Dawson 'disgusted' by Manu?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Reading Tiger

Re: Dawson 'disgusted' by Manu?

Post by Reading Tiger »

Dawson has written stupid things in the press before. According to page 263 in MJ's autobiography, he was close to being sent home on the Lions tour to Australia in 2001 after an article written by him criticising the way the tour was being managed was published at home. He avoided being sent home but had to sit in front of everyone and apologise. MJ wrote (tongue in cheek)"I felt the punishment was probably a little too lenient: I would have preferred a public thrashing, with his little naked buttocks being whacked through the streets of Brisbane". :smt003 :smt003
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

The bit about tongue in cheek in the same sentence as buttocks does give some cause for concern.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

northerntiger wrote:To quote Dawson
'He deserves everything he gets, he's got a terrible record'

Jumping off a ferry
Wearing the wrong gumshield
Punching Ashton
Making bunny ears behind the PM

Hardly terrible
Agreed. Especially as the only really serious thing - punching Ashton - came after Ashton had kneed him in the back (or something similar), something that was largely ignored at the time. A typical Ashton cheap shot for which he got what he deserved IMHO.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Cagey Tiger wrote:

Jumping off a ferry
Punching Ashton

Hardly terrible
Agreed. Especially as the only really serious thing - punching Ashton - came after Ashton had kneed him in the back (or something similar), something that was largely ignored at the time. A typical Ashton cheap shot for which he got what he deserved IMHO.
Agreed hardly terrible, but stupid and brainless yes!

Dawson has always been a pain, like wise Healey (it's just he was our pain), disgusted is too strong a word, but "very disappointed" would be entirely appropriate,
Soggypitch
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Dawson, SCW, Michael Vaughan, Barnes, Pears Morgan, Jeremy Clarksbore, all seem to think that they have something to say that is interesting whereas they are mostly prats and speak pratspeak, the sort of verbal garbage that in the Navy would have led you to being castaway or keelhauled.
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Dawson, SCW, Michael Vaughan, Barnes, Pears Morgan, Jeremy Clarksbore, all seem to think that they have something to say that is interesting whereas they are mostly prats and speak pratspeak, the sort of verbal garbage that in the Navy would have led you to being castaway or keelhauled.
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

Bill W (2) wrote:
rocktop51 wrote:Have to agree with Dawson. As much as I like Manu as a player he has to grow up and take responsibility for his actions. In the past many on this forum have criticised players from other teams for thuggery so why is it different when it's one of our own?

If the lad needs help then the club should provide it. His behaviour was totally was totally acceptable - I just hope that this is the end of it - we can't afford any more chances .
Can we please get some perspective here:

1. Manu hicked a taxi;
2. Manu pushed a poliewoman in the chest;
3. Manu was fined 1 weeks wages.

No blood was spilt. No bones were broken. The Magistrates deemed a custodial sentence was not appropriate.
So does perspective mean that

1 Kicking a taxi is acceptable ?
2 That its OK to push a policeman in the chest?
3 No blood spilt or bones broken makes it OK as well?

The fact that no custodial sentence was deemed appropriate is irrelevant and no one is calling for that. The point I was making was that if this had 'offence' had been carried out by say someone form Saints or Sarries then a few people on here would be calling for capital punishment! If has behavioural issues then the club needs to help the bloke.

OK - he was fined - correct decision but don't tell me that his behaviour was acceptable
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Post by Bill W (2) »

rocktop51 wrote:OK - he was fined - correct decision but don't tell me that his behaviour was acceptable
I didn't.
Still keeping the faith!
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

rocktop51 wrote:
Bill W (2) wrote:
rocktop51 wrote:Have to agree with Dawson. As much as I like Manu as a player he has to grow up and take responsibility for his actions. In the past many on this forum have criticised players from other teams for thuggery so why is it different when it's one of our own?

If the lad needs help then the club should provide it. His behaviour was totally was totally acceptable - I just hope that this is the end of it - we can't afford any more chances .
Can we please get some perspective here:

1. Manu hicked a taxi;
2. Manu pushed a poliewoman in the chest;
3. Manu was fined 1 weeks wages.

No blood was spilt. No bones were broken. The Magistrates deemed a custodial sentence was not appropriate.
So does perspective mean that

1 Kicking a taxi is acceptable ?
2 That its OK to push a policeman in the chest?
3 No blood spilt or bones broken makes it OK as well?

The fact that no custodial sentence was deemed appropriate is irrelevant and no one is calling for that. The point I was making was that if this had 'offence' had been carried out by say someone form Saints or Sarries then a few people on here would be calling for capital punishment! If has behavioural issues then the club needs to help the bloke.

OK - he was fined - correct decision but don't tell me that his behaviour was acceptable
nobody, NOBODY has said what Manu did was acceptable what we are saying to people such as your good self is stop getting hysterical and untwist you knickers, he's been a prat, deserves to be belted round the face with a giant fish in humiliation but no condemnation and eternal exile as some people are seemingly called for
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Ok, JS, with you on this one.
On a scale of 1 - 10 Manu gets a 5 or 6 for daftness but "rugby player in having too much too drink shock horror story" says it all as other posters have highlighted.
I don't quite understand why we need to listen to or quote anything that Piers Morgan says though ?? This is a man who thinks that scoring a few runs against the weakest of all the counties (sorry, us....) whilst being dropped 5 times is reason to be picked by England. Piers Morgan wouldn't recognise a cricket bat if someone clubbed him round the face with one..........(Editor's note : Self evident?)
rocktop51
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by rocktop51 »

JS

I have to say that I find your tone somewhat rude and capitalisation of letters is unnecessary. I am not hysterical nor have I got my knickers in a twist. Neither do I want do I want to see him condemned or sent in to exile. My view was that perhaps some posters on here gave an impression that it was no big deal but that may be down as to how they compose sentences I guess. My original comment was that had this been a player from another club then many on here may well have taken a different view.
Hambo :- He was with England when he was injured, but he was a Tigers player, our player. He is still our player.”
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

rocktop51 wrote:JS

I have to say that I find your tone somewhat rude and capitalisation of letters is unnecessary. I am not hysterical nor have I got my knickers in a twist. Neither do I want do I want to see him condemned or sent in to exile. My view was that perhaps some posters on here gave an impression that it was no big deal but that may be down as to how they compose sentences I guess. My original comment was that had this been a player from another club then many on here may well have taken a different view.
If it had been a player from another club then quite possibly yes. As there are some on here wanting Manu to be hung, drawn and quartered, God knows how they would react if it had been someone with a record like Hartley or Care. But for most other players I don't think the reaction would be that much different.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Dawson himself did some infantile things when he was playing for Saints, and had the gall to suggest that the saints player who broke the Tigers hookers elbow did it unintentionally. He bl\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\88dy did \daws. You weren't even at that match. I was and saw the incident in full. So do us a favour Dawson keep your trap shut.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Jumping off a ferry
Punching Ashton

Hardly terrible
For two of those I might be tempted to give him brownie points :smt003
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Having sat and listened to scores of cases such as this I can tell you that if it
was remotely as bad as some are saying, he would now be behind bars.
Like most on here, I haven't heard the evidence. The reports from lower courts
tend to be sensationalised, especially when the accused is well known.
Assault is very difficult to interpret and can range from a full punch to a tap on the
shoulder with a finger. In theory, placing your hand on anyone, no matter how gently,
without their permission can be called assault. The higher end can then be judged as ABH of even GBH.
I suspect that his push on the officers concerned was fairly mild and in many cases would have been discounted.
Of course, being intoxicated is no excuse before the law but he was a young chap out on the town
and JPs are all human and in most cases, been there and have the T shirt.
So he was fined, reprimanded and exposed to ridicule in the national press.
From what I can tell, he is certainly not a delinquent so it should be left at that.
But I reiterate again, I did not hear any of the evidence, for or against.
A life long Tiger