Tigers V Wasps, Post match.

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Tigers V Wasps, Post match.

Post by Big Dai »

Sounded a grim affair? A win is a win, but it sounded iffy? Tait did well under the high ball? Mele went AWOL after charge down?

Looking forward to the comments!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Re: Tigers V Wasps, Post match.

Post by RagingBull »

Pearce sounded Raw which isn't a surpise, he has been playing Union for a season hasn't he. Always a project player.

Feel that Smith may be 13 for Toulon will help in defence.

The radio Leicester commentators are grimm full stop.

Currently 4th place. Hopefully Exeter will do us a favour.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

Very close game. Not much in it at all. Not much happening for either side.

Going to be very hard next week, but with our defence holding up well, and Owen's boot, we have a shot.
Spicer
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Spicer »

I don't expect to see the same 15 against Toulon.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Think Mélé became subdued after a shoulder or arm injury in the first half, the charge down was one of those things i guess but immediately after halftime it was a huge blow.

Tait was, IMO, imperious under the high ball but less so when running it back. Previously you'd see him hoist a garryowen to chase but i can't recall a single one from him today, maybe playing to tactics but the choice to run into wasps' defenders everytime just didn't work.

I was underwhelmed by Pearce if honest, defence seemed to nail him down pretty quickly when he carried and he has a lot to learn at the base of the scrum imo. Having said that it's early doors for him and i'm sure he'll come good.

It was a pretty poor performance to be fair, lots of hoofing the ball to the wasps back three, note not really into space again, and if we reproduce that level of (non) intensity and couple it with an apparent inability for the backs to string together a convincing running move next week Toulon will embarrass us. Although i think we'll see a different 15 next week. Maybe we had one eye on that match, if we did it nearly cost us a win today.

I would question the ref's decision surrounding the Benjamin try (or not), ok so maybe he didn't ground it clearly enough but Varndell's 'tackle' was around Miles' neck imo, argument for yellow card. I've seen better tackles adjugded high and yellow cards produced.
Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

From the infield angle, it looked to me like Miles got a grounding.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Take a bow Mr Williams you were our only hope of securing any points and you did not let us down :smt023 Mele played another Howler our back play goes from bad to worse it is now become comical, not helped by Anthony Allen's unwillingness to pass the ball. Scrum went well unlike our rolling maul,despite the best efforts of Wasps to wheel and collapse the scrum and their dubious tactics to disrupt our line out. 4 points is a massive positive but I fear a drubbing at the hands of Toulon on current form and I cannot remember when we ever failed to score any tries in two successive home games? Happy days onwards and upwards :smt001
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Darc Tiger wrote:From the infield angle, it looked to me like Miles got a grounding.
Looked the same to me from the replay, but I can understand why it wasn't given (not that I agree) seen some given some not. But, there remains no excuse, IMO, why Varndell wasn't penalised and yellow carded - based on previous yellow card instances e.g. Samoan tackle on Ford for England last week was lower. Argument for penalty try even, last man with line beckoning. If Varndell had hit legally then Miles scores, that much I believe unreservedly.
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

We were poor and the returnees didn't improve our performance .Front row struggled ,lineout good again , backs completely anonymous in attack as usual. Tait was good in defence as were the rest , but in attack we are completely devoid of ambition. I disagree about Pearce , he made a few handling errors but carried well and given a decent run in the side he will improve - better than Crane already ! .Things brightened up when Harrison came on - mele just not sharp/quick enough again - just what has Harrison done to upset Cockerill ?
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

mike wrote: I disagree about Pearce , he made a few handling errors but carried well and given a decent run in the side he will improve - better than Crane already !
Don't think he was 'bad' as such, apart from when needing to pick up at the base of the scrum, just maybe not as 'effective' going forward as I'd thought he would be following his other cameos.

Did some good work in defence.

The only time he did pick up well at a breaking up scrum, the ref looked as if he was about to award us a penalty (arm started coming out and whistle was lips bound) but he didn't and played advantage as our Pearce had picked up, he was then stripped of the ball, no return to the penalty from the ref and we were under pressure.

He will come good and did look more aggressive carrying than Crane, but on that performance alone, Crane is ahead in the control at the base of the scrum dept, IMO. Plenty of time to improve though.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

mike wrote:We were poor and the returnees didn't improve our performance .Front row struggled ,lineout good again , backs completely anonymous in attack as usual. Tait was good in defence as were the rest , but in attack we are completely devoid of ambition. I disagree about Pearce , he made a few handling errors but carried well and given a decent run in the side he will improve - better than Crane already ! .Things brightened up when Harrison came on - mele just not sharp/quick enough again - just what has Harrison done to upset Cockerill ?
Front row struggled? Eh?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

4th now exe beat sarries and denied them a LBP.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

RagingBull wrote:4th now exe beat sarries and denied them a LBP.
O
Down in 5th level on points with Saracens!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Oh yeh didn't see that.

Oh well nearly.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Didn't get to the game but it didn't sound like a great performance. We've got Toulon next and if we don't up our game we will struggle. I'm not sure if he will be back but Giteau hasn't played recently and he didn't play today vs Clermont. Halfpenny was also icing his leg after the game today so hopefully they're both out as that will help us no end.