Booing at HT on Saturday

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Clive1960

Booing at HT on Saturday

Post by Clive1960 »

In all my years at WR cant ever remember hearing that sound before, any comments anyone?
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Booing at HT on Saturday

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Surely you have heard the ref being booed before or was this a different cacophony of booing?
Clive1960

Post by Clive1960 »

Oh yes plenty of times but this was aimed at the team, ref had nothing to do with it.
AmericanTiger

Post by AmericanTiger »

My booing was aimed at the ref, not the team.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Wasn't there but losing 7-10 to Welsh at half-time… if you don't get booed then you never will...
Jose
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Jose »

I didn't participate, but it ws an understandable and justifiable reaction to an abysmal first half from Tigers. We were gifted a try by London Welsh after 5 minutes and then proceeded to lose the next 35 minutes 10-0 at home to a team that hasn't even come close to winning a Premiership game all season. It's not just about the scoreboard, it was about the fact that the team didn't appear to be acquainted with each other and (I never thought I'd say this) the pack performed as a collection of individuals. Add this to the usual complete absence of a theory about what to do with the ball when we did have it and you get a rather unsatisfactory half.

For the record, I tend to err towards the happy clappy camp and the seeing reasonable justification for our performance (injuries, problems with retention/recuritment when others flouting salary cap, sense of realism re expectations, etc) but there are limits and the first half on Saturday exceeded them!
Joe The Tigers Fan
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

Jose, I am of a similar mindset to you, I think.
The only thing I would add in this context is that I think an element of the booing was aimed at the ref, as well as at both sides. Combined, they served up a heap of rubbish.
The ref was so whistle happy (admittedly not helped by players unable to pass and catch), but the game stuttered from stoppage to stoppage. I hate to think how much actual playing time there was. Not helped by Welsh, who generally took an age to get set at the line-outs, and to pack down at the scrums.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

This has no place at Welford road no matter how badly we are playing and
no matter who the opposition is (with the possible exception of Saints).
Not only is it bad manners, it demeans the game of rugby and makes us all look like a rowdy soccer crowd. I suggest that those people who wish to continue this should decamp to the Kingpower stadium when Leicester city are playing.
Tigerpete

Post by Tigerpete »

I thought it was aimed at the ref...
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

Noddy555 wrote:This has no place at Welford road no matter how badly we are playing and
no matter who the opposition is (with the possible exception of Saints).
Not only is it bad manners, it demeans the game of rugby and makes us all look like a rowdy soccer crowd. I suggest that those people who wish to continue this should decamp to the Kingpower stadium when Leicester city are playing.
So either it is, or it isn't acceptable? If it demeans the game, why would you condone it at any match?

Personally, I think people who'd paid good money to watch the match to be served up that drivel, have every right to voice their displeasure, however they want to do it.
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Supporters need to decide what sort of crowd they wish to be.
Are they seriously a 16th man or nothing more than a mob!
Certainly no need for any sort of displeasure to be shown until at least after the match in any case and definately no need for booing, players aren't stupid and they will know if they have played well or not!
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The Boy Dave wrote:Supporters need to decide what sort of crowd they wish to be.
Are they seriously a 16th man or nothing more than a mob!
Certainly no need for any sort of displeasure to be shown until at least after the match in any case and definately no need for booing, players aren't stupid and they will know if they have played well or not!
Booing happens at most rugby grounds - usually its directed at the officials, but nonetheless, I can't remember an AP match I went to that didn't have supporters 'voicing their concerns' in one way or another.

Some supporters seem to be worse than others, but it happens all over. Welford Rd isn't some kind of utopia...
“It is no use saying, ‘We are doing our best.’ You have got to succeed in doing what is necessary.” Sir Winston Churchill.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

Roly
Booing happens at most rugby grounds - usually its directed at the officials, but nonetheless, I can't remember an AP match I went to that didn't have supporters 'voicing their concerns' in one way or another.
I don't recall England fans booing their team in 2003 because they were 17 all.
Booing is negative, it could create a reaction, either way it leaves a bad taste and is not nice environment, I don't like it!
A crowd like that will certainly not attract class players!
Cheery chappy
Roly
Super User
Super User

Post by Roly »

The Boy Dave wrote:
Roly
I don't recall England fans booing their team in 2003 because they were 17 all.
Booing is negative, it could create a reaction, either way it leaves a bad taste and is not nice environment, I don't like it!
A crowd like that will certainly not attract class players!
True, but then perhaps Tigers' should start playing in a manner that doesn't leave the average supporter thinking that the team should all be wearing a pair of knickers on their heads. That way, there'd be no need for some to vent their anger and or frustration would there?
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I too don't like to hear booing at a rugby game; leave that for the wendy ball fraternity. The total lack of crowd noise in support of play said it all for me.

And as for Wiggles performance........ :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!