Wynand Olivier

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

smalldell
Gold Member
Gold Member

Wynand Olivier

Post by smalldell »

Playing 12 for Barbars today and in the Rugby Paper says he has joined on a yr long loan

Whats he like?
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Wynand Olivier

Post by Spicer »

Guess we will find out at 3pm today.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

If Allen is fit then Wynand is likely to be cover for him.
fortysix
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by fortysix »

Spectacularly nondescript.

What on earth are we signing this journeyman for ??????
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

fortysix wrote:Spectacularly nondescript.

What on earth are we signing this journeyman for ??????
Who should we sign then? Out of those available of course? Of those that would want to sign for Tigers?

Who says we haven't approached others but they've knocked us back?

I've read elsewhere that it's a year's loan signing to avoid rushing to use the marquee signing money on a second or third tier target, whilst waiting another 12 months for a first choice target to become available. I have no way to give any credence to that rumour or opinion though, but, it does make a lot of sense to me.

Give the guy a chance, he's not even here and it's moan moan moan.......he may, just may, prove to be a good fit - for a year, if he isn't then hey......
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
fortysix wrote:Spectacularly nondescript.

What on earth In G*ds Name are we signing this journeyman for ??????
Who should we sign then? Out of those available of course? Of those that would want to sign for Tigers?

Who says we haven't approached others but they've knocked us back?

I've read elsewhere that it's a year's loan signing to avoid rushing to use the marquee signing money on a second or third tier target, whilst waiting another 12 months for a first choice target to become available. I have no way to give any credence to that rumour or opinion though, but, it does make a bot of sense to me.

Give the guy a chance, he's not even here and it's moan moan moan.......he may, just may, prove to be a good fit - for a year, if he isn't then hey......
He has only signed for a year according to fissler and Cohen was saying we have 2 targets who are out of contract in 12 months so it does fit.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

WhitecapTiger wrote: Give the guy a chance, he's not even here and it's moan moan moan.......he may, just may, prove to be a good fit - for a year, if he isn't then hey......
Absolutely. People bemoan Anthony Allen for being 'unspectacular' but we've missed his organisational skills, his tackling ability, his intelligence (he is quick-witted in both attack and defence) this year. If we can get someone in who can do the same sort of job and stay fit then I'm happy.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

38 cap Springbok signed as squad cover at 12. Given our tendency to lose our centres to injury he could be a good signing in an area where we have lots of young talent who need an experienced head.

If Allen is going to be out of action for any length of time this is a signing we needed. It's a shame we couldn't get a better signing as Olivier is solid at best but he should at least be cheap and hence help us out with the cap.
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Anyone got links
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rugby paper don't do links till a week after.
Coops
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Coops »

Sensible approach by the club, knowing that the ideal targets aren't available and with Allen and Manu on the sidelines.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Does he have form, because in Baas match form he was invisable, Baas only scored 1 try and gave away 11, so can he attack or defend? Seems a very strange signing to me! :smt017
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

LE18 wrote:Does he have form, because in Baas match form he was invisable, Baas only scored 1 try and gave away 11, so can he attack or defend? Seems a very strange signing to me! :smt017
Wouldn't judge a baabaa game as a players form TBH.

He is solid IMO.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

He doesn't seem spectacular but I don't suppose a bad player usually gets 72 caps for the Blue Bulls and 38 for South Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuMlgsi6caQ
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

Jeez, give the guy a chance to pull on a Tigers shirt and show what he can do. Having never seen some of the supporters on here in person I must say judging by their comments I am a little under-whelmed by their level of support! :smt003