngs, Care, Wigglesworth
1) Marler, Vunipola
2) Youngs, Webber, George
3) Cole, Wilson, Brookes
4) Launchbury, Attwood
5) Lawes, Parling
6) Wood/Croft, Haskell
7) Robshaw
8) Vunipola, Morgan
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

RagingBull wrote:This is my guess of Lancasters team:

15) Brown, Goode
14) Watson
13) Joesph, Burrell
12) Barritt, 36
11) Nowell, May
10) Ford, Farrell,
9) Youngs, Care, Wigglesworth
1) Marler, Vunipola
2) Youngs, Webber, George
3) Cole, Wilson, Brookes
4) Launchbury, Attwood
5) Lawes, Parling
6) Wood/Croft, Haskell
7) Robshaw
8) Vunipola, Morgan
12T out, Burrell too, Morgan possibly and Easter in. Cipriani out and Kruis. Dull and totally mistaken in the back row.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95