The streaker

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

KernowLeicester

Re: The streaker

Post by KernowLeicester »

In fairness to the stewards on the crumbie, they were organising themselves for half time and most were making a tunnel for the players and officials at the half way line so there was only one steward in a position to stop the guy, and considering how packed it gets he'd have had a hard job stopping getting to the pitch to get after the guy. saying that it was rather poor by them that the guy had to be ejected again after sneaking back into the stadium because he had a stamp on his hand for going for a smoke. Surely they can communicate to gate staff not to let someone back in after they've been thrown out.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Why don't we get any female streakers, it always seems to be some drunken idiot of a male at Welford road.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Noddy555 wrote:Why don't we get any female streakers, it always seems to be some drunken idiot of a male at Welford road.
Equal opportunity streaking is clearly the way forward!
BTW isn't it sad that nobody remembers Sarah Bennett, just because Roe had a much bigger embonpoint? (Or wore Bill Beaumont's bum, according to Steve Smith).
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

MarkyH wrote:Apparently the streaker had just misheard the crowd chanting 'Cockers out!'

I'm here all week...
Told mum and dad (80 and 82) your joke today. Tea down the nose time! Brilliant. Mum then told Graham Kitchener. This months man on the Hambo calendar which hangs in her wardrobe.

It's great to have crazy parents.
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Big Dai wrote:
MarkyH wrote:Apparently the streaker had just misheard the crowd chanting 'Cockers out!'

I'm here all week...
Told mum and dad (80 and 82) your joke today. Tea down the nose time! Brilliant. Mum then told Graham Kitchener. This months man on the Hambo calendar which hangs in her wardrobe.

It's great to have crazy parents.
:smt005 :smt044
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Surreytiger wrote:I hope both Hala'ufia and the streaker receive bans. Hala'ufia has no right to attack a member of the public.The streaker should never be allowed to attend a match at Welford Road again.
Given the standard of Rugby being played that could well be what the streaker hoped for.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Noddy555 wrote:Why don't we get any female streakers, it always seems to be some drunken idiot of a male at Welford road.
Always? Prior to Saturday, when was the last streaker at Welford Road?
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

Iain wrote:What an idiot. No sympathy for him getting smashed by Hala'ufia whatsoever. I hope it hurt!

Anyway, my main concern was the ineptitude and slow response by the stewards. They want bringing to task for that. Yes, this time it was a drunk halfwit running around in the nip for what I'm sure he'd describe as "a bit of banter" (because he's an idiot). But what if next time it was a drunk angry idiot running at the referee for a bad decision, or running at an opposition player because they had seen some foul play?

The stewards did not move until he was off the pitch. It shouldn't have been Hala'ufia's responsibility to sort it out. But it was, and he was right to do so.
The streaker could have been charged with aggrevated trespass as the game was in progress, I was present at a match at Twickenham which was very family orientated, when one was led off and the Police Sgt present cautioned him and told him he had exposed himself to minors, he later told me it would never stick but you should have seen the streakers face especially as he then stated he was a school teacher.
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

L Smith wrote:
Norfolk & Goode wrote:What probably narked Hala'ufia was that the streaker came on when a penalty kick was being lined up, which also justified the extra slap he rightly deserved.

As for those putting blame on the stewards, do you really expect a dayglo clad herd to go chasing at the drop of a hat (or trousers) and catch him? - get real! He headed for the opposite side where he was apprehended by stewards, job done.
My friend says that Stewards are discouraged from chasing streakers at sporting events, as it draws the process out. Also, if you upload footage of stewards chasing streakers and put some benny Hill music on as a soundtrack, it looks hilarious. :smt003
You are absolutely correct, also I do not believe there are many SIA badged stewards, or there wasn't in my day so they are not actually allowed to lay hands on.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

mol2 wrote:Let's not blame the stewards - their role is to help guide visitors to their seats and usher those leaving in the right directions not to be security guards. If we start needing that something is going badly wrong.
One pillock should not change that.

sorry that is wrong the primary role is the safety of the spectators, like someone previously stated, it is very hard to spot when someone has stripped off and is making a break for the pitch, if you are near them and see them go, you stop them if you are not you don't chase them or it becomes a Keystone Cop chase
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

Chobbsy wrote:
mol2 wrote:Let's not blame the stewards - their role is to help guide visitors to their seats and usher those leaving in the right directions not to be security guards. If we start needing that something is going badly wrong.

sorry that is wrong the primary role is the safety of the spectators, like someone previously stated, it is very hard to spot when someone has stripped off and is making a break for the pitch, if you are near them and see them go, you stop them if you are not you don't chase them or it becomes a Keystone Cop chase
It is difficult, the people who were with him and held his clothes were ejected along with the idiot, the only problem is he got back in !!!
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

floridaboy wrote:
Chobbsy wrote:

It is difficult, the people who were with him and held his clothes were ejected along with the idiot, the only problem is he got back in !!![/quote

Him getting back in is unforgivable, he should have been handed over to the police for a fixed penalty notice, his details would then have been given to the stadium to issue his ban for all matches for however long.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Surely the fact he wasn't turned over to the police and that he was assaulted while on the pitch are closely related. If there's no-one in custody it's difficult to pursue Hala'ufia. The streaker gets away without a fine or worse in exchange for not being in a position to take legal action on his assailant without having to make himself liable to public order offences himself. Getting back into the ground in those circumstances was either very 'brave' or very stupid. Judging by his previous behaviour I know which of those I think applies.
KernowLeicester

Post by KernowLeicester »

The stewards don't have the power to detain, although they are allowed to use limited restraining techniques if required. Otherwise the guy would have been given to the police, Bit of a shame really.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

Surely the stewards have the same powers as the rest of us - to exercise a 'citizen's arrest'. Not necessarily easy to get right, but since they will likely be using 'minimal force' to catch and eject the fellow, hardly a big step up from what we all saw them do. I assume there were police present at the ground on Saturday to whom he could have been easily turned over, had they wished to.