The new signing so far. (the ones that have played)

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

RagingBull
Super User
Super User

The new signing so far. (the ones that have played)

Post by RagingBull »

Leo played out of his skin today and is looking very settle now after the birth of his child the other week, looks very good.
Thorn has brought much needed aggression and experience to the side.
Barbieri looks solid in defensive plays hasn't gotten much ball in attack yet.
Burns look better today growing in confidence with ball in hand but Goal Kicking is still a major issue.

(Pearce, Rizzo, bai and Loamanu need to see more of them to judge them really imo)

And finally Blake today we saw what he is bringing to the team first time in ages I have seen Leicester be that aggressive in defence just needs to work on communication when the teams changes position.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: The new signing so far. (the ones that have played)

Post by Darc Tiger »

Starting to fall into place. Defensively particularly we are lightyears ahead of where we were at the start of the season.

Leo is a fantastic back-up to Youngs. Now we have a little more of a platform, Burns should see more of the best of Burns, but unless he kicking form picks up, we have to go with Owen.

Hopefully we will get to see more of the others in the LV. Would love for Pearce to step up and give our backrow another dimension. Crane's work at the base crucial whilst we are looking a touch shaky however.
speedski
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by speedski »

I would clarify the Burns statement to say ALL kicking.

We are so potent in attack with ball in hand, against Ulster we were luck to keep the lead we built, constantly kicking the ball aimlessly back to them, and the kick-offs were atrocious.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

speedski: I agree we should have kept to the same tactics in the 2nd half as we did in the first.
Apart from the kickoffs far too long and deep.
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

speedski wrote:I would clarify the Burns statement to say ALL kicking.

We are so potent in attack with ball in hand, against Ulster we were luck to keep the lead we built, constantly kicking the ball aimlessly back to them, and the kick-offs were atrocious.
Personally burns has kicked better balls out of hands than worse. IMO this season.
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

I think we kick and chase better than we have done in many seasons, but we are kicking too much!
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Toby couldn't kick out of hand, so we have forgotten what a kicking fly half can do. Andy Goodes kicking to Tom Varndell to catch and fall over the line was often the difference between us winning and not. Burns and Owen Williams are both very exciting prospects going forwards. We have two really good options that will keep our opponents guessing. People have demanded a change in brand Tigers, well we are now seeing that come to bear fruits.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Ian Cant
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Ian Cant »

Have to agree with comments about Burns. He played his heart out so well done but he needs to take a look at a certain Andy Goode. He can vary kick offs and most of the time kick to touch. With Scully now one of the best at chasing surely we are missing a trick no to dink the odd kick off no more than 40 metres away. As for kicking for the posts- it has to be Williams and for me Williams has to play fly-half in major games-tackles-varies attack and can kick-off if told to vary it.
GREAT PERFORMANCE BY THE LADS THOUGH. CRANE,SALVI,GIBBO, AYERZA IMMENSE.
Crane is another Allen-as soon as he went off control went and forwards all over the place defensively!!
PS Old man Thorne was pretty good too for 50 minutes.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

In the minute he played as a replacement Pearce did nothing wrong.
wormus
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by wormus »

Stu_F wrote:In the minute he played as a replacement Pearce did nothing wrong.
If it's last nights Ulster game you refer to then Pearce was neither on the field or in the squad. Robert Barbieri (bunny hop)came on for Crane and did get stuck in to some good defensive play.
However Pearce has been on the field before and made some dynamic impacts.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

Don't blame Burns for KO's, Flood and Williams did exactly the same last season. I believe that this what they are told to do. Can't understand why but then I cannot understand some of the tactics that a team of talent are asked to deploy!
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

tigerburnie wrote:Toby couldn't kick out of hand, so we have forgotten what a kicking fly half can do.
Absolutely right.
I got poo poo'd for saying that was why he he should be well down the pecking order for England a couple of years ago.

A fly half has to be able to kick out of hand and take drop goals at top level. Flood didn't and fine player as he was for us we are better without him.
TigerLad
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TigerLad »

Ghiraldini is superb. His line out accuracy is almost perfect and he's a beast in the loose. The try he scored that was disallowed was a superb finish and his run over Payne was such a momentum builder for us. For me I think the best thing about him though is the fact that I don't think anyone has talked about us missing TY. Even when we were losing to Bath and Glaws I thought he was one of the bright sparks. I know it's not related but Balmain has stepped up in recent games. I think we will see a lot more of him even when Cole gets back. The boy will go far.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

TigerLad wrote:Ghiraldini is superb. His line out accuracy is almost perfect and he's a beast in the loose. The try he scored that was disallowed was a superb finish and his run over Payne was such a momentum builder for us. For me I think the best thing about him though is the fact that I don't think anyone has talked about us missing TY. Even when we were losing to Bath and Glaws I thought he was one of the bright sparks. I know it's not related but Balmain has stepped up in recent games. I think we will see a lot more of him even when Cole gets back. The boy will go far.
Agree - he has just one shortcoming in that he just doesn't seem to make any effort to hook the ball!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
Doghashadhisday
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Doghashadhisday »

DickyP wrote: Agree - he has just one shortcoming in that he just doesn't seem to make any effort to hook the ball!
What you mean just like Tom Youngs?