Official history book has arrived

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

CJ
Gold Member
Gold Member

Official history book has arrived

Post by CJ »

Mine arrived yesterday and it is wonderful. Full,of superb information and a real trip down memory lane. Have just spent 45 minutes reading bits about the 100 cap club when I should have been working.

Worth getting if you have not already put in your order.

Congratulations all round for a brilliant piece of work
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Re: Official history book has arrived

Post by jgriffin »

Bought mine for Mrs G for Xmas, so hidden with other presents (her Robert Plant CDs and vinyl etc).
Strange how years of marriage diminishes the need for lingerie buying while increasing the size required when you do :smt005
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Dave J
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by Dave J »

According to Mrs Dave J the lady delivering it was panting with the execertion of carrying it up the stairs. A weighty tome indeed.
A citizen of hope and glory
jack
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by jack »

Already out of date - The Old Feller has shattered the record for Tigers oldest ever player!

Brilliant!
Tigers - true Champions!
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

In the good old days, season ticket holders used to get a hard back yearbook free. They were closely controlled at issue and you had to show your season ticket in order to get one. Then they went to soft back, still free to season ticket holders though and still controlled at issue. The next year they were just piled up in the The Final Whistle and elsewhere around the ground, for anybody to take. Now there is the Official History Book which you have to buy. I suppose some would call this progress, which it is in revenue generation terms but not in giving season ticket holders something special in return for their loyalty and "paid for in advance" contribution to the Club's coffers. This publication could have been part of the season ticket package.
BigChris

Post by BigChris »

AlphaWiseOwl wrote:In the good old days, season ticket holders used to get a hard back yearbook free. They were closely controlled at issue and you had to show your season ticket in order to get one. Then they went to soft back, still free to season ticket holders though and still controlled at issue. The next year they were just piled up in the The Final Whistle and elsewhere around the ground, for anybody to take. Now there is the Official History Book which you have to buy. I suppose some would call this progress, which it is in revenue generation terms but not in giving season ticket holders something special in return for their loyalty and "paid for in advance" contribution to the Club's coffers. This publication could have been part of the season ticket package.
Except this is not an annual yearbook, but a complete rework of the old history book. I for one dont mind the way this has been done - it will not be done again for some time, and is excellent quality. I think the comparison to the yearbook is unfair.

Also, my understanding is that "The book is being published with any profits benefiting the Rugby Development Foundation, a charitable organisation backing and supporting grassroots rugby"
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

I can't see why it should be gratis to season ticket holders. IIRC we have over 10,000 of those, yet in the back of the book, where it lists those who ordered early (it was very well publicised) there are only 1652 names (although a few are doubled up). In effect those 1652 people gauranteed the funding to produce it in the first place.

As mentioned above, this is no yearbook. The last edition was about 1990-1992ish from memory, and will cost an arm and a leg on eBay.

Finally, this book is very, very good. And who'd have thought both Jeremy Staunton and Ian Humphries hold club records... :smt003
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

A bit out I'm afraid. I have a 2004-5 Yearbook which I got signed by Martin Johnson. There were at least two more hard-backed versions after that before it went to soft back and then extinction.
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

AlphaWiseOwl wrote:A bit out I'm afraid. I have a 2004-5 Yearbook which I got signed by Martin Johnson. There were at least two more hard-backed versions after that before it went to soft back and then extinction.
I wasn't referring to the yearbook, but the previous edition of the book referred to in the topic, by Stuart Farmer and David Hands, which runs to 528 (very large) pages and was last produced in 1993.
InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Hurrah! My birthday present has finally arrived (my birthday is in May!) :smt026 :smt026 :smt026

p.s. It's the only time I'll see my name in a book about the Tigers.
tjs10
Super User
Super User

Post by tjs10 »

jack wrote:Already out of date - The Old Feller has shattered the record for Tigers oldest ever player!

Brilliant!
I don't think ANYONE will ever get beat Graham Willars' record!
Even if Cockers made a playing return vs Barbarians next month he wouldn't even be close.

As for the new history book, it is already my favourite reading material!
The recent yearbooks weren't a patch on this tome and even the old Tigers Tale book pales into insignificance compared to the significant volume of stats in this edition.

I am so delighted this book made it to print as I have been calling for an update for over a decade now (including me actually emailling Stuart Farmer on a number of occasions over the years to ask if he had any plans to bring it back!)

There are a few errors/ommissions in the book that I noticed but nothing major & probably only things that only another statto would have spotted!
Louis

Post by Louis »

My copy came through the other day (birthday present to self for November). I've read through it and it's a thing of beauty.
WiggoTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WiggoTiger »

Ordered three with names to be put in book in July and still no sign of them yet!! :smt013 :smt013
A TIGER TILL I DIE!!
Supporting since 1977 and proud of it!!
barnythebear

Post by barnythebear »

I had an email saying it would arrive today between 8am and 6pm, one minute past 8 isn't bad! On first look it's a worthy successor to a 'Tigers Tale'. Some new photos and a good layout. I'm looking forward to getting stuck into it when I have some time to devote to it.
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

I've only flicked through it so far but it a) definitely worth the money and b) worth the wait. Many thanks to the two authors/researchers/archivers.

Just on a 'flick through' basis - but the bit that caught my eye was the arbitrary picture of a league table ( not sure when from) in the intro section that shows Tigers at the top and Stains at the other end
:smt040 :smt040