Paul Burke

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

G.K
Super User
Super User

Re: Paul Burke

Post by G.K »

mike wrote:I always worry when I hear that someone lower down the ladder has been removed for under achieving . Burke has worked with Cockerill for a few years and if only now Cockerill thinks he is doing a poor job then some questions need to be asked. There is a lot more wrong at the moment than just the performance of the back line - more fundamental problems are recruitment policy, player development from Academy to Ist Team and the old fashioned playing strategy/style which our D.O.R continues to promote .
Just about hits the nail on the head.
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

These are just guesses as to what has occurred. The fact that Cockers '...can't say more for legal reasons...' suggest he was pushed rather than going of his own accord but other than that we have no idea what has gone on behind closed doors.

For my part I believe the record of the tigers suggest that the management team have got a lot more right than they have wrong and as such I am happy to go with the judgement of those who do know the facts.
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

Why do we need a kicking coach? Once you know how to kick you need to practice. In a match you need to link your feet to your eyes and brain.
Good luck Paul Burke and thank you. I guess that you are taking the gflack for the start of this season and Freddie Burns.
covrich

Post by covrich »

Isambard wrote:Why do we need a kicking coach? Once you know how to kick you need to practice..

It may vary from person but if you ever read like Wilkinson's Auto you will see how much he got out of Dave Alred even later on in his international career. Maybe it is just a case of improving technique and keeping bad habits out. I don't think it is a case of there you go you know how to do it.
retsilnai
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by retsilnai »

Just my two penny worth!!
I was a supporter when PB arrived and saw him as more of a makeweight than a saviour. His performance at 10, in my opinion , hardly ever surpassed dull, with little pace and less guile.
I was very surprised when he was made backs coach, unfortunately I have been less surprised with the resulting lack of any clear method in the backs play.
So, what do Tigers do?
It's obvious there is a issue with the backs.
The first place to look must be the backs coaching setup.
I wonder why we have apparently no adequate replacement centres in either the reserves or academy?
Why, in a club of our size do we play people out of position rather than give a youngster a go...are our youngsters not up to it any more. I recall Paul Dodge making his debut, barely out of nappies, more recently of course Manu, Ben....
Then there's the issue of young Harrison!! A scum half who is used as a centre/wing replacement. Whenever he has been asked to come on out of position, he's played out of his skin and certainly punched above his weight.....yet he never seems to get selected the following game, certainly not as scum half....perhaps during the AI's....
Is this the fault of the backs coaching setup?
Change the backs coaching set up....stop pretending that PB is the Messiah who will come good.
Does anyone seriously imagine that any replacement of RC would retain PB?
I don't doubt PB is a very nice bloke, but I don't think he has been badly done by, more that he didn't succeed.
Ian
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

GK Wrote

mike wrote:
I always worry when I hear that someone lower down the ladder has been removed for under achieving . Burke has worked with Cockerill for a few years and if only now Cockerill thinks he is doing a poor job then some questions need to be asked. There is a lot more wrong at the moment than just the performance of the back line - more fundamental problems are recruitment policy, player development from Academy to Ist Team and the old fashioned playing strategy/style which our D.O.R continues to promote .

Totally agree,
I repeat what I penned earlier and that is " does anyone seriously believe PB is the cause of the Malaise at Tigers"?

Was he responsible for policy, recruitment, academy, the forwards, fitness etc.

The blame is obvious, to even the most self deluded observer, that the fault lies further up the management structure.
A life long Tiger
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Smudge wrote:GK Wrote

mike wrote:
I always worry when I hear that someone lower down the ladder has been removed for under achieving . Burke has worked with Cockerill for a few years and if only now Cockerill thinks he is doing a poor job then some questions need to be asked. There is a lot more wrong at the moment than just the performance of the back line - more fundamental problems are recruitment policy, player development from Academy to Ist Team and the old fashioned playing strategy/style which our D.O.R continues to promote .

Totally agree,
I repeat what I penned earlier and that is " does anyone seriously believe PB is the cause of the Malaise at Tigers"?

Was he responsible for policy, recruitment, academy, the forwards, fitness etc.

The blame is obvious, to even the most self deluded observer, that the fault lies further up the management structure.
Paul took over last year from Matt O'Conner, so he has had one season in charge of the backs. It would seem he is now being replaced and that Geordan Murphy may be more involved in proceedings. I'm sure you will be attending the AGM tonight Smudge and I look forwards to hearing your account of what answers you get to your questions.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Let's just wait and see the official statements from the club which will be made when everything is sorted.

Burke has had a season and a bit as Backs coach so don't act like he been here for yars cockers should of had an idea about him by now.

And before he was appointed we had talks with Gibson and Mauger both said they weren't ready for it at the time, but were open to coming back in the future. But who else was there on the market at the time? wasn't much movement was there.

I honestly don't think the recruitment has gone downhill just the market is a lot tougher (money wise we are now where near the likes of Bath, Wasps, Sarries). you could say oh but look at how we replaced castro but we didn't signed castro like he was, buying top class props against the likes of Toulon, Racing etc etc is near impossible it just the way it is same goes with other areas.

It like the supporters that say they should be no cap, if that happens we would really struggle or go the Sarries bath route and sell.

People need to get their head out of their :censored: and stop acting like they have the slightest clue what really happens behind close doors at a club like us.

Same goes with the fitness comments as flood said in a interview last week Leicester fitness and medical staff is the best around even better than Toulouse's.
Snorbins
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Snorbins »

A couple or three weeks ago we had someone saying that they had heard that Murphy was leaving at the end of the season (or did I have too much chianti ruffino?). We have the makings of a good conspiracy theory here. I, for one, will enjoy the next few weeks if GM is going to coach the LV boys. As a full back I don't think you lose that ability to see the play.
Interesting to hear Sam Harrison on LTTV saying "refreshing the play book" during the LV.
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Think the Murphy might have been crossed wires TBH fissler said he hadn't heard anything about Murphy and he was the first to hear about Murphy.

We be interesting to see the LV game hopefully the lads will look to show off there attacking threats more.

If Murphy can do what he did to the sevens team to the LV cup team and Blake uses his League knowledge (watching some clips of him on youtube he was a damn fine league player)then hopefully it will be some good stuff on show.

No pressure as well on them.