5 Laws you'd like to see changed in rugby

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

5 Laws you'd like to see changed in rugby

Post by chipnchase »

So I know there is already a thread around Shaun Edwards comments to do with the choke tackle but I thought i'd throw it out there to forum users what laws they'd like to see changed in order to open up the game and make it safer.

So here are mine:

1: The back row only pack down after the front five have engaged and the scrum is steady.

- I suppose you could say like it used to! By taking off the force of another 6 18st monsters driving in the 10 players in the middle we might see more scrums set correctly and completed quickly. Remember the 'engagement' is a new thing in the game, the law has always stated that teams should not drive until the ball is in.

2: Protect the maul, kill the choke tackle!

- Once a player is held up off the ground this is a maul and as long as it continues to move forward it is still a maul. Should the maul stop and the ball become trapped then the defending team receive the put in to the scrum. Should the maul collapse whilst moving forward then a penalty be awarded.

3: Tackle height - Chest is best!

- a line across the arm pits should be the limit, anything above should be deemed dangerous. No matter what the force of the tackle the minute we started allowing players to 'wrap' or 'bear hug' players over the shoulders we allowed the chances of contact with the head to increase. Whilst we are at it its time we loose the 'big' shoulder charge hits regardless if arms are coming around. you can still tackle a player hard by legally wrapping and driving through, now we have 18st monsters leading with the shoulder but its 'OK' because the arms are following.

4: Your tackled - place the ball!

- A referee told me once that you have to 'play the ball' once tackled, so basically you do not have to release as long as the ball is being made available. Rubbish rule and in no way encourages an open game or an opportunity for the defender to steal! When a player is being tackle he has the option to pass or offload, once he hits the floor he should be allowed to place the ball once. Once the ball is placed he gets his hands off.

5: Its just ruck and roll, but I like it!

- Scotland showed recently how you can destroy a ruck by deploying negative tactics to slow down the attacking side. So if we are happy that players have one chance to place the ball we should be happy to insist the tackler rolls away from the tackle area and can only compete once he has entered from his own defending goal line. In turn this gives the referee a better chance to see if the first person their is on their feet and entering through the rear foot to pick up the ball. If they do not do this at the first attempt then HANDS OFF! The ruck becomes a pushing competition again were players must stay on their feet and drive a player backwards and go pass the ball, should they wrestle or throw each other to the side like they do now this is a penalty. Allow the scrum half to be the only man to pick the ball out or an attacker who is moving forward before entering the ruck to pick it up.

Just some ideas and i'm sure everyone will have different ideas, i'm just keen to hear them!
Alatoruk

Re: 5 Laws you'd like to see changed in rugby

Post by Alatoruk »

Personally I'd like to change the law on mauls, so the side going forward gets the put in at the scrum if the ball doesnt come out. If you get into a maul and dont move then fair enough the other side should get the put in. but if you are moving forward why should you lose the ball??
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

I would personally get rid of quick throw ins. I don't like them and never have. I feel it just penalises a kicker for making a better kick for touch.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

Ban all kicks in open play. Much better.

Less lineouts, so less stoppages and force teams to play out of their own 22.
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

Ban teams with a narrow lead letting the clock run down at the end of the game by the forwards constantly taking a tackle in pods, going to ground, slowly recycling the ball and repeat.
chipnchase
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by chipnchase »

Heres one! Should we get rid of in play clock stoppages and go back to the referee determining the amount of time left on the clock for injuries / long pauses in play? Would this prevent players from time wasting, collapsing scrums, in short not playing the game.

Imagine getting to 80 minutes having been 2 points ahead not knowing how long is left to then find out because you've been trying to protect your lead by slowing the game down their is ten minutes still left to play. Would the mindset shift to one of wanting to make sure you are 8 points clear by the time the clock ticks to 80 minutes?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Getting rid of the clock would cause more problems in the officiating. At least the teams, coaches and fans know how long is to go.
The clock helps with the officiating of sin binnings, blood replacements and concussion assessments.
At least it will not attract Ferguson Time accusations form any parties!!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

Two points for a penalty.

It's not just that we're playing badly at present, pro rugby is becoming too defensive.

Totally agree, let's keep the ball on pitch and in play. Austin is right - give the fat blokes less time to walk about having a blow and we won't produce so many monsters.

And, connected to the above, whatever else the sport can do to get on top of the concussion issue....
rich1576

Post by rich1576 »

The problem with making penalties only 2 points is that the defending side would be even more likely to give away penalties in their own 22 than give away a try
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

To be honest with refs interpreting the laws willy nilly, there's little point in changing anything just now. Let's have full time proffesional officials who are consistent.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

I'd like to see a 'one scrum only' rule. IMHO the re-setting of scrums is a blight on the game and loses us fans because a) it is boring and b) it wastes time and keeps the ball out of open play.

I've said it before that I don't know any other sport that allows the officials to effectively make a 'I don't know what happened there decision' and start again. IMO a scrum should result in either a) the ball becomes part of open play or b) a penalty is awarded. Seriously, is that too much too ask? Don't give me this… it's all a 'dark art' and 'very difficult to judge at times' baloney… GET ON WITH THE GAME!
simoscribbler
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by simoscribbler »

rich1576 wrote:The problem with making penalties only 2 points is that the defending side would be even more likely to give away penalties in their own 22 than give away a try
Maybe not if killing the ball - and a few similar offences - bought you 10 in the bin.

And 12 or 13 aside might give us a few more tries....
tigercaspian
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by tigercaspian »

The Forward Pass !
I don't care where the hands are pointing, if it goes forwards it goes forwards!!
Ref missed 4 of these by L Irish at the weekend by my reckoning, the most blatant of which almost led to a try for them.
johnthegriff
Super User
Super User

Post by johnthegriff »

I hate the delay at line-outs, we often see the defending team ready for the throw and the team throwing in yards away having a chat, get on with the game! A call or a signal should tell the hooker and team mates what ploy is being used, the ref should reverse the throw if not thrown in thirty seconds after the defending team has lined up.
Also we should go back to the throw taking place where the ball crosses the line not at some convenient point between that place and the defending sides try line. Under current rules the chances of winning your opponents ball are slim but lets at least ensure a contest for possession.
Alatoruk

Post by Alatoruk »

I think a penalty at 3 points is ok, but drop goals should be less. 2 (or even 1 point)