Super User
Super User

Re: Armitage

Post by jgriffin »

Give up mate, you're batting your head against a brick wall. :smt015
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

amazing tiger wrote:this may cours a lot of controversy on the forum but how can armitage play for france when he has 5 caps for england. the olympics rules are coming into rugby union its just not right. so anyone could play for any country if they werent caped for 18 months and had played their for 36 months. would like to hear your thoughts on it.
What makes this even more controversial is that - as I understand it - the Olympic rules apply to sevens players only, because that's the Olympic sport. But, this then creates a loophole for 15 a side players to switch their country of representation PROVIDED they continue to "make themselves available to play sevens"...and that all applications will be vetted to ensure this is not a switch of convenience.
If that were true, then most of those 10 soon to be french players, for example, would not get approved to play for France (or am I being naive again?)
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

Jay C wrote:What makes this even more controversial is that - as I understand it - the Olympic rules apply to sevens players only, because that's the Olympic sport. But, this then creates a loophole for 15 a side players to switch their country of representation PROVIDED they continue to "make themselves available to play sevens"...and that all applications will be vetted to ensure this is not a switch of convenience.
If that were true, then most of those 10 soon to be french players, for example, would not get approved to play for France (or am I being naive again?)
players making themselves available to play 7s isn't the same as them being picked by the 7s coach
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

Changing country is a ridiculous concept.

Country of birth is different. In Britain that could just reflect where the local maternity unit was relative to the border! Or if your parents were working overseas or in the forces at the time of your birth.

However once you choose which country that should be final.

Brining it back to Steffon Armitage - did he not spend a good part of his youth growing up in France so he has more than his current affiliations to the country, although for me, he should not be eligible for France as he has played as a senior for England. I think he felt that he was not in the mix for England selection when he left, so why not chase the money. Playing in France seems to have made him a better player. Mind you most players seem better when they leave London Irish!

Why Lancaster is so reluctant to select France based players is simply beyond me. Surely you pick the best side for the type of game you wish to play (which may mean that some players who are notionally the better individual may miss out) and then pick your captain. If you can't find one leader in your starting 15 then it's a poor state of affairs.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

For H's Dad. I do not despise any rugby player who is proud of playing for their country as well as the tigers,nor am I racist which your post seemed to imply. I spent over 25 years in the travel trade and believe me I wouldn't have lasted 2 weeks if I were racist. All I am saying that under English Law the age of Majority is 18. Once above that you are legally considered to be an adult and as an adult you have to stand by the decisions you make. I myself
have always put family & friends above nationality of any kind. I've never felt British and I have beeb ashamed at times to call myself English particularly when the yobbos and Lager louts were around in the 1970's. I'm very proud to be a Lancashire Lad. I find your post most insulting and you really need to think about what you write.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Noddy, I’m not sure where you get this from. Racism did not come into my head at all, either with regard to yourself or the originator of the quote (who has been accused of racist overtones but I consider just a product of his time).

I consider myself English and British – it is a privilege and, as you point out, sometimes also a cross. I do have friends and family from other nations but don’t think I’ve ever had a conflict between friends and family and country.

I think you must be wearing your flat cap too tight. If it's all right with you we'd better drop this diversion before we get into trouble with somebody.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by 1966 »

Best of luck to the lad ... if England do not want him and he has the chance to represent the country where he is living.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

h's dad wrote:Noddy, I’m not sure where you get this from. Racism did not come into my head at all, either with regard to yourself or the originator of the quote (who has been accused of racist overtones but I consider just a product of his time).

I consider myself English and British – it is a privilege and, as you point out, sometimes also a cross. I do have friends and family from other nations but don’t think I’ve ever had a conflict between friends and family and country.

I think you must be wearing your flat cap too tight. If it's all right with you we'd better drop this diversion before we get into trouble with somebody.
I was born in Manchester and have no flat cap, whippet's dead and eaten, can't stand the foreigners south of Stockport.....funny bunch from Lancashire (as was before they invented Greater Manchester).
What with the Sweaties getting agitated you'd think the sun was setting on the Empire :smt022
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

h's dad well hopefully at least after tomorrow you might rethink your britishness and I entireley agree with J Griffin your concept of lancashire folk is way off the mark, I think you must be thinking about the Yorkists, they do wear flat caps and run whippets, we in lancashire prefer greyhounds.
The Boy Dave
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by The Boy Dave »

ashamed at times to call myself English particularly when the yobbos and Lager louts were around
It is the same the world over, not just in England.
A capital letter for lager, now you are giving too much away!

Fair play to Armitage if he wants to represent France, he would be an excellent 7's player also so if that route is possible then fair enough. Rugby is often about finding a home where you are loved that brings the best out of people and Armitage seems to have found this playing for Toulon in France. He lived in France before as a youngster I think so the connection is strong. He has a small amount of England caps but he is not wanted and was never really backed with confidence so why stand in his way!
Cheery chappy
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Noddy555 wrote:h's dad well hopefully at least after tomorrow you might rethink your britishness and I entireley agree with J Griffin your concept of lancashire folk is way off the mark, I think you must be thinking about the Yorkists, they do wear flat caps and run whippets, we in lancashire prefer greyhounds.
You'll have to forgive me if I'm a little loose with borders. H's mum is from Altrincham which she asserts is Cheshire but I say seems to be in Manchester.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

Altrincham was where the posh Southerners lived when I was a lad growing up in Oldham.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

Are any of these recent locations in Trinidad & Tobago :smt017

'Cos I thought this thread was primarily about Steffon Armitage and/or rule changes that will make it easier for a player to switch their representative country :smt017
mikefro

Post by mikefro »

will Floody ever play for France?
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

Best of luck to the lad ... if England do not want him and he has the chance to represent the country where he is living.
It's nothing to do with England not wanting him. The rule is if you play outside of England you will not play for England unless in extreme circumstances.

He chose not to play for his country by opting to play in France. That's his decision, fair enough.

I don't understand why he would want to play for France anyway. I would never want to play for any other country but England and that would be the case if I had played for England before hand or not. If he chooses to play for France then that's up to him.