Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

fentiger
Super User
Super User

Salvi

Post by fentiger »

Make of this what you will, quoted from Twitlonger:
'My agent and I have been informed by various fans who attended the ‘Fans Forum’ on Wednesday 4 March that it was confirmed at the 'Fans Forum' by Richard Cockerill that a ‘best and final' offer from Leicester Tigers is presently on the table to me. One fan quoted Richard Cockerill as saying ‘’we hope he will sign it and stay but as things stand he’s leaving’’.

It seems both my agent and I were mistakenly under the impression that the offer of employment from Leicester Tigers had been withdrawn.

I hereby accept the offer of employment that is on the table and I look forward to furthering my career at the Leicester Tigers. #tigersfamily @leicestertigers'
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Salvi

Post by JackFlashJonny »

This is rather odd....But great news if true (the IF being a very large one!)
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Who is Twitlonger?

UPDATE - Ignore this. I don't use this social media and assumed Twitlonger was somebody's nom de Twitter.
Last edited by InGuinnessVeritas on Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
snoopster

Post by snoopster »

fentiger wrote:Make of this what you will, quoted from Twitlonger:
'My agent and I have been informed by various fans who attended the ‘Fans Forum’ on Wednesday 4 March that it was confirmed at the 'Fans Forum' by Richard Cockerill that a ‘best and final' offer from Leicester Tigers is presently on the table to me. One fan quoted Richard Cockerill as saying ‘’we hope he will sign it and stay but as things stand he’s leaving’’.

It seems both my agent and I were mistakenly under the impression that the offer of employment from Leicester Tigers had been withdrawn.

I hereby accept the offer of employment that is on the table and I look forward to furthering my career at the Leicester Tigers. #tigersfamily @leicestertigers'
Great news if this is the unconfused version.
With O'Connor signed as well it leaves us looking very strong at 7.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

This is a very strange development and it will be extremely interesting to see what now transpires given RC's comments on Salvi's future at the supporters forum and now Salvi's subsequent acceptance by Twitter to Tigers of the offer on the table which he believed had been withdrawn.

Is twitter really the way to agree a new contract says a lot about communication at Tigers and an insight to the possible problems with player contract discussions :smt017

This may prove a masterful tactic by RC to get Salvi to sign a new contract in which case he has played a blinder! However, if indeed the offer was withdrawn then it has backfired big time.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

This is weird. Very weird.

So much so that I'm going to ignore it until something more concrete is said.
kornboy130
Super User
Super User

Post by kornboy130 »

You would have to think Julian is being quite sharp worded/sarcastic - what is said at a Fans Forum is always going to have an edge of what the fans might like to hear - i.e. "we did all we could to keep him but he chose elsewhere" - sounds better than "our offer wasn't deemed to be in line with the market" - but essentially the same process could have occurred.
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

sapajo wrote: Is twitter really the way to agree a new contract says a lot about communication at Tigers and an insight to the possible problems with player contract discussions :smt017

This may prove a masterful tactic by RC to get Salvi to sign a new contract in which case he has played a blinder! However, if indeed the offer was withdrawn then it has backfired big time.
I would hope that this message is meant to assuage supporters' worries and it comes AFTER everything has been straightened out at the club. If true, there has been a bit of a blunder somewhere along the communication chain (and my lack of knowledge of the situation doesn't stop me assuming it's the intermediary's fault!).

Like Iain, I await the official word.
JWM
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by JWM »

I think it throws under the spotlight light not just this one case, but the way Leicester Tigers seems to have been doing business with players in recent years full stop (which exploded all too visibly in the Castro situation).

If Castro, if Salvi, then which other players...???

This atmosphere has not seemingly been thus during the whole of Cockers' tenure, and he too is 'just an employee'... So what was it 'at the top' which changed around 2011/12??
Last edited by JWM on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ST in new Clubhouse stand ... sadly, my back's no longer up to standing :-(
watsonjm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by watsonjm »

Very odd indeed but the tweet was from Salvi's account and seems to specific to recent events to be a hack so i can only assume he will sign.

Could this be cockers trying to say Salvi didnt want to say when actually tigers didnt make him an offer
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

watsonjm wrote: Could this be cockers trying to say Salvi didnt want to say when actually tigers didnt make him an offer
Tigers did make him an offer because Salvi has now accepted it :smt023
watsonjm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by watsonjm »

sapajo wrote:
watsonjm wrote: Could this be cockers trying to say Salvi didnt want to say when actually tigers didnt make him an offer
Not 100% till it comes from the horses mouth. Seems very very odd that Salvi and his agent didnt know the offer was still on the table.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

If it's not a wind-up, negotiating an employment contract via social media is an unusual ploy to say the least.
...we'll see....
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

watsonjm wrote:
sapajo wrote:
Not 100% till it comes from the horses mouth. Seems very very odd that Salvi and his agent didnt know the offer was still on the table.
Please who is the horses mouth ? If its Salvi why is his word gospel compared to Cockers and by vice versa?
watsonjm
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by watsonjm »

sapajo wrote:Please who is the horses mouth ? If its Salvi why is his word gospel compared to Cockers and by vice versa?
For me horses mouth is when the club announce it. This all just seems odd. I cant beleive Salvi and his agent didnt know about the deal if it was there. Not in this day and age.