Team v Exeter

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Knightonian

Re: Team v Exeter

Post by Knightonian »

Tigers were fortunate that Exeters game plan appeared to be kick all penalties into touch so that Kitchener could steal them

Burns seemed to so do great stuff changing the game then basic errors such as starting kick straight into touch

BY again did two box kicks which didn't find touch and a couple of awful passes

I thought the bench were used to great effect so well done Cockers

High intensity game well done to squeeze them out but we do need to sort out the basic errors
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

Knightonian wrote:Tigers were fortunate that Exeters game plan appeared to be kick all penalties into touch so that Kitchener could steal them

Burns seemed to so do great stuff changing the game then basic errors such as starting kick straight into touch

BY again did two box kicks which didn't find touch and a couple of awful passes

I thought the bench were used to great effect so well done Cockers

High intensity game well done to squeeze them out but we do need to sort out the basic errors
On the other hand you could say BY had a couple of good snipes and had a very good turnover which got us a penalty.

Burns kick through for Allen to score was sublime, as was his kick from our half which landed just 5 meters from their line.

I also think Goneva should not have had a yellow (yes a penalty) but Exeter were fortunate to have a man advantage when they scored one of their tries.

A win away from home to a strong Exeter side who have started the season with confidence is nothing to be sniffed at. Even with 25% missed tackles we were good enough to get a vital away win.

Special mention for Crane. He really controlled the ball at the base of the scrum and did the hard yards when we needed him.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
kingol22
Super User
Super User

Post by kingol22 »

I haven't seen the game but a win away to Exeter is a very good result. Cockers has admitted we our a little bit behind in our defence but the start to the season is as good as we could have hoped for in my opinion. 9 points from 2 games is not a bad return at all.
Big Dai
Super User
Super User

Post by Big Dai »

If you'd have offered me that before K.O. I'd have taken it. Goneva's tackle seemed to hit the ball and ride up rather than being an intentional clothes line and the "non try" from Exeter seemed to be knocked on from the kick?

Burns kicked a little aimlessly at first but settled to give a master class which turned the game, coupled with Kitch's ability to burgle their lineout almost at will. Manu looked lost, as if he needed a jump start. We are missing Marcos!

All in all a good game. Nail biting.......but I always thought we had it. Honest gov!
Exile Wigstonite living in Wales.
Poet laureate of the "One Eyed Turk".
Bar stool philosopher in the "Wilted Daffodil"
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

kingol22 wrote:I haven't seen the game but a win away to Exeter is a very good result. Cockers has admitted we our a little bit behind in our defence but the start to the season is as good as we could have hoped for in my opinion. 9 points from 2 games is not a bad return at all.
I've not seen the game yet either, agree with your comments.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

sapajo wrote:Surprised its only 25% but your right our new defence coach needs to teach how to tackle correctly below the waist such a basic skill. No good having any defensive system if you cannot tackle.
Below the waist isn't always the correct way to tackle. That's the correct way if your only concern is stopping the man and letting him cross the gain line by a body length. Going low every time you invites the attacking player to lift their arms and get the pass away behind the defence.

Smurphswillgetya wrote:I also think Goneva should not have had a yellow (yes a penalty) but Exeter were fortunate to have a man advantage when they scored one of their tries.
Glad it wasn't just me that thought that. I think the Ref and TJ did the right thing asking the TMO for clarification - if it started high yellow, if it rode up only the penalty.

The TMO got it wrong IMO - Gonvea's arms seemed to hit the ball/chest and then rose from there.
covrich

Post by covrich »

I thought we looked a touch rusty and some of our defence was a bit worrying. No different than the start of most years to be honest.

However Exeter made their own mistakes and blew chances themselves. Impact from the bench helped, despite injuries we seem to have a bit of depth.

A win on the road to Exeter is a good result regardless
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Not much more to add to the summary of the win - excellent for whoi it is and stage of season etc etc.

Just finished looking at the Rugby Paper's coverage of the game - if you've go the chance look at the photo of Ben Youngs scoring his try. The look on his face as he looks at TTTE, who he's just shoved out of the way to score, is wonderful. Also given that it is only seconds after the score it is amazing to see Freddie Burns standing nonchalantly in the background with a drink!
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
G.K
Super User
Super User

Post by G.K »

Can't argue with the result, 4 points away to Exeter is never going to be easy.

The performance was none too inspiring though was it? (Kitch at the line out excepted).
Nowadays referees decide matches, players by how much.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Fair to say a fair few teams will go to Sandy Park and come away with a lot less, they have a good side and on the day we were better. Compare the result with our near neighbours result at the insects. We all know however that we will need to find another gear this coming weekend.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

I said to the OH last week that it would be interesting to see how some of the big winners went against better/more organised opposition.

The big surprise for me this weekend was Sarries vs Quins - didn't see that result. Will be interesting to see how stains reply next week.
cheers
Rich
floridaboy
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by floridaboy »

Agree with all the comments regarding Saturdays game, I thought Burns looked very good,remember he's got to get used to having a scrum that goes forward !! Worried about Manu, we just dont seem to be able to get him into games.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

at times I thought Manu was trying too hard, maybe give the ball a little earlier? bit like floody last season...

hopefully the more they play together and rotate more options will open up to everyone
cheers
Rich
Will S
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Will S »

I'm not too worried about Manu. Tait, Goneva and Morris also all struggled to get much ball in hand and I think this was mainly due to a very aggressive line speed by Exeter which was probably designed exactly for this reason and to prevent Slade getting too exposed by Manu. The flip side is that it left Exeter open to kicks behind which Burns exploited with a great range of kicking. Having the skills of Burns at 10 will hopefully mean that if teams do rush up he can take advantage of this but if they hang back Freddie will use the running game of players like Manu much more.
Rykard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Rykard »

it probably shows we are developing a plan b & c..
cheers
Rich