Tears from Cockerill

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Iain
Super User
Super User

Tears from Cockerill

Post by Iain »

Should highlight to everyone how lucky we are to have a director of rugby who loves the club as much as we do. He's received a lot of criticism this season and not looked to deflect any of it, even though he legitimately could have done. After a difficult start to the season where we had the worst injury crisis I have ever known and morale was at a low, Cockerill has now most probably got us into a semi final that everyone told us was impossible.

If there are people who still want him out then I'm not sure what I can say.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: Tears from Cockerill

Post by ellis9 »

100% agree with this. Even if we were to finish 5th my opinion will not change. This has probably been the hardest season to be a DOR or coach at Tigers with what has happened. If we get a top 4 finish then that is an achievement in itself.

I notice there has not been many Cockers out or negative posts recently. Those people seem to be extremely quiet.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Well said. Perhaps some of the worst offenders will now politely demur; however did notice that one of them made mildly critical posts regardless.
Well impressed with response from other fans on other boards, a lot of praise for Cockers, lot of respect for him even from Saints fans.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

ellis9 wrote:I notice there has not been many Cockers out or negative posts recently. Those people seem to be extremely quiet.
I don't mind those posts or posters so much as long as said posters also post constructively or positively when the team plays well or pulls out a magnificent performance like yesterday........oh wait

As for Cockers, got his faults yes, but he knows them, he's admitted them and I wouldn't want anyone else in his post. Would rather have someone who reacts to criticism they way he does because it's hurting the club and the players....rather than an automaton whose comments are due to their job being at risk.....Cockers knows his head is on the Tigers block everyday due to expectations....and thrives on it.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

Would hate to see Cockers end up leaving the club in the manner that Dean did. What he needs - and I hope is getting - is a coaching/recruiting staff with a slightly different set of skills and even mindset. His passion and skills in the forwards department is unquestionable - the pack just ripped it up yesterday, especially at the breakdown.

I hope the club never gets involved in trying to buy success (whatever the consequences) and that we put faith in a blend of home grown talent and the odd imported star. Cockers is old school Leicester, and he represents all of the values that most of us who waste our time on here share. Let's just see the balance shift back to bringing through a few more of our own players (whether academy or recruited in the 18-20 ish range) and I'll be a happy boy, so long as the team tries as hard as it did yesterday. I honestly don't care about results, if we always play like that.

No wonder the bloke was blubbing: our turnover of players has been too high, especially this year, but they all played for the gaffer yesterday.
amazing tiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by amazing tiger »

Would love to see him stay for a lot longer. He hasn't done a bad job if you put it into context with all the injuries. Great to see all the emotion
brooksey845

Post by brooksey845 »

Richard Cockerill has his limitations as a man but by good I am 100% sure we would look back with a new DOR and think the grass is potentially always greener. I admittedly questioned his ability during numerous parts of the early season but i fall on my sword. I hope Mauger/ Hansen will come in and provide him even more support.
RugbyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RugbyTiger »

So many people have run him down and it was totally wrong. He loves the club - it was so obvious yesterday !! Tigers would be lost without him so those who rubbish him as the boss have not seen the emotional side of him as we all saw yesterday !!!
Carole

A REAL RUGBY TIGER IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE !!

ALSO KNOWN AS DORCAS - PART OF THE MOTHERS GANG SO WATCH OUT LADS !!
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

Have to say I've always been a 'happy clappy' with respect to Cockers. Just love the man, warts and all.

We've always been aware of his passion for the club and it was interesting to see him struggling to hold his feeling back in this way.

All bodes well for the future :smt023
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
jonlin
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by jonlin »

amazing tiger wrote:Would love to see him stay for a lot longer. He hasn't done a bad job if you put it into context with all the injuries. Great to see all the emotion
So would the board, that is why they gave him a new 5 year contract.
Top man is Mr Cockerill
Knightonian

Post by Knightonian »

Seeing such passion in Cockerill was awe inspiring.

As a player, coach and manager he gives it all.

And as a player who wouldn't want to replicate that commitment and passion if you can't get motivated by that you never will

Richard is red, white and green in good and bad - always 100%, always his best.

It makes me proud to be a tiger and from Leicester
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

They'd be no need for tears if he'd sorted the team out earlier in the season!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Grinsteadtiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by Grinsteadtiger »

Just like to apologise to anyone who did not understand my earlier post on another thread I was being sarcastic. Oh well failed again. To put things right I have NEVER believed Tigers would not make the playoffs and although it will be tight still think we will be there.Cockers is a man who has been a pillar of Tigers, ok sometimes he gets it wrong but look at the end results. Yesterday we not only saw what the club means to the players but what it means to him. Although I can't be at Welford Road on Saturday be assured I will be watching on BT at least I can switch to record if the pressure gets to much. For those of you going please please give the lads a cheer for me and raise the roof with your support
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Big Dai wrote:They'd be no need for tears if he'd sorted the team out earlier in the season!
I seriously hope you're being sarcastic!
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Big Dai wrote:They'd be no need for tears if he'd sorted the team out earlier in the season!
No doubt you'll be on your way to Oval park this week to share your vast knowledge, experience and gameplans.......and to lecture the players and coaches......

Thought not....
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.