League players.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

League players.

Post by Smudge »

Following a conversation with friends yesterday I said I would ask the members of the forum if you have enough knowledge of RL to identify any players who would be an asset to Tigers.

Frankly it's years since I was bothered to look at a game let alone read about one, but since Bath were able to entice a big name over and Leeds have done the
same, it would be interesting to know if there are any more Jason Robinsons around who could boost our ranks.

Back in my day we got fed up of players going "north" but now the boot is on the other foot it would be interesting to know if we are missing a trick.

Discuss please.
A life long Tiger
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Re: League players.

Post by ellis9 »

None. I can think of only one player who was better at Union that at League and the only one that made the right choice in switching codes. That man is Jason Robinson.

Andy Farrell
Henry Paul
Joel Tomkins
Owen Farrell
Sam Burgess

None of these would have been or are not good enough for Tigers

Actually, George Ford started in League who is good enough but as you're asking for current League players then I'd say none.
longlivethecrumbie
Super User
Super User

Post by longlivethecrumbie »

Purely on his try scoring record, I'd say Ryan Hall from Leeds
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

I think Sam Tomkins would add something to Tigers at Fullback, doubt we'd get him though.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

Well, we do already have Brad Thorn....
Super User
Super User

Post by 4071 »

ellis9 wrote:None. I can think of only one player who was better at Union that at League and the only one that made the right choice in switching codes. That man is Jason Robinson.
Steven Myler and Chris Ashton as well.

As an aside, Owen Farrell and George Ford were not 'code swaps' - both were playing League and Union as they grew up. Both played Union for England at U16 level, so are hardly code swaps. A lot of current rugby players probably played football and cricket in their youth as well - doesn't make them code swaps.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

I think it is getting very difficult to switch now, even for backs. The Union games is massively more technical than it was 15 years ago when Robinson switched, and the physical and fitness gap that used to exist has also disappeared.

I would liked to have seen Greg Ingles from South Syndney try his hand at Union.
BarmyBamford

Post by BarmyBamford »

It may be the wrong place for this but I just want to stand up for Henry Paul, true he never stood out at international level in the XV a side game, but he was excellent at sevens
Surreytiger

Post by Surreytiger »

I would like to see Rangi Chase , Josh charnley ,Shaun Johnson and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck. Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDE2WUAJOKM
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Thanks for the link SurryTiger. That was awesome to watch.
A life long Tiger
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I'll second that.

I find it hard at times to understand those who say RL has nothing to offer either in terms of entertainment or bringing skills to our game. Having grown up playing and watching league I now prefer union but still enjoy league. I'm sure there are many 10's if not 100's of league players, particularly overseas, who would bring something new and valuable to the union game were they to make the switch.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

Noggs wrote:I'll second that.

I find it hard at times to understand those who say RL has nothing to offer either in terms of entertainment or bringing skills to our game. Having grown up playing and watching league I now prefer union but still enjoy league. I'm sure there are many 10's if not 100's of league players, particularly overseas, who would bring something new and valuable to the union game were they to make the switch.
+1 :smt039
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

Agree with that too. I don't think the issue is that RL players lack skills, more that the game is so different it takes a while to adapt. Look at any YouTube clips of Burgess player for S Sydney- he was awesome. At the moment he is a pale shadow because he hasn't yet worked out where to be on the field. If he sticks it out and finds the right position he could be great.

Incidentally, Lote Tuquiri
physiodan
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by physiodan »

Freddie Tuilagi

Not only did he bring himself to tigers but also, Henry, Alex, Andy, Vavae, Manu and the next generation.

There are so many players who can more than add to RU but I think the key is actually signing them early on potential rather than waiting for them to become stars.

What I would like to see is us tapping into the American Football market. Yes it is a different game but the potential is huge for the guys who don't make the NFL. Carlin Ilses is just an example but if attracted soon enough then we could generate a stream of big, fast hard hitting players who have great footwork.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

No 4071 Chris Ashton never. Ill disciplined, Flashy and often takes wrong decisions which indicates a poor rugby brain