jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Reffing this weekend - reflections

Post by jgriffin »

England
A very mixed bag, but the best performance of the weekend
Ireland
Barnes....clueless, allowed the breakdown to become a bombsite, scrum guessing worse than normal, allowed POC to stand offside permanently and interfere with play. The Pape yellow was a TMO call, almost certainly a citing now. However it appeared that it was a maul (2 French driving, 3 Irish), Pape joins as Heaslip tries to haul the maul back and down. Do we judge by injury or by offence. IMO yellow it is at best, you can't prove intent, in years gone by it would've been hard luck and nothing else. If Barnes did not call maul then what is it? PS choke tackle does not exist in Law.
Scotland
The worst of the lot since Jackson was a bright hope for reffing, but IMO and with the benefit of replay, Scotland should've won with at least two Welsh yellow cards extra. Absolute mayhem at the breakdown.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Reffing this weekend - reflections

Post by loretta »

jgriffin wrote: Scotland
The worst of the lot since Jackson was a bright hope for reffing, but IMO and with the benefit of replay, Scotland should've won with at least two Welsh yellow cards extra. Absolute mayhem at the breakdown.
Not to mention that if the high tackle on Hidalgo-Clyne was a penalty offence, with the try line beckoning, surely it should have been a penalty try?
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
stonebob
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by stonebob »

well considering heaslip is gone for the rest of 6 nations becauce of papes knee a yellow seems justified...
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

The Scotland v Wales match today Stuart Hogg made a try saving tackle and then get back to his feet and over the ball to steal and then got smashed by a shoulder charge by a Welsh player flying into the ruck off his feet, play on and no action taken and all right in front of the referee, absolutely ridiculous!
Cheery chappy
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

The Boy Dave wrote:The Scotland v Wales match today Stuart Hogg made a try saving tackle and then get back to his feet and over the ball to steal and then got smashed by a shoulder charge by a Welsh player flying into the ruck off his feet, play on and no action taken and all right in front of the referee, absolutely ridiculous!
It was Gethin Jenkins, and he aimed at Hogg, his shoulder hit Hogg on the head, no other players around. I shouted 'yellow' to the TV. Nothing.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

The breakdown is now a war zone, until someone gets seriously injured I doubt anything will be done.
Chobbsy
Super User
Super User

Post by Chobbsy »

jgriffin wrote:England
Ireland
Barnes....clueless, allowed the breakdown to become a bombsite, scrum guessing worse than normal, allowed POC to stand offside permanently and interfere with play. The Pape yellow was a TMO call, almost certainly a citing now. However it appeared that it was a maul (2 French driving, 3 Irish), Pape joins as Heaslip tries to haul the maul back and down. Do we judge by injury or by offence. IMO yellow it is at best, you can't prove intent, in years gone by it would've been hard luck and nothing else. If Barnes did not call maul then what is it? PS choke tackle does not exist in Law.
Scotland
The best ref I watched this weekend was not in an international match, but was JP Doyle, he is a great ref on par with Nigel Owens
God created rugby so footballers have heros too
JackFlashJonny
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by JackFlashJonny »

Not according to Gloucester Chobbsy...

I agree I think Barnes has taken over from Alain Rolland in terms of ruining games but Owens and JP to some degree really do a great job at trying to keep things flowing!

Pity for Jackson I think he will get better I expected more from him..
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

Why do refs choose to ignore obvious infringements, I know JP Doyle is credited with trying to make the game flow but infringements are that for a reason, throw in's not straight are a blight as are crooked scrum feeds, JP chose to ignore both.
It is not the refs job to keep the game flowing that is down to the coaches and players, it really is. The ref is there to apply the laws and the laws are there to ensure a fair contest, if they (refs) think laws need to change speak up and get the laws change, personally at the lineout throwing the ball straight at your player who must by law be standing 1 mtr beyond the mark is cheating so should be punished.
Refs should apply the laws as they are written if they disagree with the laws they should initiate a discussion on it and then abide with the lawmakers.
This is not about interpretation but refs making a choice on which laws are important and which are not.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

jgriffin wrote:
The Boy Dave wrote:The Scotland v Wales match today Stuart Hogg made a try saving tackle and then get back to his feet and over the ball to steal and then got smashed by a shoulder charge by a Welsh player flying into the ruck off his feet, play on and no action taken and all right in front of the referee, absolutely ridiculous!
It was Gethin Jenkins, and he aimed at Hogg, his shoulder hit Hogg on the head, no other players around. I shouted 'yellow' to the TV. Nothing.
You need to get a samsung TV apparently they do listen to what you are saying
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

TigerCam wrote:
jgriffin wrote:
You need to get a samsung TV apparently they do listen to what you are saying
Drat, it's a Panasonic. Any chance if I got a Samsung that Osbourne would disappear in the manner I suggested last week? Would Cameron be able to contort himself that much to comply? Would Miliband's testicular atrophy reverse itself?
Would Barnes learn how to ref (OK a step too far, I know)? :smt025
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

Chobbsy wrote:
jgriffin wrote:England
Ireland
Scotland
The best ref I watched this weekend was not in an international match, but was JP Doyle, he is a great ref on par with Nigel Owens
pretty much every Gloucester Line out wasn't straight but he didn't call a single 1
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

Scotland were robbed in my opinion.

Some ref's seem card shy lately, the Red game in the Super 15's at the weekend was atrocious. Only one player got yellow, admittedly twice - but there should have been three or four more.

I thought JP D had an okay game, let down by gutless touch-judges who didn't call a single throw in and consistently let them play offside.

Here's hoping for better stuff this weekend.
T1GJR

Post by T1GJR »

BengalTiger wrote:... throw in's not straight are a blight ... This is not about interpretation but refs making a choice on which laws are important and which are not.
From what I saw of those line outs, the Tigers chose not to contest the throw in. My understanding when I did my refereeing qualification was that if you are not contesting it then the ball's straightness is not so important. When we did contest and it was not straight JP blew the whistle.
BengalTiger

Post by BengalTiger »

The early not straight throws were contested but after J P decided it was OK Tigers then started not to compete, a very clever response in my opinion.
But the lineout is supposed to be a contest JP Doyle decided he did not want a fair contest, which I think is totally wrong for such blatant cheating,