Saracens v Tigers

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

ourla
Super User
Super User

Saracens v Tigers

Post by ourla »

In many ways this match is as big as the Wasps match in a months time with several strands of interest. No. 1 of course is that if we win we will almost certainly leapfrog Saracens and put ourselves in 3rd place and just a point or two behind Bath (assuming they win against Newcastle on Friday, which isn't a given) with Welsh at home to come next. That really would be an amazing turn around on our part, would go a long way to securing that top 4 finish and put the cat among the pidgeons in terms of who is at home in the semis.

Perhaps more realistic is to think in terms of what we can take from the game if we don't win it. A TB seems unlikely. A LB is doable. Don't forget the home leg was a draw. Thinking sensibly given our away performances recently and our record at the Allianz, a point or two and limiting Saracens to just the 4 would be satisfactory. And once again that Wasps game will be the biggie. But some kind of performance is needed. A big loss would halt the run and put a question mark over our ability to make a fist of the play offs should we get there.

Another thought is that Saracens are coming off a big European game whilst we will be very fresh. That can work two ways - especially given Saracens won. Hopefully our defence can keep up the good work and frustrate Saracens, and hopefully lead to some fatigue later in the game.

I actually think it will be a tight game, quite low scoring, with Sarries just doing enough.

A postscript to whatever we do is the Exeter v Northampton game on Sunday. An Exeter win and Northampton are suddenly struggling for form and going in the wrong direction at the crucial time of the season. A Northampton win and a home semi is almost assured with Exeter losing more ground and facing Wasps away next.

Will Cockers go with Smith again for the defence? Who will replace Benjamin and will Cockers make any rotations in the pack?
kpj tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: Saracens v Tigers

Post by kpj tiger »

Not going to be an easy game, hopefully our lads are a bit fresher than theirs after the week off, I think we might see a fair few tries if the weather is as good as the past few days.

I would go with this team:
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Thorn/Kitchener
5. Parling
6. Gibson
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Burns
11. Goneva
12. Bai
13. Loamanu
14. Thompstone
15. Tait

16. Ghiraldini
17. Rizzo/Balmain
18. Mulipola
19. Kitchener/De Chaves
20. Pearce
21. Harrison
22. Bell
23. Smith
Nizzle1
Tiger Cub

Post by Nizzle1 »

I think we can all agree that the pack will be like that, and rightly so, I think we can dominate up front.

However I would like to see Smith keep his place, for defensive purposes. Yes I agree Bai and Loamanu would be a great spectacle attacking wise, BUT we'd have two over eager line breaking, tunnel visioned, machines creating dog legs in midfield all day long- and we would get severely punished by sarries.
Start with Smith to get a strong hold in the game defensively, then bring Loamanu on, for either Bai or Smith depending on how it goes, with 25 minutes to go (when sarries are tired) so he can destroy- as we all want to see him do.

My forecast is it will be a low scoring, 1/2 tries apiece game, where Burns' kicking will bring us home the win by 3-5 points.
Last edited by Nizzle1 on Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Really looking forward to going to this. Sun should be out, making for a nice away day with necessary refreshments.

I've said before that the week break for us against the tough quarter final Saracens had six days previously may be crucial. You say about our record at Allianz Park but we've only played there once on a day where we pretty much called in the performance. This season we have already won twice on plastic.

It is a game we could win, though we will be underdogs. It needn't be fatal if we lose though.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I agree with Ourla this might be as big a match as wasps and I think Saracens may be distracted by the upcoming European semi final with Clermont? So now is as good a time to play them as any. if we can field our strongest team of those players available, I don't see why we shouldn't approach this match with optimism. Racing Metro highlighted several Saracens flaws through their narrow defeat mostly the weakness of the front row and lack of communication between forwards and backs.
Keep your fingers crossed, toes too.
Soggypitch
Super User
Super User

Post by Soggypitch »

kpj tiger wrote:Not going to be an easy game, hopefully our lads are a bit fresher than theirs after the week off, I think we might see a fair few tries if the weather is as good as the past few days.

I would go with this team:
1. Ayerza
2. Youngs
3. Cole
4. Thorn/Kitchener
5. Parling
6. Gibson
7. Salvi
8. Crane
9. Youngs
10. Burns
11. Goneva
12. Bai
13. Loamanu
14. Thompstone
15. Tait

16. Ghiraldini
17. Rizzo/Balmain
18. Mulipola
19. Kitchener/De Chaves
20. Pearce
21. Harrison
22. Bell
23. Smith
On radio Leicester last night it said Thorn wouldn't be risked on the artificial pitch, it also said Scully was fit, in which case he would be in my starting team as he's by far our best kick chaser.
Soggypitch
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

Maybe our chances just improved ??

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/32219924
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Probable Sarries.

Burger WILL be suspended - it was a pretty obvious late, high hit - and I also think they will rotate rather than go full strength. This is their standard policy, and sandwiched between two European matches I expect a few changes where it does not weaken the XV dramatically.

1. M. Vunipola
2. Brits (he's back and needs to get up to match fitness)
3. Figallo
4. Hamilton
5. Hargreaves
6. Itoje
7. Brown
8. B. Vunipola

9. De Kock
10. Hodgson
11. Strettle
12. Wyles
13. Bosch
14. Ashton
15. Goode

Basically the same backline from last week, but with de Kock rotated in. Frankly, their backs didn't do very much last weekend anyway...

Pack very mixed up. If Hargreaves isn't fit then Kruis to start. The three front-line locks each get rotated regularly.

Itoje into the back row. Burger's inevitable ban makes that likely, and Sarries really trust their young star - he's only 20 but has played 17 games already this season. They might not be convinced he has the beast to be a lock right now, but they'll stick him in at 6 against us.

Wray rotated out for Brown. I think Billy will start, though - there is a fair drop from him to Joubert right now, and whilst he could do with a break after the 6N and European games, I think this game is too big to drop him. The alternative back-row could include either Wray or Joubert for Billy (if they have both eyes on next week) but I have a feeling that Itoje starts regardless.
ads
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by ads »

Ooh, it's getting exciting init!!

:smt041
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Can't see Billy V playing this weekend.

Will be given a week's rest for the Clermont game next weekend.

reckon we could see something like this:
1) Vunipola, 2) Brits, 3) Du plessis
4) Itojie, 5) Hargreaves
6) Wray, 7) Brown, 8) Joubert
9) De Kock, 10) Hodgson
12) Barritt, 13) Taylor
11) Strettle, 14) Ashton, 15) Goode

IMO not as strong as their normal first XV but @ Home reckon Sarries would back that team TBH.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

RagingBull wrote:Can't see Billy V playing this weekend.

Will be given a week's rest for the Clermont game next weekend.

reckon we could see something like this:
1) Vunipola, 2) Brits, 3) Du plessis
4) Itojie, 5) Hargreaves
6) Wray, 7) Brown, 8) Joubert
9) De Kock, 10) Hodgson
12) Barritt, 13) Taylor
11) Strettle, 14) Ashton, 15) Goode

IMO not as strong as their normal first XV but @ Home reckon Sarries would back that team TBH.
Barritt and Taylor are both still injured, I think. Certainly they were last weekend. Though if either is returning, I would expect them to play to get game time before the Cup semi final.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Also, they could be without Jacques Burger according to the BBC.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:Also, they could be without Jacques Burger according to the BBC.
Definitely without Burger - his suspension is taken as read.

Swinging arm into the head of a player well after he had passed the ball.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:Also, they could be without Jacques Burger according to the BBC.
Tigercaspian told us 5 posts ago............................... :smt003
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

tigerburnie wrote:Tigercaspian told us 5 posts ago............................... :smt003
My apologies. It would appear the line 'Maybe our chances just improved ??' was too cryptic for me. :smt002