"A" team

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Diz01

Re: "A" team

Post by Diz01 »

It was 21-52 :smt009
Last edited by Diz01 on Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

21-52 home defeat does not bode well. That's an aggregate score of the 2 senior teams of 21-97!
Many other comments about lack of direction at coaching level in other threads.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

[quote="bc"]21-52 home defeat does not bode well. That's an aggregate score of the 2 senior teams of 21-97!
Many other comments about lack of direction at coaching level in other threads.[/quote]

Given that the A squad again consisted of mostly academy players and trialists how do you associate this performance with a lack of direction at coaching level?
Perhaps prompted by the number of injuries to the squad as a whole,it seems to me that this competition is being seen as an exercise in giving youngsters and potential new players a run out against more experienced teams. Pohe and Williams are the only 2 of the 23 to have any first team experience.
At least Pearce got 52 minutes on the pitch.
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Post by sam16111986 »

Given Worcester put out a far more experienced side this result was always likely. Slight baptism of fire for the young academy players but hopefully they'll learn quickly.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

how did pearce play?
cheers
Rich
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

Rykard wrote:how did pearce play?
From what my brother said:

"He is big and is very very quick for someone of his size.

Lacks match fitness which is to be expected since he has been out since Feb.

but was well covered in the tackles out in the middle (where he was used).

Typical league player though Quick big ball runner, looks for the offload and looks for the big hits."

by the sounds of it given time I think we could have something on our hands here.

Also said Bryant and Beckett look ones for the future.
tigertone
Tiger Cub

Post by tigertone »

I don't think too much importance should be placed on the score. This was a scratch Tigers team made up of academy and some loaned players who did not seem to have been introduced to each other. An experienced Worcester side ran riot in the first half, taking advantage of the lack of organisation in the Tigers ranks. What was encouraging was the spirited fight back by the young Tigers team after half time. They dominated the second half,outscoring Worcester by two tries to one, with the visitors' score coming seconds before the final whistle.
Given the way the game went, it was hard for individual Tigers players to impress, although Pearce looked a good prospect, carrying well and making some neat offloads. I also liked the look of the replacement scrum half (Bravo?) who looked sharp while he was on, although he did not come on until late in the game.
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

RagingBull wrote:
Rykard wrote:how did pearce play?
From what my brother said:

"He is big and is very very quick for someone of his size.

Lacks match fitness which is to be expected since he has been out since Feb.

but was well covered in the tackles out in the middle (where he was used).

Typical league player though Quick big ball runner, looks for the offload and looks for the big hits."

by the sounds of it given time I think we could have something on our hands here.

Also said Bryant and Beckett look ones for the future.
As was said hes big and loves a tackle !
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

well we could do with him after Saturdays debacle...
cheers
Rich
bc
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by bc »

MurphysLaw wrote:
bc wrote:21-52 home defeat does not bode well. That's an aggregate score of the 2 senior teams of 21-97!
Many other comments about lack of direction at coaching level in other threads.
Given that the A squad again consisted of mostly academy players and trialists how do you associate this performance with a lack of direction at coaching level?
Perhaps prompted by the number of injuries to the squad as a whole,it seems to me that this competition is being seen as an exercise in giving youngsters and potential new players a run out against more experienced teams. Pohe and Williams are the only 2 of the 23 to have any first team experience.
At least Pearce got 52 minutes on the pitch.
How many of the Saracens side that came to Welford Road last season did you recognise - they were all 2nd and Academy. Alright they lost but it was to Tigers 1st team squad and they were certainly not disgraced.
I am sorry but our coaching structure is poor (defence excepted considering he has been in the role for 2 weeks). Tigers have always prided themselves in attracting the best they can and they have the players but the coaching staff don't stand comparison with Bath, Saints, Quins and Saracens. I will reserve judgement on Gloucester.
MurphysLaw
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MurphysLaw »

I don't see any relevance to this thread from the league game against Saracens last year.
This was a scratch team consisting of mainly academy players, augmented by loanees and only 2 senior squad players - 1 who has very little first team experience, the other who was making his debut for the club after returning from a serious long term injury. How can anyone can possibly make any judgement about the coaching direction of the club from that?

p.s. on another thread you will see that Bath, (one of your cited clubs) had to scratch their A game owing to a lack of players. Is their coaching structure lacking too?

Not that it's relevant, but to indulge you - that Saracens squad you refer to did have some youngsters, but also included many players I would recognise including; Tagicakibau, Taylor, Hodgson, Gill, George, Du Plessis, Melck, Fenton-Wells, Barrington, Johnston, Mordt, Tomkins and De Kock.
Last edited by MurphysLaw on Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

RagingBull wrote: by the sounds of it given time I think we could have something on our hands here.
What, yet another injury? Sounds likely if he puts himself about a bit in a Tigers shirt.
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Apparently not available for Saturday, despite our horrendous injury situation.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

Perhaps he needs to learn how to clean Cocker's car. :smt003
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
mobiuus

Post by mobiuus »

Hi, just to clarify about Pearce, he was at Hull fc,playing league for a couple of seasons but played only union prior to that.