Austen Healey speaks sense about over-coaching

Post by fleabane »

Valhalla I am coming!
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Austen Healey speaks sense about over-coaching

Post by fentiger »

Read the article, have to agree with him on this occasion. Having re-watched the 2001 final again only yesterday there is no way we would have won that with our current hamstrung squad.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

You can see it with most squads, how limited the game plans are and how shackled the players are.
I remember vividly Floody literally altering the way Tigers were playing by force of will, telling everyone what was needed to change the game - I remarked to that effect watching what he was trying to do - can't remember the game exactly, but up to that point we had been as effective as normal (i.e. poor back play etc) and we scored 3 tries in about 20 mins, and threatened more.
My comment was that he'd not be thanked by MOC and Cockers. I had the greatest respect for Flood, and I think many grossly underestimated him.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by kpj tiger »

jgriffin wrote:You can see it with most squads, how limited the game plans are and how shackled the players are.
I remember vividly Floody literally altering the way Tigers were playing by force of will, telling everyone what was needed to change the game - I remarked to that effect watching what he was trying to do - can't remember the game exactly, but up to that point we had been as effective as normal (i.e. poor back play etc) and we scored 3 tries in about 20 mins, and threatened more.
My comment was that he'd not be thanked by MOC and Cockers. I had the greatest respect for Flood, and I think many grossly underestimated him.
I agree that you can see that we miss Flood massively this season, he was simply the best Fly Half in the prem on his day and complimented the players around him greatly
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

You can thank rugby league for a lot of the woes, rush defences and all that rubbish...............
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

That's true but it's mighty effective as we found out against the Insects in that play-off we lost to them. Sadly we have never been able to counter it.

Tactics are the result of experience, experiment and thought.
This is why you can't really go anywhere if your coaches can't think "outside the box".

A flexible rugby brain is the pre-requisite for a successful DOR.
A life long Tiger
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

fentiger wrote:Read the article, have to agree with him on this occasion. Having re-watched the 2001 final again only yesterday there is no way we would have won that with our current hamstrung squad.
Where did you watch it I would love to have both these I have never found them anywhere bar youtube?
darganj
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by darganj »

And who does Austin Healey mention in his autobiography about it being unbelievable that he has made it as professional coach...... Richard Cockerill.

The man who used to punch people in the face at training because they were from Northern clubs and were "leeches on to Leicester".

I mean is Richard Cockerill really a DOR at the biggest club in England, it beggars belief.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

JackFlashJonny wrote:
fentiger wrote:Read the article, have to agree with him on this occasion. Having re-watched the 2001 final again only yesterday there is no way we would have won that with our current hamstrung squad.
Where did you watch it I would love to have both these I have never found them anywhere bar youtube?
It was, indeed, on YouTube!
WirralExile
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by WirralExile »

Darganj - clearly Aus was speaking in his autobiography as a team mate of Mr Cockerill and not as someone coached by him. The same era probably as when Deano punched Dayglo in a match, "getting his retaliation in first".

Northern players at Leicester at the time could have been Aus, Will Greenwood, Ben Kay, etc. Decide amongst yourselves which player could have been getting under others skin with mis-understood banter (I know from personal experience that northern humour is sometimes taken as a personal attack in the midlands/Leicester; asking a girl with a big appetite returning from a wedding reception buffet with a large plate stacked with food, whether she was eating for two, didn't go down well). Aus wasn't called the Leicester Lip for sitting in the corner doing embroidery.

I don't think our DoR goes round punching non Leicester born and bred players now.
Wirral Exile
Same birthplace as Oz, but not quite as lippy!
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

darganj wrote:And who does Austin Healey mention in his autobiography about it being unbelievable that he has made it as professional coach...... Richard Cockerill.

The man who used to punch people in the face at training because they were from Northern clubs and were "leeches on to Leicester".

I mean is Richard Cockerill really a DOR at the biggest club in England, it beggars belief.
If I've learned anything from being a Leicester supporter over the last 20 or so years, it's that you shouldn't pay too much attention to what Austin Healey says.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

fentiger wrote:
JackFlashJonny wrote:
It was, indeed, on YouTube!
I uploaded it to Youtube having copied an old VHS I borrowed a while ago. Just felt it should be on there!

There is plenty of software out there that you could use to download it from Youtube if you were so inclined.
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

That is another thing Iain relating to the marketing and club..How on earth have the club not produced a DVD with these matches on?

Would give anything for a HD quality of our best matches..

I understand they won't have the rights but surely they wouldn't be that much of a premium over 14 years later... :smt017
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

JackFlashJonny wrote:That is another thing Iain relating to the marketing and club..How on earth have the club not produced a DVD with these matches on?

Would give anything for a HD quality of our best matches..

I understand they won't have the rights but surely they wouldn't be that much of a premium over 14 years later... :smt017
Well the VHS that I copied was originally club merchandise that was sold in the club shop, so you'd assume that somewhere along the lines, the club had got some level of copyright ownership?

You're right though, DVDs of classic games, tries, players etc would be great. There's absolutely nothing out there for the 2002 Final in Cardiff save for a clip of Peter Stringer bottling it at the final scrum sand mis-feeding.
jonnyatom5

Post by jonnyatom5 »

I'm sure it's all a question of who owns copyright, the lack of match DVD's. Who films these things? Not Tigers, or rather they didn't used to. It would be the production companies that make the TV programs, so BSKYB probably for the older stuff.

And by the way Iain, you're on a sticky wicket copying a VHS to YouTube. Just saying (though not caring)