Tigers v Saints

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Tigers v Saints

Post by G.K »

OK now we're getting over the shock of the real Tigers turning up last weekend we have to start thinking about our nearest and dearest down the road.

So will Saints rest a few with the semis in mind or will they want to go all out and try and put us out of the running?

As for Tigers - will they be able to turn up 2 weeks running or will they still be in a state of shock at scoring 3 tries away from home?
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
GB72
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers v Saints

Post by GB72 »

Cannot see them fielding a weakened side, though I live in hope. A defeat next week would not only be a loss of momentum but also a psychological blow if they have to face us in the playoff the following week. Not sure if either team has done so in the past but I also cannot imagine either side fielding a significantly weakened team in such a grudge match.

I say bring on the full team and with a performance like we gave against Wasps, we can still beat them

GB72
Ex Doom Monger
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

If I was Saints I would rest Myler but that's about it, as far as Tigers are concerned I would hope to see something like this assuming Parling is out and Bai is banned

1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Thorn
5. Kitchener
6. Gibson/Slater??
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Burns
11. Goneva
12. Tait
13. Loamanu
14. Thompstone
15. Morris

16. Mulipola
17. Ghiraldini
18. Rizzo/Balmain
19. Slater/Dechaves
20. Gibson/Pearce
21. Harrison
22. Bell
23. Scully/Smith

Tait and Loamanu in the centers should give a good balance of pace and power with them both interchanging in the 12-13 channels
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

Realistically I don't think we'll play them in the play-offs now anyway as it looks like we'll either finish third or fifth. Not sure if that will change their game plan or side to face us.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

So will Saints rest a few with the semis in mind or will they want to go all out and try and put us out of the running?
I think this is an intriguing proposition.

Let's start with what we know: Saints are guaranteed top spot and a home semi. Tigers need to win to finish 3rd, anything else and we will certainly be overtaken by Saracens and we could drop to 5th if Exeter beat Sale (who themselves have a chance of now finishing 6th and sneaking into Europe). Saints had 'easy' weekend against Welsh and Tigers will be knackered after edging Wasps with 14.

Saints must be thinking (a) put up a strong side and come away from WR next weekend without defeat and to maintain their recent mini-good run against us, keep their current momentum and probably put us out. But also (b) anyone with an injury niggle/worry can be rested ahead of a home semi almost certainly not against Tigers. Why risk key players knowing you'll need fresh legs for a home semi possibly against Saracens who get their 'free' weekend against Welsh…

What I'd do: honestly if I was Saints I'd send a weakened team. Next weekend is about pride and local bragging rights, not silverware.

What I expect: Saints won't put out the B team for a local derby. But I don't expect it to be their strongest team either. I fancy 2-3 green and yellows will sit it out…

Either way… going to be a tasty one and surely our crowd will turn up… My key thought at this stage, when does the ref get named?
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

It depends on who Saints want to play. If we win we play Bath and if Saints play Sarries.

If we lose, and Exeter win then they play the chiefs and they are a team who have done the Double on Saints this season.

Hmmm

they will play their strongest 15 in the aim of knocking us out of the competition. Roll on next week!
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

kpj tiger wrote:If I was Saints I would rest Myler but that's about it, as far as Tigers are concerned I would hope to see something like this assuming Parling is out and Bai is banned

1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Thorn
5. Kitchener
6. Gibson/Slater??
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Burns
11. Goneva
12. Tait
13. Loamanu
14. Thompstone
15. Morris

16. Mulipola
17. Ghiraldini
18. Rizzo/Balmain
19. Slater/Dechaves
20. Gibson/Pearce
21. Harrison
22. Bell
23. Scully/Smith
Just about agree with this.
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Thorn
5. Slater
6. Gibson
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Burns
11. Goneva
12. Tait (in attack)
13. Loamanu (Inside in defence)
14. Thompson
15. Morris

16. Ghiraldini
17. Mulipola
18. Balmain
19. Kitchener
20. Gibson
21. Harrison
22. Bell
23. Allen/Smith/Bai/Roberts

Tait and Loamanu to interchange on the play in defence and Attack
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

physiodan wrote:It depends on who Saints want to play. If we win we play Bath and if Saints play Sarries.

If we lose, and Exeter win then they play the chiefs and they are a team who have done the Double on Saints this season.

Hmmm

they will play their strongest 15 in the aim of knocking us out of the competition. Roll on next week!
I would be amazed if Saints field a 1st XV. It will be a mix and match side and their key players will be rested IMO.

We will win either way, but it will be a big psychological advantage if we beat their 1st team, when we meet them at Twickers....or am I getting slightly ahead of myself after one decent performance!!!
Soggypitch
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

physiodan wrote: Just about agree with this.
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Thorn
5. Slater
6. Gibson
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Burns
11. Goneva
12. Tait (in attack)
13. Loamanu (Inside in defence)
14. Thompson
15. Morris

16. Ghiraldini
17. Mulipola
18. Balmain
19. Kitchener
20. Gibson
21. Harrison
22. Bell
23. Allen/Smith/Bai/Roberts

Tait and Loamanu to interchange on the play in defence and Attack
You have Gibson at 6 and 20, is Pearce fit? I'd start with Kitchener.
Bai will surely be unavailable.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

MrPartridge wrote:
I think this is an intriguing proposition.

Let's start with what we know: Saints are guaranteed top spot and a home semi. Tigers need to win to finish 3rd, anything else and we will certainly be overtaken by Saracens and we could drop to 5th if Exeter beat Sale (who themselves have a chance of now finishing 6th and sneaking into Europe). Saints had 'easy' weekend against Welsh and Tigers will be knackered after edging Wasps with 14.

Saints must be thinking (a) put up a strong side and come away from WR next weekend without defeat and to maintain their recent mini-good run against us, keep their current momentum and probably put us out. But also (b) anyone with an injury niggle/worry can be rested ahead of a home semi almost certainly not against Tigers. Why risk key players knowing you'll need fresh legs for a home semi possibly against Saracens who get their 'free' weekend against Welsh…

What I'd do: honestly if I was Saints I'd send a weakened team. Next weekend is about pride and local bragging rights, not silverware.

What I expect: Saints won't put out the B team for a local derby. But I don't expect it to be their strongest team either. I fancy 2-3 green and yellows will sit it out…

Either way… going to be a tasty one and surely our crowd will turn up… My key thought at this stage, when does the ref get named?
We're probably due Garner or Small, having had Barnsey and Wigglesworth.
Or Maybe the RFU will provide us with the young fella who refereed saints v Wasps earlier in the year..... :smt010
So, who would we actually like?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

Perhaps a French ref?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

I would be happy with JP Doyle...Good ref if you ask me and good bloke too met him in Edinburgh on a night out with some Munster friends...

I personally can't stand Garner or Wigglesworth both poor if you ask me..
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

I'd be happy with Barnes- Saints dislike him even more than we do!!
Soggypitch
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

JP or Barnes please. Latter unlikely I suspect, and JP did the FG match.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

The Saints will field a lesser side in name only. Their ability to bring academy players through to the 1st XV is testimony to their 'Saints Way' of doing things and as such must not be taken lightly. There will be a bench made up of their 1st XV regulars to come on as and when needed to stretch their legs, tighten things up, send a message and endeavour to grind out a win. The Tiger must do what they did at the Ricoh; first 20 - intense pressure - no penalties in their own half; beat them at the breakdown, slow down the Saints off-load, stop Manoa (he won't be running around like a headless chicken as did Hughes) from opening space for the Pisi boys to come through. I am sure Blake and co will sort that out and Tigers just need to maintain total pressure for 80 mins.

I am just wondering how big my hangover is going to be on Sunday morning after the Tigers secure their trip to FG :smt030 :smt030 :smt030
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat