Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Roly
Super User
Super User

Re: Booing at HT on Saturday

Post by Roly »

MrPartridge wrote:
I suggest that those people who wish to continue this should decamp to the Kingpower stadium when Leicester city are playing.
Now there's a good point…. go and watch a winning team playing some good stuff….

As for booing - if the team aren't on it, why shouldn't hear it from the crowd who have paid their hard earned cash to attend? I repeat, losing 7-10 at HT to the whipping boys at home… what did the players expert as they came off… polite applause and a few shouts of 'well done lads'…?
Apparently, any complaints should be withheld until after the match, when a polite letter to the coaching staff and team, voicing concern - and perhaps offering mild rebuke, should be dispatched by rosy cheeked child to the dressing room...

Utter rubbish! Tigers deserved any barracking they may have had, it was another woeful performance, from a team far less than the sum of their parts. I could understand people may have a point if booing an isolated poor performance, but its been handed out time and time again this season and its not just the fair weather fans getting in on the act of showing frustration either.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

Luckily I could not make it on Saturday, but it sounded bad especially the first half. The whole season has been really poor in terms of quality of performance and entertainment (hence 2nd lowest try scorers in the league)in fact it's a tribute to Tigers cussedness that we are still in with a fighting chance of making the play offs.

As for booing, generally I don't like it, but sometimes it is a spontaneous reaction to what one has just witnessed, it's not planned or following the crowd, but a genuine outpouring of almost disbelief, that in this instance a team like LT could play so poorly against by far the worst club in the division.

Definitely forgiven and understandable in the circs and I'm sure the team would say the same, not that we want regular booing at W Rd, it would be nice to "bring the house down" in the final game v Saints.....I just hope we are actually playing for a play off spot!!
Soggypitch
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I certainly shouted some kind of comment along the lines of "unacceptable, sort it out!" but didn't partake in the booing since it usually says something about you if you do.

But that said, I didn't particularly blame anyone who did. It was a particularly abysmal half. Cockerill certainly didn't seem to blame anyone when asked after the game either.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

fleabane wrote:I think you underestimate the immediacy of the reaction and its effect on the players referee and coaches. I do not understand what is wrong with letting them know that regardless of what they may think, that the paying crowd think that the skills and commitment on display are unacceptable.

Why wait until the end of the match to say something?

Supporting a team does not mean that you have no right to criticise. Failing to do so is to accept the indifferent. As a team we are declining in that the gap between Tigers and the rest, once so clear, is now non existent. It does not mean I will stop supporting Tigers, and continue to pay for a season ticket.
I don't think the gap is non existent, Stains and SArries are far better than us. :smt002
Surreytiger

Post by Surreytiger »

I have to admit i took part in the booing. I am a season ticket holder who drives 2 1/2 hours to get to home games, so i wasn't best pleased to watch that woeful performance. As a very loyal fan i am worried at the performances this season. We are miles behind other clubs in terms of performances and i think its a bit naive to believe Aaron Mauger is going to turn us back into the most dominant side in England.
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I think it's important to distinguish between a genuine, spontaneous, reasonable and restrained expression of dissatisfaction and disappointment (which is what there was at half time on Saturday, directed at both Tigers and the ref), and the sort of angry, personalised, pre-meditated booing you get on occasion at football grounds. I also think the difference is crystal clear to all involved. I wouldn't ever want to see or hear any of the latter, but on occasion (and the first half on Saturday was one of them - I can't think of a worse 40 minutes at WR from a Tigers team of that ability and experience in the last 5 years) the former doesn't seem at all unreasonable.
Joe The Tigers Fan
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Surreytiger wrote:I have to admit i took part in the booing. I am a season ticket holder who drives 2 1/2 hours to get to home games, so i wasn't best pleased to watch that woeful performance. As a very loyal fan i am worried at the performances this season. We are miles behind other clubs in terms of performances and i think its a bit naive to believe Aaron Mauger is going to turn us back into the most dominant side in England.
But... but..... Tuilagi will be back too. All the problems will be solved then. :smt046
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Roly wrote:
Surreytiger wrote:I have to admit i took part in the booing. I am a season ticket holder who drives 2 1/2 hours to get to home games, so i wasn't best pleased to watch that woeful performance. As a very loyal fan i am worried at the performances this season. We are miles behind other clubs in terms of performances and i think its a bit naive to believe Aaron Mauger is going to turn us back into the most dominant side in England.
But... but..... Tuilagi will be back too. All the problems will be solved then. :smt046
Come on then, Roly: what's your suggestion? Hold it up to the sunlight so we can all analyse your solution and see if it's better than Cockers and the board are currently doing. Here's your chance to silence some of the people who think you just come on here to spew out bile.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

I don't have a panacea, I am however, taking the mickey out of those that seem to think the arrival of Aaron Mauger and the return to fitness of Tuilagi will see us alright. Its a widely held belief amongst the CA.
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Roly wrote:I don't have a panacea, I am however, taking the mickey out of those that seem to think the arrival of Aaron Mauger and the return to fitness of Tuilagi will see us alright. Its a widely held belief amongst the CA.
"CA"? that's a new one on me.

While I don't think that "the arrival of Aaron Mauger and the return to fitness of Tuilagi will see us alright", I do have some optimism that they will improve things.

If, despite a generally poor season, with some woeful performances IMHO, we have qualified for the Champions Cup and still have a chance, however unlikely, of getting in the playoffs, how might we fare if we do improve?
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Cagey Tiger wrote:
Roly wrote:I don't have a panacea, I am however, taking the mickey out of those that seem to think the arrival of Aaron Mauger and the return to fitness of Tuilagi will see us alright. Its a widely held belief amongst the CA.
"CA"? that's a new one on me.

While I don't think that "the arrival of Aaron Mauger and the return to fitness of Tuilagi will see us alright", I do have some optimism that they will improve things.

If, despite a generally poor season, with some woeful performances IMHO, we have qualified for the Champions Cup and still have a chance, however unlikely, of getting in the playoffs, how might we fare if we do improve?
CA.... 'Crumbie Automatons'.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Apparently, any complaints should be withheld until after the match, when a polite letter to the coaching staff and team, voicing concern - and perhaps offering mild rebuke, should be dispatched by rosy cheeked child to the dressing room...

Utter rubbish! Tigers deserved any barracking they may have had, it was another woeful performance, from a team far less than the sum of their parts. I could understand people may have a point if booing an isolated poor performance, but its been handed out time and time again this season and its not just the fair weather fans getting in on the act of showing frustration either.
That is a 70's roundball mentality!
A ticket a sports event is not like buying a wooly jumper and a bottle of spirits, there is no guarantee it will make you feel warm inside and you can't get your money back if it's not of the expected standard.
I could not go on Saturday and it sounds like a very poor 1st half, having played rugby myself I understand that sometimes happens.
I hope after barracking you apologized after the final whistle, a rugby match is 80 minutes and not just 40!
There are unwritten rules in rugby, lines that you don't cross, booing and barracking your own team is one.
If this type of thing is to be considered acceptable then I think perhaps it's time that the mob was kept well back from the tunnel and pitch entrance if they canno't control their emotions!
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The Boy Dave wrote:

That is a 70's roundball mentality!
A ticket a sports event is not like buying a wooly jumper and a bottle of spirits, there is no guarantee it will make you feel warm inside and you can't get your money back if it's not of the expected standard.
I could not go on Saturday and it sounds like a very poor 1st half, having played rugby myself I understand that sometimes happens.
I hope after barracking you apologized after the final whistle, a rugby match is 80 minutes and not just 40!
There are unwritten rules in rugby, lines that you don't cross, booing and barracking your own team is one.
If this type of thing is to be considered acceptable then I think perhaps it's time that the mob was kept well back from the tunnel and pitch entrance if they canno't control their emotions!
Nonetheless, paying spectators are free to express their emotions as they see fit. If booing another shambolic performance is how they wish to do it, that's up to them. Some people on here have a rather rose tinted and misty eyed view that rugby is above all that.

Think again. It isn't, nor should it be. Apparently, I'm not the only one who thinks so either, perhaps you would like to question their '70's roundball mentality' too?
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Booing usually makes you look a bit simple. Often the behaviour of someone you wouldn't aspire to be. It's not particularly becoming as civilised behaviour for me. Hence I don't do it.

But I get why people did and don't blame those who did.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Quite a lot of people, many who congregate around the Crumbie steps, have made a huge investment in Tigers over many years; not just a financial investment but a commitment and an emotional attachment. Even as a Johnny-Come-Lately of sporadic attendance from 1995 until ST for 2006 (and only 4 shirts) I can understand their anguish, and am not willing to condemn their booing.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.