4G pitch at Welford Road

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

grobyman

4G pitch at Welford Road

Post by grobyman »

6 tries on a plastic pitch rather than the bog fest that part of our pitch has become. Be interesting to get players views on which surface they prefer?
Obviously the 4g one allows for more expansion as evidenced by tries today.

I am open minded re this although the quality of the pitch near the Crumbie is an embarrassment this season. I know the reasons for it but with the development this summer?
tigersince74
Top Cat
Top Cat

Re: 4G pitch at Welford Road

Post by tigersince74 »

In his post-match interview Richard Blaze said that several players were complaining of joint pain attributed to the pitch. Most notably Owen Williams who had to come off.

We know why the pitch is a bog by the Crumbie. It has not been a problem in the past and it won’t be a problem in the future. Lesson learnt lets move on.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

There are still safety concerns about artificial surfaces. As has been reported before, it was not long after theirs was laid that Saracens stopped training on it every day. The worry is about joint injuries, and also the potential for injuries to forwards because there is no "give" when the scrum is pushed into reverse.

Noticeably, there appear to be fewer resets, and a more expansive game is possible on an artificial pitch, but the injury situation is still under review.
Valhalla I am coming!
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

I believe some players with knee issues can't play on it, I think this is the case for Nowell at Exeter.
fentiger
Super User
Super User

Post by fentiger »

What is the pitch they have at Exeter? Is it a hybrid? That may well be the way forward, a pitch that holds up in all weather and plays consistently.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

grobyman wrote:6 tries on a plastic pitch rather than the bog fest that part of our pitch has become. Be interesting to get players views on which surface they prefer?
Obviously the 4g one allows for more expansion as evidenced by tries today.
Compared to 5 tries on a proper rugby pitch 3 weeks ago against scarlets
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

fentiger wrote:What is the pitch they have at Exeter? Is it a hybrid? That may well be the way forward, a pitch that holds up in all weather and plays consistently.
Exeter is the hybrid. It was layer this summer. Superb pitch.

Also surprised nobody mentioned the Millennium stadium for the England game. That was the new hybrid pitch laid last summer. What a massive difference compared to the usual bog.

But its a cost issue. A hybrid is a significant cost, but you don't lose the maintenance bill in the same way as a full artificial pitch.
fleabane
Super User
Super User

Post by fleabane »

But look how badly the pitch broke down at scrumtime in Cardiff.
Valhalla I am coming!
Sajerj
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Sajerj »

fleabane wrote:But look how badly the pitch broke down at scrumtime in Cardiff.
Do you mean in the Wales vs England game ? The pitch was absolutely superb at scrum time. Did not break up one little bit.

The entire playing surface was still in fantastic condition come the 80th minute.
fremen
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by fremen »

the pitch at the millennium was and is awesome , its growing so fast at the minute that they are having to cut it every day ,its all so a very firm pitch which makes for a quick running game and is very strong as seen by the lack of cutting up in the scrums

its well documented as to how much this cost but i would have said its a proper investment in the future of the stadium and would love Tigers to look at putting one in
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

fremen wrote:the pitch at the millennium was and is awesome , its growing so fast at the minute that they are having to cut it every day ,its all so a very firm pitch which makes for a quick running game and is very strong as seen by the lack of cutting up in the scrums

its well documented as to how much this cost but i would have said its a proper investment in the future of the stadium and would love Tigers to look at putting one in
Agree it is now a super pitch - just a pity it took so long to get to a decent state!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."