Barf at the wreck

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Barf at the wreck

Post by tigerburnie »

Interesting to see if there's any squad rotation for this game, I would like to see Owen Williams get a start soon, whether it's this game , not sure.With Louis Deacon crocked we are limited to lock options and if Tom Croft is still not 100% the back row changes are probably limited to who starts at 8.Front row options are at the moment probably down to the 2 shirt only.
The back line could be changed, but not sure away at the wreck is the place to be too experimental. Maybe the Not Nots at home might see a different starting line up, pity the "A" league game was cancelled as that stopped players from getting a chance to put their marker down, but with the amount of players out, understandable really.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
PM76
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: Barf at the wreck

Post by PM76 »

The only change I would make is Crane to start ahead of Barbieri at 8, due to Jordan’s superior control at the base of the scrum, which could be particularly important as it is possible the scrum will struggle to gain parity against a strong set of Bath props. If Croft is fit I’d like to see him on the bench as Gibson has been one of the side’s strongest performers over the last year and Tom will certainly provide an impact from the bench against tired legs. Which gives a side of:

Logo, Youngs, Balmain
Kitchener, Parling
Gibson, Crane, Salvi
Youngs (C), Burns
Allen, Manu
Goneva, Tait, Morris

I agree that the Rec isn’t the best place for rotation but I think the following week vs. Irish is the perfect opportunity to rest/ rotate some of the squad ahead of the trip to Kingsholm, Quins at home and then Europe. Cockers could pick a XV of:

Logo, Ghiraldini, Balmain
De Chaves, Parling (C)
Croft, Barbieri, Gibson
Mele, Williams
Bai, Loamanu
Smith, Tait, Scully

which, IMO, would be strong enough to get 4 points vs. Irish and would allow the majority of the squad to have missed one of the first four games, other than the props. That side could well get the TBP vs. Irish too when you consider that Tigers could bring the Youngs brothers, Kitchener, Crane, Burns, Manu etc. off the bench. I would be amazed if Cockers makes that many changes for Irish but it could happen!

Returning to this weekend, I think it will be tough for Tigers to get the 4 points but if Phil Blake can address some of the defensive issues this week then a battling display could see us sneak it- especially with only Benjamin missing from a first-choice backline IMO. A lot depends on Fraser and Logo, if they can match Wilson and James then I would make Tigers favourites, given that Kitchener, Parling and Gibson/ Croft should be able to win the lineout “battle” and that Tigers should have the better of the back-rows.

Oh, and Burns vs. Ford will be very interesting :smt027 :smt027 :smt027
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

I would be tempted to give Burns a rest as he took, what looked like, a hefty knock to his shoulder on Saturday.

Bring Williams in and Bai as cover on the bench.
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

IMO Williams, let alone Burns, is good enough to eclipse Ford. And I agree defence is the key. Remember we know Ford is only dangerous on the front foot, and a liability when not. We can upset the applecart with driving defence and sending Mulipola down whatever channel they hide Ford in.
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
WhitecapTiger
Super User
Super User

Post by WhitecapTiger »

Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

J Griffin wrote :-
IMO Williams, let alone Burns, is good enough to eclipse Ford. And I agree defence is the key. Remember we know Ford is only dangerous on the front foot, and a liability when not. We can upset the applecart with driving defence and sending Mulipola down whatever channel they hide Ford in.
That's a bit harsh! Liability? Come off it. He's a damn good player and I for one wish he was still a Tiger.

I agree that the dual against Burns will be interesting.
A life long Tiger
GS
Super User
Super User

Post by GS »

A bit harsh maybe but he made it quite clear that he didn't want to play for the Tigers. In his last season he had chances to show how good he was but didn't. Not even in his last game for us at Twickenham. I said at the time that I thought he'd peaked and wasn't going to make it, based on his lack of spark when given the chance.

Obviously he wanted to be with daddy who would make sure he got the chances without having to wait or fight for them. Not too dissimilar to the Fazlet who now can't get a start a Sarries now but no doubt will for England with daddy. He's gone and good luck to him but I think he's shown a lack of character and a touch of prima donna. Sale appear to have cured Cips but I don't think Bath will with Ford. Mind you I've been wrong before.

As for the game on Saturday the front row will really have to be on top form. Even so, as Cockers has admitted, we aren't the finished fully functioning product yet and I can't help but think that that will hurt us. Who knows, this might be when they do start to really gel and show what they can do. :smt023
Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I agree that our front row isn't our first choice at present, but I see lots of promise with the three young props in the squad. Indeed where ever you look there is a lot of depth and promise, I don't expect the side to be "gelling" just yet, way too early in the season to be "peaking". I do however see a lot of that old Tigers "dog" in this side and I expect them to leave nothing in the dressing room. This may not be pretty to watch, but I expect Tigers to rattle the very bones of the folk down at the Wreck.The home side will be favourite to win and I expect us to be close and in their faces, now does their pack and key playmaker have what it takes to face that onslaught , well we will see at the weekend.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

tigerburnie wrote:...The home side will be favourite to win ...
What’s the difference between Bath last week and Bath this week that makes a side that shipped four tries at home to, at best, relegation dog fighters last week favourites against Tigers? Especially when Tigers have just turned over the side that nilled the relegation strugglers and racked up a similar score to Bath. It’s not often I’m this optimistic about Bath away but this season I’m now looking for a five pointer.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

Been thinking about our line up for the game. I really do think that Manu could do with a bit of time out from the starting 15, I would also bring in Croft, harse on Gibson though. I would also give scully a run out on the wing.
My starting 15 would be:

15 Tait
14 Scully
13 Bai
12 Allen
11 Goneva
10 Burns
9 Youngs
8 Crane
7 Salvi
6 Croft
5 Parling
4 Kitchener
3 Balmain
2 Youngs
1 Mulipova

I think the guys I have left out from last weeks starting 15 would give a different dimention from the bench, any thoughts .......?
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

is bai big enough? he was saying it was tougher over here than in France..
cheers
Rich
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

Just seems to me he has a rugby "brain" breaks tackles, hits hard, I for one would like to see him have 50-60 minutes
Iain
Super User
Super User

Post by Iain »

Referee is a Mr W Barnes of Gloucestershire. Anyone know anything about him...?

EDIT: I see this has been mentioned.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Iain wrote:Referee is a Mr W Barnes of Gloucestershire. Anyone know anything about him...?

EDIT: I see this has been mentioned.
Nobody knows anything about him, and at the same time he doesnt know anything either.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

Mr Barnes exists is a state of bliss - as in 'ignorance is bliss'. In particular ignorance of what is happening in a scrum and what constitutes a forward pass, crooked throw, crooked feed, offside, etc.
He does however understand when players such as Mr Hartley are being rude about him.
Jez

Only Winners Win!