Manu to play in LV= final

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Manu to play in LV= final

Post by APJones »

Well if he's fit by the final, would he qualify to play after being out of the game for several months.A frightening prospect for the opposing academy players. :smt027
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Re: Manu to play in LV= final

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

APJones wrote:Well if he's fit by the final, would he qualify to play after being out of the game for several months.A frightening prospect for the opposing academy players. :smt027
given that Bath played their actual captain over the weekend in the LV I'm sure no one could argue against it
loretta
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by loretta »

IIRC, players can only appear in the final if they have already featured in earlier games.
In my defence, I was left unsupervised….
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

loretta wrote:IIRC, players can only appear in the final if they have already featured in earlier games.
no chance he'll be back for the semi?
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Jimmy Skitz wrote:
loretta wrote:IIRC, players can only appear in the final if they have already featured in earlier games.
no chance he'll be back for the semi?
He's in the England squad for Italy so hopefully he'll be back relatively soon although I won't believe any reports about him until he's back on the pitch.
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Lancaster said yesterday that he was a long way from being fit. That he wasn't even running fully in a straight line yet.

Reading between the lines, nobody knows. He has a major groin injury, which for a player of his nature, his physique, is a concern.

The main thing is he gets healthy. When that is really is irrelevant, given the nature of the injury.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I don't think Manu should play in the final even if he's fit. In the past Tigers have maintained the policy that the LV final should be contested by the group of players who got us to the final and this should be applauded and upheld.
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Agreed. At this point I'd sooner Manu not play for the rest of the season if it means being fit and ready for next season. If remotely fit he will rightly be away for the World Cup, so lets hope he goes into that without any niggle that could be aggravated.

Then we get him back with a swagger and buoyed by being a world champion but with a point to prove with us! (well I can dream).
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Isn't that the A-league final? And players can be played if the other team grant permission.

I seem to recall Hipkiss returning from injury, the only game he could possibly play was the A-league final or semi final against Sarries. They gave permission under the understanding that Hipkiss and another 1st team regular (no idea who, can't remember) weren't on the pitch at the same time.

I think Harlequins had to be asked permission for the final as well.

The idea was to give him some game time before the Guinness Premiership (as it was) final.
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

If Manu is fit enough it might be worth putting him on the bench for the semi then he would qualify for the final if needed. The LV= might well be the only peice of Silver ware the club could win in the 14 / 15 season. But only play Manu when he is 100% fit for it.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

Iain wrote:Agreed. At this point I'd sooner Manu not play for the rest of the season if it means being fit and ready for next season. If remotely fit he will rightly be away for the World Cup, so lets hope he goes into that without any niggle that could be aggravated.

Then we get him back with a swagger and buoyed by being a world champion but with a point to prove with us! (well I can dream).

I agree with you Iain. The priority for Manu is to get him properly fit for the World cup. Forget club rugby. It should be the highlight of his career this World Cup, in England, at the right age.

The next one comes around he is going on 29. He has missed virtually two years of international rugby, which is terrible for a player of his talent.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

If we see Manu play again at all this season, we'll be lucky. This injury is far, far more serious I suspect than anyone has let on. I will be happy to see him fit in preseason.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

jgriffin wrote:If we see Manu play again at all this season, we'll be lucky. This injury is far, far more serious I suspect than anyone has let on. I will be happy to see him fit in preseason.
Is that just speculation or do you know something we don't?
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

TigerLad wrote:
jgriffin wrote:If we see Manu play again at all this season, we'll be lucky. This injury is far, far more serious I suspect than anyone has let on. I will be happy to see him fit in preseason.
Is that just speculation or do you know something we don't?

Its self evident TL. He is now approaching the 4 month mark since the injury, and according to lancaster is still 'way off'. Keep in mind this was initially expected to be a matter of weeks.

Also this injury was a 're-injury' as he had just come back from injuring the same groin.

Tait was out for more than a year with his. Like JGriffin, i would be happy to see him fit by the summer, in time for pre season for the world cup.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Noddy555 wrote:I don't think Manu should play in the final even if he's fit. In the past Tigers have maintained the policy that the LV final should be contested by the group of players who got us to the final and this should be applauded and upheld.
This is wrong Noddy, we fielded a full starting first XV when we beat our near neighbours in the final and they had their full first team out as well.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.