Bronze Member

World cup failure in leicester?

Post by vin rouge »

LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: World cup failure in leicester?

Post by LE18 »

Yep, we aint paying that much to go to the Crisp bowl. Did you notice their pitch is still 1 metre short in width, only 67, rule requires 68, so how come? :smt017
Bet they will be policing it like a soccer match, concrete jungle, cannot move around, crowd segregation, probably no beer during games etc etc. :smt009
voice of the crumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by voice of the crumbie »

I, and several people I have spoken to, won't be attending on principle. After Twickenham Welford Rd is the largest purpose built rugby stadium in England and as such ought to be used for the rugby world cup. International matches have been played there previously without detriment. If the organisers catch a cold by not using Welford Rd I won't be losing any sleep.
Tigers for the premiership and European Cup. Get behind the team and make some noise!!
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

According to the RFU, 100,000 extra tickets will go on sale on 29th May. I wonder where they came from? The only venue which has a significant under-sell is King Power stadium with even £15 tickets still available there. Can't see that would have happened if they had picked Welford Road can you? Bet they wished they had done now.
Last edited by AlphaWiseOwl on Fri May 22, 2015 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

Sorry - got the date slightly wrong - May 28th.

See below:

START QUOTE:

An additional 100,000 tickets for Rugby World Cup 2015 will go on general sale at 10:00 BST on Thursday, May 28.

Tickets for 39 matches at all 13 match venues, featuring all 20 teams, will be going on sale.

This includes tickets for England v Uruguay at Manchester City Stadium and both quarter-finals at the Millennium Stadium.

Tickets will be available across all price categories, starting at just £15, with child tickets also available at price categories C and D at selected matches.

England v Uruguay Manchester City Stadium A,B,C,D
France v Ireland Millennium Stadium A,B,C,D
New Zealand v Argentina Wembley Stadium A,B,C
France v Italy Twickenham Stadium A,B
Bronze Final Olympic Stadium A,B,C,D
South Africa v Scotland St. James' Park A,B,C,D

Several of these matches went straight to ballot during last year's general sale END QUOTE
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

The Leicester matches are at inconvenient day/times for games that are not that attractive. The fact that they are at the football stadium rather than Welford Road adds to the difficulty. All told, not a great surprise it's a poor seller. I suspect by the time the tourny comes round they will still be able to sell out mind.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

ourla wrote:I suspect by the time the tourny comes round they will still be able to sell out mind.
Or, I wonder how many local schoolchildren will be there on freebies to fill up the seats? :smt002
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

I would be willing to fork out for a match I wanted to watch, despite not having a pile of cash. Not the matches at the Crisp Bowl (except maybe the Tonga match), but may have been tempted by WR.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

I would have attempted to get tickets to at least one match. If they had been at Welford Road. Teams would have been irrelevant. At the 2012 Olympics we ended going to see canoeing, both sorts. Never really watched either before unless a Brit looked like winning a medal at the Olympics. Enjoyed the atmosphere of the whole thing. Won't be the same at the KP, won't go.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I would certainly pay to see the Argentina matches at WR, but I'm afraid that my previous experience of watching Tigers play at the utterly charmless, characterless and uninspiring footy ground means I will not be going there again.

The organisers, had they been at all in touch with rugby fans, should have known that fans from abroad want to go to the traditional grounds, and their players want to play there. in addition, that local fans would see their decision to ignore WR for the Crisp Bowl would do nothing but antagonise local rugby fans.
Valhalla I am coming!
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

InGuinnessVeritas

ourla wrote:
I suspect by the time the tourny comes round they will still be able to sell out mind.

Or, I wonder how many local schoolchildren will be there on freebies to fill up the seats?
The local grammar school is a part of the tournament as a training base so if the fixtures don't sell out that could well be an option in supporting the matches at the King Power.
Cheery chappy
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

I suppose you could argue it is just a matter of semantics - apparently the two Argentina games for instance have 20% unsold - by my reckoning that means they've sold about (20% of 32,262) 25,500 - 26,000 tickets so the organizers can already say it was worth while as they have sold more than the capacity of WR.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Northenlad

Post by Northenlad »

LE18 wrote:Bet they will be policing it like a soccer match, concrete jungle, cannot move around, crowd segregation, probably no beer during games etc etc. :smt009
You obviously didn't attend the games there a few years ago when we were building our new stand! No segregation, beer allowed in the stands, those of us in the south stand all moved to the north stand for the second half where the Bristol fans were located.

:smt015
If winning isn't everything, why do they bother keeping score?
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Northenlad wrote:
LE18 wrote:Bet they will be policing it like a soccer match, concrete jungle, cannot move around, crowd segregation, probably no beer during games etc etc. :smt009
I recall only recently "No beer at Welford Road on match days" Cannot pour , run out, what colour is Guinness?, no hand pulled!

However we must all blame Rob Andrew for choosing the King Power Stadium - he just does not like Tigers, never has & never will.
The sooner he leaves the RFU the better and support the real Rugby Clubs not the wendyballers.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

The Telegraph article should be a wake up call to the stuffed shirts that run the English game, if you treat a city which has arguably the biggest fan base of any Aviva premiership club shabbily, you cannot be surprised at their fan's reaction. They made 3 basic mistakes:-

1) Holding it at the King Power stadium instead of Welford Road.
2) Adopting a pricing strategy that is out of reach of most working class people.
3) With all due to difference to Argentina, adopting a scheduling programme that excluded Northern Hemisphere teams from competing there.
I made my mind up 18 months ago when this all first came to light that I would not attend unless they swapped the KP for Welford road.