Tigers V Wasps, Post match.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bunchy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Tigers V Wasps, Post match.

Post by Bunchy »

For those wanting some positives from today, I have some.
* Game time for Youngs - he will be all the better for his 50ish mins today
* Harrisons impact from the bench - great to have him fit but doubt he will get a game next week unless Mele's injury is worse than it seems
* Pearce game time - he looked tired fairly quickly but has had precious little game time, so again he will be all the better for it
* 2 very strong front rows that earned some points for OW. Being able to swap front rows after an hour with no let up in quality for the first time this season is great news
* 4 points !! They are no mugs and we have no "right" to win games as some on here think.

There are negatives and our DoR was honest about them after the game - 5th in the league and playing poorly - many would swap that.
Less is more....
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Hard to evaluate the recent performances (including yesterday)…

You could go down the no losses in 3 and level on points for 4th place route or take the no tries in two home games and only 4 against lowly Welsh.

As much as people are being positive about Pearce, I'm not sure at this stage. Needs to lose some weight IMO and get his fitness levels up. But he is a prospect… The lack of penetration is the main worry for me. OK Benjamin should have scored (or maybe he did!) but I can't remember any other 'chances' created. And I don't think we had the ball in Saracens 22 all game the other week.

Next 5 weeks are the acid test. I expect us to raise our game against Toulon but honestly can't see us matching them over 80 mins. Then come Saints (away), Sale (away) and Bath (home). We will know by then if recent games have built a platform for success or papered over the cracks...
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
sapajo wrote:160 home minutes of Rugby without even a try :smt011
Including the Welsh and Sale matches, it's now 254 minutes of rugby without a try from the backs.
Pretty sure you didn't watch the Sale game then.

Benjamin scored 2 and Smith scored 1.

I don't understand this Harrison agenda people think cockers has.

Harrison missed the last 2 weeks with injury, it's hard to add a non regular starter straight into the starting team if he has been injured for 2 weeks.

MrPartridge the trouble with Pearce ATM is people are hyping him up to much now, he is a project player who has only just started playing union and isn't use to this level of it, he is imo a 2/3 season project. The odd start here and there in some games mainly LV cup with Milne this season. Fitness can be built up but he has got something about him esp in his cameos where he is fresher he looks for the gaps attacks it and then looks for the offload. He is more of an impact player ATM than a starter.

As said Defense is key if we can keep Toulon to a 6 point game by Half time I don't worry to much Williams has the ability to kick from anywhere and Salvi has the ability to win penalties. But if Toulon get an early score it may turn ugly.

Parling being back should be a big gain as we need more leaders on the pitch atm.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

MrPartridge the trouble with Pearce ATM is people are hyping him up to much now, he is a project player who has only just started playing union and isn't use to this level of it, he is imo a 2/3 season project. The odd start here and there in some games mainly LV cup with Milne this season. Fitness can be built up but he has got something about him esp in his cameos where he is fresher he looks for the gaps attacks it and then looks for the offload. He is more of an impact player ATM than a starter.
I couldn't agree more with you.
But if Toulon get an early score it may turn ugly.
Ditto… but we have to hope...
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

RagingBull wrote:
InGuinnessVeritas wrote:Including the Welsh and Sale matches, it's now 254 minutes of rugby without a try from the backs.
Pretty sure you didn't watch the Sale game then. Benjamin scored 2 and Smith scored 1.
The final try in the Sale match was scored in the 66th minute by Miles Benjamin. So, by applying simple mathematics and adding the remaining 14 minutes of this match to the 80 against Saracens, 80 against London Welsh (in which all 4 tries were scored by forwards) and the 80 yesterday against Wasps, as mentioned above, it has been 254 minutes of rugby without a try being scored by one of our backs.

FYI, I was at the Sale match.
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
RagingBull wrote:
InGuinnessVeritas wrote:Including the Welsh and Sale matches, it's now 254 minutes of rugby without a try from the backs.
Pretty sure you didn't watch the Sale game then. Benjamin scored 2 and Smith scored 1.
The final try in the Sale match was scored in the 66th minute by Miles Benjamin. So, by applying simple mathematics and adding the remaining 14 minutes of this match to the 80 against Saracens, 80 against London Welsh (in which all 4 tries were scored by forwards) and the 80 yesterday against Wasps, as mentioned above, it has been 254 minutes of rugby without a try being scored by one of our backs.

FYI, I was at the Sale match.
:smt045 brilliant response
RugbyTiger
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by RugbyTiger »

We were there at the match and Tigers were lucky to win. No try at Welford Road from them ? When was the last time that it happened ? Wasps defence was brilliant, Tigers was poor - how the heck did Wasps score that try so quickly in the 2nd half - had Tigers had a nap in the break and not woke up properly ?

We were disappointed with the game but yet again when we were at Welford Road Tigers won like they have every time we go.
Carole

A REAL RUGBY TIGER IN MORE WAYS THAN ONE !!

ALSO KNOWN AS DORCAS - PART OF THE MOTHERS GANG SO WATCH OUT LADS !!
northerntiger
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by northerntiger »

RugbyTiger wrote:We were there at the match and Tigers were lucky to win. No try at Welford Road from them ? When was the last time that it happened ? Wasps defence was brilliant, Tigers was poor - how the heck did Wasps score that try so quickly in the 2nd half - had Tigers had a nap in the break and not woke up properly ?

We were disappointed with the game but yet again when we were at Welford Road Tigers won like they have every time we go.

I thought the defence was good. Wasps never looked like scoring until one howling error gave them a try. They never looked like scoring afterwards either.

Sadly, neither did we
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

RugbyTiger wrote:No try at Welford Road from them ? When was the last time that it happened ?
Two weeks Ago against SArries........
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Bundy

Post by Bundy »

WhitecapTiger wrote:
RugbyTiger wrote:No try at Welford Road from them ? When was the last time that it happened ?
Two weeks Ago against SArries........
Wonder what the odd are on us scoring one next week??!!
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

northerntiger wrote:
RugbyTiger wrote:We were there at the match and Tigers were lucky to win. No try at Welford Road from them ? When was the last time that it happened ? Wasps defence was brilliant, Tigers was poor - how the heck did Wasps score that try so quickly in the 2nd half - had Tigers had a nap in the break and not woke up properly ?

I thought the defence was good. Wasps never looked like scoring until one howling error gave them a try. They never looked like scoring afterwards either.

Sadly, neither did we
Careful there Northern. You may be accused of talking common sense :smt016

I was at the game and from a 'jOE bLOGGS' perspective, my irrelevant opinions are these:

Mat Tait has previously been an outside centre; move him back there till Sir Manu returns.
(I know he has been good under the high ball; but still...)

Move Nikki back to the wing where he is most comfortable.
(I felt he ran some lovely angles from OC last season; but not so much now.)

Presuming he is not carrying a knock; put Tommy Bell @ FB. That's what he was brought in for and so far, his performances have been v. promising.
(Certainly till Niall has recovered.)

Last, but not least; it's almost Winter: I don't expect a glut of tries. It's slow, muddy and cold.
I do feel however, that our 1st team back-play is static.
Our young contingent were incredible in the 2nd half v. Sale; feisty & inventive. It was an uplifting 40 mins. of rugby and Mr Harrison has been a star every time he has pulled on the no.9 jersey just recently.
Let him start next week and see what happens.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Maximus66 wrote:[

Careful there Northern. You may be accused of talking common sense :smt016

I was at the game and from a 'jOE bLOGGS' perspective, my irrelevant opinions are these:

Mat Tait has previously been an outside centre; move him back there till Sir Manu returns.
(I know he has been good under the high ball; but still...)

Move Nikki back to the wing where he is most comfortable.
(I felt he ran some lovely angles from OC last season; but not so much now.)

Presuming he is not carrying a knock; put Tommy Bell @ FB. That's what he was brought in for and so far, his performances have been v. promising.
(Certainly till Niall has recovered.)

Last, but not least; it's almost Winter: I don't expect a glut of tries. It's slow, muddy and cold.
I do feel however, that our 1st team back-play is static.
Our young contingent were incredible in the 2nd half v. Sale; feisty & inventive. It was an uplifting 40 mins. of rugby and Mr Harrison has been a star every time he has pulled on the no.9 jersey just recently.
Let him start next week and see what happens.
Couple of points, Bell won't play for the next couple of games because he is not registered and we will have our captain and current England scrum half playing at 9.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

ellis9 wrote:There was a fantastic interview with Richard Cockerill on Radio Leicester after the game.

He basically said that some individuals need to take a look at themselves as they are not turning up. This also backs up what Thorn said about some players after the Scarlets game where some players went missing.

I don't think there is a more honest, down to Earth coach in Rugby or sport than Cockerill. When he asked if there were any positives to take out of todays game he said, Owen Williams kicking but that's it, there were no others, 20,000 people could see that today.
I will suggest another take on the Cockerill interview - were they the words of a coach who has lost the dressing room? 4 years in charge of setting out a vision on how Tigers play. All I can see are talented players who have no idea on how Tigers play other than 'crash bang wallop'!
ourla
Super User
Super User

Post by ourla »

bc wrote:
ellis9 wrote:There was a fantastic interview with Richard Cockerill on Radio Leicester after the game.

He basically said that some individuals need to take a look at themselves as they are not turning up. This also backs up what Thorn said about some players after the Scarlets game where some players went missing.

I don't think there is a more honest, down to Earth coach in Rugby or sport than Cockerill. When he asked if there were any positives to take out of todays game he said, Owen Williams kicking but that's it, there were no others, 20,000 people could see that today.
I will suggest another take on the Cockerill interview - were they the words of a coach who has lost the dressing room? 4 years in charge of setting out a vision on how Tigers play. All I can see are talented players who have no idea on how Tigers play other than 'crash bang wallop'!
I've just listened to the interview in it's entirety. I can understand why you might cast that aspertion. But I don't buy it. If it wasn't known to you already it has come across clearly over the last 2-3 weeks how little influence he has over tactical play of the backs and that there has been a relative coaching failure in that area (hence a coach sacked and a new coach hired for next season). However, there is plenty of experience in that backline and some of the basic errors we have seen is not down to coaching. Or at least if it is, in a very subtle way.

Our inconsistency means it's impossible to predict week to week how we are going to perform. Which of course, is in itself a problem.

Ben Youngs back next week and has tb said will start and captain the team. That has to be a good thing.
Maximus66

Post by Maximus66 »

I would expect Ben to start against Toulon; he is our current (available) captain and 1st choice SH.
I just feel that every time Harrison has come onto the pitch, he has given us a much needed injection of impetus.