Movers and shakers dilemnas

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Movers and shakers dilemnas

Post by ourla »

So next week is movers and shakers week and I am pondering a move. I am currently in the Met-RX aka CAT aka main stand in block FU. So towards the Welford Road side of the ground. As FU would indicate I am in the upper section. However, I am quite near the front corner, so in terms of that block almost as good as it gets in terms of nearest to the middle/front of the pitch/action. Also, I am 3 seats away from the entrance/exit stairs. Which is blinking handy when arriving close to kick off, heading out on the final whistle or nipping for a pee/food/drink. So why would you want to move I hear you cry. Ah well, a few things - all relatively small. First of all, the lower block FL is the same price. Even if I moved to the upper rows the view I would be a fair bit closer to the action because in front of me is the disabled viewing area, which takes up a fair bit of space. Secondly, the guy in front of me is an @rse. He's told me off twice for clapping too loudly. And he often chats to his mate or texts during games. On the flip side, the people to the sides and behind whilst fairly quiet are all fine enough. And of course if I move there is a chance I end up next to the same sort of @rse... are there many :-) Finally, and I know I might be getting picky here but on the upper concourse you can't get hand pulled Tiger. I believe, please correct me if I am wrong, that from the lower block you get access to the backside of the Final Whistle and with it, hand pulled beer. Is that correct?

My ideal scenario would be to replicate the easy access situation, get a bit closer to the pitch and perhaps be seating next to people who like to cheer a bit. The first would I think mean being around rows P to T, numbers as close to 158 as possible. Anyone sit in FL that can verify? Also what's the atmosphere like? I guess the other occupants in the vicinity I can't do much about.

All of this course might be pointless speculation as clearly there may be no suitable vacancies! But there will always be some non-renewals I would have thought.

Anybody else planning a move?
LE18
Super User
Super User

Re: Movers and shakers dilemnas

Post by LE18 »

Come and stand on the Crumbie, you can move away from anyone who you dont like, you could even sort out those boo boys, or preferably join in the chanting, Tigers Tigers! :smt035
Tyzot
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Tyzot »

Don't move for the beer - every time I go the Final whistle straight after the game they have run out of the real stuff!

I stand on the terrace - get there really early and love it. But be warned there is an A that stands behind us. Sadly they are allowed in.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

ahh - our beloved Mr Quiet and all his family.....at my last estimation there are about sixteen and a half thousand of them in Welford Road - IF you do decide to stay put then suggest to the gentleman he is attending the wrong event and at the wrong venue and point the way to the nearest chapel of rest. Tell him that if he wishes peace and quiet to chat to his friend maybe he could have saved themselves some money and stayed in his own front room - it's closer to the kettle!

BUT I agree with my colleagues - come and join us on the terrace - no clapping there either unless accompanied by lots of raucous yelling cheering and jibing of the referee and opposition - singing, laughing and hooting are all tolerated as long as it is done with good humor. By all means chat with your mates all around you, before and after the game or even at half time BUT if you wish to communicate with them during the game ... the yell it down his lug .. do not ask everyone else to keep quiet or else you will find the good humor could rapidly turn hostile!!
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

I heartily agree with the Crumbie dwellers. We used to stand, but infirmity means we now sit, but in the Crumbie stand. A lot of fans who understand the game, who applaud applause, will welcome you! And there is no better bar for chat and atmosphere, than the ABC, but get there early!
Valhalla I am coming!
Dr H Flashman MBE
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Dr H Flashman MBE »

crumbie..Standing..ABC bar..No contest...also you can admire the Cat stand in all it's Glory!!
There is never any points for 2nd place...
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

I've never stood in the Crumbie but my first season ticket was on one of the planks. Obscured view, someone's knees in my back, sore rump and painful queues in the ABC.
I've been in the Cat/GNC/Metrx since it opened, with occasional treats in the 1880. I don't want to offend the purists but I'd rather watch the game in comfort, with an excellent view. Having said that, I'm really grateful for the Crumbie faithful for maintaining the atmosphere. Cheers :smt030 :smt038
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

We sit in block FL row AA. Not a bad view at all and a reasonable group of people around us. There are one or two spare seats that seem to be corporate so you some times get the chatters and phones but normally it's OK. The pain is getting out God help us there was ever a real need to get out in a hurry. We've been there for about 4 seasons and some other friends are now sitting around us. The atmosphere is OK but as ex terrace men it's a little restrained still I can now see all four corners of the ground!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

Thanks for your thoughts. I should have perhaps said up front that I have no intention of moving to another part of the ground. Most of the time I have my 10yo son with me. Neither of us would tolerate getting there early to get a decent spot on the terrace. And being tall sitting in the Crumbie won't work. And I'm not sure I want to be behind the posts on a regular basis.

barnythebear, why is it such a pain to get out of FL?

Tyzot, it's more a half time beer I'm interested in.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Talking about moving and shaking are tigers running an appeal to contribute money to the relief effort in Nepal if not we should be.
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

Getting out at the end of the game is a joke unless you're very very quick or like some of the crowd go home about 10 minutes from the end no matter what the state of the game. The aisles going down get blocked very quickly mainly by people coming from the lower section of the stand to go back into the toilet etc rather than using the open front gates onto the pitch surround. You can often stand there for 5 - 10 minutes waiting for the queue to clear.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Talking about moving and shaking are tigers running an appeal to contribute money to the relief effort in Nepal if not we should be.
I don't want to open a can of worms here but why SHOULD Tigers be running an appeal for Nepal?
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

[quote="barnythebear"] The aisles going down get blocked very quickly mainly by people coming from the lower section of the stand to go back into the toilet etc rather than using the open front gates onto the pitch surround.
I realise that the present toilet facilities at the ground are very poor but even I did not realise that " the open front gates on to the pitch surround" could be used for this too !! :smt042
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

Ah the doctrinaire don't you just love them.
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

I screwed up. It's this week.

Seems there is some availability in FL but in the middle rather than at the edge. So I am thinking it would be an improved viewing position (a lot nearer the pitch but slightly towards the tryline) but without such easy access in and out. Basically I'd have to shuffle past 7 or 8 people rather than 2 or 3. Not sure that is such a big deal. The critical thing is the view of the match I am thinking. Pondering over me coffee before making a final decision.