New Barriers outside Goldsmiths Stand

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

InGuinnessVeritas
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: New Barriers outside Goldsmiths Stand

Post by InGuinnessVeritas »

Isambard wrote:I know people who do not rush off but stay and chat for 5/10 minutes while the mob rush off like lemmings.
Have you ever thought some of those 'lemmings' might have a train to catch?
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

InGuinnessVeritas wrote:
Isambard wrote:I know people who do not rush off but stay and chat for 5/10 minutes while the mob rush off like lemmings.
Have you ever thought some of those 'lemmings' might have a train to catch?
Or a 140 mile drive home! :smt018
Jay C
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jay C »

cidermark wrote:I haven't specifically checked but the Tigers should have a completely different process for evacuating the stadium in an emergency situation that would include safe access to the RVP's that wouldn't require the supporters to run across busy roads.
I hope you are right, but a quick search of Tiger's website only revealed one article with the words "emergency evacuation" contained within it & its from 2003 ! ( linky ) so I'm not sure what the evac procedure is or where the RVP's are. Are evacuation instructions given out over the tannoy at each match & I just don't listen well ?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

In the event of an evacuation, the stewards will direct you to the nearest safe exit from the Stadium. That is one of the reasons that there are so many stewards attending the games at WR.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Post by Smurphswillgetya »

So after consulting the police and the council the barriers have been introduced as a safety measure (remember the supporter that was hit by a bus) to protect the fans. If people left the ground in an orderly and civilised manner and not like selfish people or like animals there shouldnt be a problem.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

Smurphswillgetya wrote:So after consulting the police and the council the barriers have been introduced as a safety measure (remember the supporter that was hit by a bus) to protect the fans. If people left the ground in an orderly and civilised manner and not like selfish people or like animals there shouldnt be a problem.
A tad harsh there - are you suggesting that the supporter that was hit by a bus was either selfish or an animal?
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

cidermark wrote:
Smurphswillgetya wrote:So after consulting the police and the council the barriers have been introduced as a safety measure (remember the supporter that was hit by a bus) to protect the fans. If people left the ground in an orderly and civilised manner and not like selfish people or like animals there shouldnt be a problem.
A tad harsh there - are you suggesting that the supporter that was hit by a bus was either selfish or an animal?
If you read my post carefully the accident is an example of the need for safety measures. The other reference is to how people appear to behave in crowded spaces with no regard for others. It seems a lot of people have no patience or regard for others.
Of course this is my own opinion and other posters may have a different perceived factual viewpoint.
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

All this argument presupposes that this problem is unique to Tigers - it isn't, merely the inadequate and inappropriate response! I've been in crowds exiting grounds for sports in many cities worldwide including Dortmund, St Louis, Nashville and Los Angeles and I can assure you that crowds spill onto roads virtually everywhere: however, everywhere else I've been the police stop the traffic for a period after the game to let the pedestrians clear the road (including 6 lane freeways!).
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by mike »

Quite right Dicky - its just commonsense . If the traffic was stopped even for 10 minutes most of the crowds would disperse easily from the Stadium . The new system is a disaster waiting to happen - has anyone at the Club heard of Hillsborough ?
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Mike, there is no relation to what happened at Hillsbrough. The barriers at Hillsborough were high and fixed and were inside the ground and prevented people moving.
The barriers used at Welford Road are lower and should not create a situation of crushing.

If people just took there time it would make things easier for all.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Rizzo

Post by Rizzo »

Has anyone considered that the Club may have requested the police to close roads and/or stop traffic and the police have not agreed or been able to do so for whatever reason?

And if the roads were closed and traffic stopped to let people cross en masse, how long before another lot of people start complaining that they are being held up in their cars and gridlocked....
Don't waste your time away thinking about yesterday's blues
Demelza - another Mother
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Why is this barrier installation being spun as the only safe way to keep supporters safe from mingling with traffic?

God forbid how about just simply extending the crossing time and/or frequency at the pedestrian crossings? Whatever happened to compromise in respect of the Police and the Council :smt011

I note after the Premiership Final at Twickenham, the traffic is held back on the dual carriageway by Police to allow supporters to cross the road safely and there is also a pedestrian footbridge.

I welcome the newly announced increase in Tigers revenue and profit. I trust this will be used to improve the Welford Rd experience for us supporters who all contributed to this :smt023
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

I'm sure they (whoever 'they' are) went through lots of options. For my 2penn'th worth, I would set up four, 10 meter width pelican crossings directly outside the four main stadium exit points. They would only have to be activated for the period of supporter egress immediately after the game and then revert back to the current pelican crossings.
Smurphswillgetya
Super User
Super User

Well I was at the game today and left with the crowd at the end of the game and didnt have any problems. In fact the people around me were leaving in a very orderly and civilised fashion. So much ado about nothing!
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

That depends on where you left the ground as some exit routes remained unchanged. I had no problems this time because I walked to the jail end of Mandela Park in order to cross the road instead of my normal Tigers Way end crossing.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity