Sam Burgess

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Rizzo, Tigerbeat, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7408
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by jgriffin » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:03 am

A bit condescending, sajerj, n'est ce que pas?
While your argument could hold for Eastmond (which IMO has evidence for and against)then it must apply to Burgess too. Someone who has shown nothing much at centre (little enough for his coach and his club owner to state emphatically he ain't an RU centre)is now transformed under Magic Stu?
:smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

TigerCam
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3690
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by TigerCam » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:39 am

fentiger wrote:
L Smith wrote:
fentiger wrote:.... rumours circulating about Kyle Eastmond moving to Warrington......
Would you have him at Tigers?
Yes :smt023
+1 :smt023
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat

TigerCam
Super User
Super User
Posts: 3690
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2004 5:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by TigerCam » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:09 pm

Sajerj wrote:I think its difficult to know where Burgess is as a 12 , because he clearly was in the very early stages of learning the game when he played there.

You have to believe that he has impressed in training. If he was a mile off the mark, then it is hard to believe the England coaching team would waste valuable playing time on him. I guess we find out next Saturday.

I like Eastmond as a club player, but he has fallen short at the very top level. He had a really good club season, but ultimately was absolutely nowhere against Farrell, Barritt and friends in the final.
Hewitt's comments are silly really. He is confusing Club rugby with International rugby, and they are a world apart.
The whole Bath side (not just Eastmond) were nowhere against sarries because sarries played their usual defensive game with brutal efficiency. I guess it depends on what game plan/style you want to impose? You never get a lot of attack from Barritt at 12 but you get a reliable defence. Questions have been raised at Eastmond's size but for me, given the speed and footballing ability of Ford, Slade and Watson etc I would dump Burgess for Slade and keep Eastmond for continuity of pace and ability to play what is in front of you. I really don't get why Burgess is in the squad when there are others more attuned to Union than him? I do respect Burgess for his RL ability and maybe he will make it as a loose forward? England have been through this scenario before with Farrell Snr ( and jnr for that matter) and found wanting? If this is a 'face-saving' exercise then England management need to front up and sort it now.
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat

Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:23 am

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by Sajerj » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:30 pm

jgriffin wrote:A bit condescending, sajerj, n'est ce que pas?
While your argument could hold for Eastmond (which IMO has evidence for and against)then it must apply to Burgess too. Someone who has shown nothing much at centre (little enough for his coach and his club owner to state emphatically he ain't an RU centre)is now transformed under Magic Stu?
:smt009
It was not meant that way, JGriffin.

Their is plenty of evidence against Kyle Eastmond's selection. When the teams he is in comes under pressure, particular territorially, he is weak. He has no kicking game, No strategic game. He offers no support to the ten. We have seen it at Bath and we have seen it with England. Also his size means he can't carry ball. Lovely runner. Thats it. It doest outweigh his weakness' which have been pretty brutally exposed by top, efficient teams. Namely the ABs and Saracens.

I am opened minded on Burgess. Why the journalist needs to drag him into the the article i don't know.
Why not mention twelvetrees, who had a dreadful season. Or Burrell who has never convinced.
The reason...because you stick Burgess' name in the article it attracts attention.

I am opened minded on Burgess JGriffin. If he bombs out next Saturday, then so be it. Little harm done.

Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member
Posts: 573
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:23 am

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by Sajerj » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:35 pm

TigerCam wrote:
Sajerj wrote:I think its difficult to know where Burgess is as a 12 , because he clearly was in the very early stages of learning the game when he played there.

You have to believe that he has impressed in training. If he was a mile off the mark, then it is hard to believe the England coaching team would waste valuable playing time on him. I guess we find out next Saturday.

I like Eastmond as a club player, but he has fallen short at the very top level. He had a really good club season, but ultimately was absolutely nowhere against Farrell, Barritt and friends in the final.
Hewitt's comments are silly really. He is confusing Club rugby with International rugby, and they are a world apart.
The whole Bath side (not just Eastmond) were nowhere against sarries because sarries played their usual defensive game with brutal efficiency. I guess it depends on what game plan/style you want to impose? You never get a lot of attack from Barritt at 12 but you get a reliable defence. Questions have been raised at Eastmond's size but for me, given the speed and footballing ability of Ford, Slade and Watson etc I would dump Burgess for Slade and keep Eastmond for continuity of pace and ability to play what is in front of you. I really don't get why Burgess is in the squad when there are others more attuned to Union than him? I do respect Burgess for his RL ability and maybe he will make it as a loose forward? England have been through this scenario before with Farrell Snr ( and jnr for that matter) and found wanting? If this is a 'face-saving' exercise then England management need to front up and sort it now.
It baffles me how anybody could watch the Aviva final and call Saracens defensive. Seriously what game are you watching. Bath barely got out of their own side of the pitch in the first half. Saracens scored there tries to non in the first half. It was a superb performance by Saracens, and it was anything but defensive.

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1034
Joined: Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:37 pm
Location: Kenilworth

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by Jeremy Anderson » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:10 pm

Bath were undone in the final because they had not been in one for a while. Most teams have to lose a Prem final before they can win one.
Burgess IMO should not be in the squad as at Union he has not shown himself to be good enough particularly at Centre. As centre he has major weaknesses and no visible strengths. In Union he has not broken through tackles or offload with any great skill. He has even been weak tackling and has no idea of positional play as a Centre. If they play him he could easily cost us an important game.
Having said all that I would be delighted if this superstar player suddenly emerged but there has been no evidence so far- just another RL convert who has not yet made the transition. In 4 years time he could be ready as a back row once he has learnt about lineouts, mauls, rucks, ball retention etc.
Jez

Only Winners Win!

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by Bill W (2) » Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:44 pm

I have a sneaking suspicion that SLancasters (Farrell snr) first choice back line is Care, Farrell, Barritt and Burgess,
Still keeping the faith!

ellis9
Super User
Super User
Posts: 4187
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 6:44 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by ellis9 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:05 pm

Good god! Let's hope not!

fleabane
Super User
Super User
Posts: 5170
Joined: Fri Sep 08, 2006 4:26 pm
Location: Occitanie

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by fleabane » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:04 am

It's experimental Bill, but I suspect you are right! Depending on how you look at it, it either shows SLs continuing indecision about his back line, or that he is willing to try a combination which could be dynamic!
Valhalla I am coming!

Hull Fan
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1509
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:43 am
Location: Hull

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by Hull Fan » Mon Aug 10, 2015 6:26 am

fleabane wrote:Slancaster and Farrell Snr both from RL and work for RFU. RL and RFU love Burgess. Thus Slancaster and Farrell love Burgess. Q.E.D.
Dont think Lancaster has ever had anything to do with RL. Not everyone one up north does.
The East Yorkshire Branch
Coalville RFC - "It's in the blood"

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7408
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by jgriffin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:42 pm

Farrell at 10, Burgess at 12 for France. Interesting.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User
Posts: 14868
Joined: Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:23 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by Bill W (2) » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:57 pm

jgriffin wrote:Farrell at 10, Burgess at 12 for France. Interesting.
I suppose that is one word for it!
Still keeping the faith!

BarmyBamford
Senior Member
Senior Member
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 17, 2006 8:47 pm
Location: Baldock Herts

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by BarmyBamford » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:10 pm

i HAD NO IDEA THAT fERELL AND bURGESS WERE QUALIFIED TO PLAT FOR fRANCE.

OOPS ! Curse of capslock . Sorry.

jgriffin
Super User
Super User
Posts: 7408
Joined: Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:49 pm
Location: On the edge of oblivion

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by jgriffin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:36 pm

BarmyBamford wrote:i HAD NO IDEA THAT fERELL AND bURGESS WERE QUALIFIED TO PLAT FOR fRANCE.

OOPS ! Curse of capslock . Sorry.
BEHAVE!!!
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon May 04, 2009 6:22 pm

Re: Sam Burgess

Post by L Smith » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:44 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33782268
Looks like Lancaster has started to (finally) acknowledge most rugby fans' ennui at the situation
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Dokie, Jimmy Skitz, JP14, OakhamTiger32, Reggie, RunTigerRun and 2 guests