Re: 5 Laws you'd like to see changed in rugby

Post by rich1576 »

I think all refs and linemen should be Tigers supporters
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Timekeeper stops watch before every scrum, lineout, penalty kick, conversion. Watch starts when ref indicates (e.g. taps 9 on back). Stops when scrum whistled up or ball back in play. The knock-on effect is that fatboys get worn out and sheer weight becomes a handicap, when they have to play 80 and not 50.

Choke tackle, ref calls use it, if defence do not rip, scrum to attack.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Nizzle1
Tiger Cub

Post by Nizzle1 »

Personally i wouldn't have stoppage time, but allow the fourth official, tmo, or even the ref if they wanted, stop the clock for things like scrums, line-outs and penalty kicks until the ball is live and in play again. This way the ref can take his time making the correct decisions at scrum time, it becomes impossible to run the clock down in line-outs etc and means the spectators actually get 80 minutes of rugby they deserve! not the 60 odd we get currently!
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Nizzle1 wrote:Personally i wouldn't have stoppage time, but allow the fourth official, tmo, or even the ref if they wanted, stop the clock for things like scrums, line-outs and penalty kicks until the ball is live and in play again. This way the ref can take his time making the correct decisions at scrum time, it becomes impossible to run the clock down in line-outs etc and means the spectators actually get 80 minutes of rugby they deserve! not the 60 odd we get currently!
Hi Nizzle. can you let me know who you're watching to get 60 minutes of live rugby in a game?

A bit out of date but:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/09/03/ho ... ch-really/
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Yeah, when I posted my last lot of wishful thinking I was under the impression that the longest recorded in play was 48 mins, and 30 was the median. The latter seems about right (not much below the 35), no idea where the first figure came from.
Do you get the feeling that a lot of fans are cheesed off? My Stains-in-laws and their mates are always moaning about the breakdown, time in play, choke tackle, Bath, scrum collapse, Bath....oh and Bath.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Nizzle1
Tiger Cub

Post by Nizzle1 »

h's dad wrote:
Nizzle1 wrote:Personally i wouldn't have stoppage time, but allow the fourth official, tmo, or even the ref if they wanted, stop the clock for things like scrums, line-outs and penalty kicks until the ball is live and in play again. This way the ref can take his time making the correct decisions at scrum time, it becomes impossible to run the clock down in line-outs etc and means the spectators actually get 80 minutes of rugby they deserve! not the 60 odd we get currently!
Hi Nizzle. can you let me know who you're watching to get 60 minutes of live rugby in a game?

A bit out of date but:
http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/09/03/ho ... ch-really/
ah! it seems i was being too optimistic to begin with! even more of a reason to stop the clock then!
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

I'd like to see the sin period 10 minutes extended to 15 or even 20 minutes. Its too easy for teams to run the clock down currently. Another related idea would be to give the ref the option to extend the period of the sin bin by up to 5 minutes for each occasion he sees time wasting during the binning. This idea could also be applied to periods of normal play (ie 15:15) - allow the ref to add time to the clock when he sees a side wasting time (eg at line-outs, scrums) and trying to gain advantage from it.

Could do all of these course.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I hate the delay at line-outs
Agreed… fed up of the 'fly-half boots it out and the the forwards have a natter and an amble up the line when they fancy it'.

Austin Healey 'bless him he can talk some sense' also hates this and has suggested that the kicking team have 30 seconds from booting it out until a re-start.. if not, the other team take the line-out.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

A controversial one from me before bedtime…

I'd change the knock-on rule TO if you drop the ball from a pass or kick (uncontested) the opposing team get a scrum. None of this, did the ball go back or not debate. Catching is a simple skill… if you can't do it you don't deserve possession IMO!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

MrPartridge wrote:A controversial one from me before bedtime…

I'd change the knock-on rule TO if you drop the ball from a pass or kick (uncontested) the opposing team get a scrum. None of this, did the ball go back or not debate. Catching is a simple skill… if you can't do it you don't deserve possession IMO!
That pretty much happens anyway!

I'd like to see something to stop the more powerful scrummaging teams 'winning' penalties. Maybe the ref can shout "use it" when the ball is available similar to a ruck. Heresy, probably, for a Tigers fan, but I don't like watching teams get penalties simply by being better.
strawclearer
Super User
Super User

Post by strawclearer »

Allow substitution for injury only which would encourage lighter, fitter players who could last 80 minutes. Ban lifting in the lineouts which would favour these lighter, fitter players. Lineouts would become more competitive (and enjoyable) and safer as players would not be coming down from the heights they do now. Reducing the average weight of players would result in less ‘car-crash’ rugby; more open and attractive rugby played at a faster pace and far fewer impact and joint injuries. Enforce a genuine 'not straight' law for put-ins to encourage hookers to hook rather than being the third prop. Ban Stuart Barnes…just because.
Happy days clearing straw from the pitch before the Baa-Baas games! KBO
Wear a Mask>Protect The NHS>Save Lives
arickett

Post by arickett »

45 minute halves with the advent of professional players growth of sub use and the mess round scrums this make sense.
doublecarpet

Post by doublecarpet »

Not so much a rule change, but look at the bonus point being introduced into the 6 Nations.
mightymouse
Super User
Super User

Post by mightymouse »

I agree with a lot of what has already been said - especially making the ball come in straight at scrums and enforcing hookers to hook - if not scrum half off- props going down- off - charging or pushing before the ball in - penalty - repeat it someone off.

I agree - ban lifting in lineouts
I agree - get rid of quick throws
I agree - wasting time at line outs and running clock down - penalty

I think the ball trapped in the maul should be given to the team who were going forwards

But my biggest 2 things would be ( as said on here recently) ban the launching through the air to catch a ball so that nobody can touch you! and I would start by banning leading with knees or boots - anyone flying through the air leading with those should be the ones off the field for dangerous play.

and the most important all (all of which are pretty much going back to the laws as they used to be ) is bring back the old ruck law (law 16 if memory serves correctly) - once the ball carrier is tackled and hits the floor EVERYONE must leave the ball alone( no re-positioning or placing) The next man in constitutes a ruck and therefore the ball may only be played by the feet - NO HANDS until received at the back of the ruck by the scrumhalf or acting scrum half. This would lead to much faster ball fewer pile ups and less injury. A good rucking attacking team will get more space and more pace, however we would not get this stalemate, trench warfare we get now because body position as you go into the tackle is everything and the art of the defensive tackle (a la Dean Richards ) would be back -defence turned into attack by a great turn tackle putting the ball carrier on the wrong side and giving the defending forwards the opportunity to counter ruck and win the ball,
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Proper rucking would prevent any hands on the ball or holding on, you sure as heck wouldn't get caught on the wrong side too often in a game either.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.