Why have players left Tigers?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

leic

Why have players left Tigers?

Post by leic »

Why have we let so many good players leave recently? And to make matters worse watch them play so well!! How did we let Ford go? just to name a few. Grumpy!
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Why?

Post by Doghashadhisday »

:smt015 :smt015
In the words of BJ do some searching and you will be enlightened!
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

George Ford decided not to re-sign a new contract as he demanded to play more regularly. We didn't let him go. Leicester offered him a new contract and he decided to reject it and sign with Bath instead.

Any other players that you want to know about?
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

What makes Tigers special is that the players and coaches stay because they want to stay; they buy into something ethereal and unquantifiable. If a player wants to go, let them go. They may, in the context of the new team, appear to be doing well but if we'd made prima donna's out of them, we'd have started the gradual erosion of the true fabric of our club and esprit de corps.
our team will (hopefully) always be more than the sum of its parts and achieve more than we have a right to achieve in the context of the resources at hand.
That's all.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Why have players left Tigers?

Post by RagingBull »

Not this again. :smt015

I like how you put to name a few and then just name Ford that is one.

Please list the good players who have left tigers and I will tell you.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Although every case is slightly different the underlying reason is usually something to do with lack of game time . From the outside it seems that Tigers Coaching staff seem to place too much emphasis on past performance rather than current form and the question of future potential seems to be somewhat ignored. Hopefully the new coaching team that is evolving will be a bit more forward looking.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

leic wrote:Why have we let so many good players leave recently? And to make matters worse watch them play so b...dy well!! How did we let Ford go? just to name a few. Grumpy!
I don't know about Grumpy but certainly not Happy, Doc, Sleepy, Sneezy or Bashful.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

Most Good players who are worth their salt will not hang around at a club waiting for a first XV or squad place. If the coach doesn't select them then they will look around for other opportunities. Of course we would like players to show their loyalty to a club like ardent fans do, but playing rugby is an addiction just like a drug. I felt rotten for a good year after I gave up playing at the age of 19 through work commitments. Unfortunately in those days i.e. the mid 1960's the game was amateur and you couldn't earn a living at it. These days players have to think of providing a good living for their family hence loyalty comes at a price.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

There's another thing to consider too, some players don't fit in to the team ethic and find another clubs methods more to their taste. It could also be that they just aren't the best we have, for example, at the time Toby Flood was better than George Ford. Now both of those chose to leave for differing reasons and we got Owen Williams, who for me shows as much promise as either of those.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

I am not in the camp saying we should not have let players go, but you have to accept that GF is playing brilliantly at the moment, he is small, in the CH mould, he can side step and offload beautifully and his kicking seems to be good enough not to have to include OF in the England team.

OW is taller, similar to OF, he does not have a side step, he is good solid FH, but not in the classical Welsh sidestepping mould.
drc_007
Super User
Super User

Post by drc_007 »

George Ford wanted to be with his Dad at Bath. Nothing Tigers could do about that.
Hinckley Bob
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Hinckley Bob »

Noddy555 wrote:Most Good players who are worth their salt will not hang around at a club waiting for a first XV or squad place. If the coach doesn't select them then they will look around for other opportunities. Of course we would like players to show their loyalty to a club like ardent fans do, but playing rugby is an addiction just like a drug. I felt rotten for a good year after I gave up playing at the age of 19 through work commitments. Unfortunately in those days i.e. the mid 1960's the game was amateur and you couldn't earn a living at it. These days players have to think of providing a good living for their family hence loyalty comes at a price.
Tigers have always operated on the principle that the best player gets the shirt, rather than the one that complains the most. Most buy into the ethos when they play for Tigers but a few think they deserve special treatment. Dan Cole referred recently to having to get past Castro and Whitey but it did not deter him and doubtless improved his game in getting there.
TigerCam
Super User
Super User

Post by TigerCam »

drc_007 wrote:George Ford wanted to be with his Dad at Bath. Nothing Tigers could do about that.
really?
Whoever said "one person cannot change the world' never ate undercooked bat
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

This has been debated ad nauseam on here, but Ford was way behind Toby when he was here, and didn't show the form he has shown at Bath. Some you win, some you lose. Hindsight is a wonderful thing. I can't think of any other player who has moved and looked better.
LE18
Super User
Super User

Post by LE18 »

Will greenwood?