World Cup 2015: reality check

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

World Cup 2015: reality check

Post by L Smith »

Having just seen the AB's dismantle Australia, is it a case of all the other nations striving towards second best? I'm not saying that they can't or won't be beaten in knockout rugby but I still think they are leagues ahead.
I personally doubt that our current domestic structure would not be capable of producing a comparable team.
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
Cagey Tiger
Super User
Super User

Re: World Cup 2015: reality check

Post by Cagey Tiger »

Or was today a case of the usual (for most of the last 30 years) "The All Blacks are the best team in the world...

... between World Cups"?

I didn't watch the game so cannot comment myself.
sapajo
Super User
Super User

Post by sapajo »

Awesome All Blacks display especially given the fact that they were properly reffed by Poite with two yellows including one for Richie M. The difference between them and all the other international teams is that they have world class players in every position with a very strong bench. Their handling skills, support and running lines together with their defence were simply sublime.
Without hope we are nothing, keep the faith, a Tiger for eternity
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

sapajo wrote:Awesome All Blacks display especially given the fact that they were properly reffed by Poite with two yellows including one for Richie M. The difference between them and all the other international teams is that they have world class players in every position with a very strong bench. Their handling skills, support and running lines together with their defence were simply sublime.
It's not just the skills and the speed; as Sapajo says, the running lines were so good and there's almost an ESP thing going across the team. Add to that a massive work ethic and an absolute belief in themselves as individuals and a single unit, it shows how far we have to go.
I'm not saying they will or they won't win the World Cup; I'm saying that their best is so much better than everyone else's best.
TomWeston
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TomWeston »

Do any of you remember the ABs calling the 2003 England team 'White Orcs on steroids'?

Have you looked closely at the current crop of ABs?
Darc Tiger
Super User
Super User

Post by Darc Tiger »

There isn't a huge difference between England and New Zealand, but there is a gulf in class in the attacking capabilities of the 2 sides. England can only dream of some of the handling and lines New Zealand (and occasionally Australia) displayed.
Stu_F
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Stu_F »

sapajo wrote:Awesome All Blacks display especially given the fact that they were properly reffed by Poite
Of course another consequence of Poite's reffing was that the Aussie's shortcomings at scrummaging was not allowed to be overcome by some of the dubious tactics they seemed to benefit from last week.
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

Darc Tiger wrote:There isn't a huge difference between England and New Zealand, but there is a gulf in class in the attacking capabilities of the 2 sides. England can only dream of some of the handling and lines New Zealand (and occasionally Australia) displayed.
I would love to agree with this... However, I think the AB front 3 are fitter and more mobile and their handling is so much better ( remember Wilson's handling in the summer tour?). Their second row is also extremely gifted, even though I think this is an area where we can compete with them.
Don't get me wrong, I think we could get one over on them at HQ under the right conditions but i would love to believe that our domestic set up could be capable of finding and nurturing a squad like theirs in the next 10 years, even if it's just a pipe dream!
tigertez

Post by tigertez »

I was amazed at the intensity of the rugby this morning, from both sides - particularly the first 20 minutes. It seemed to be a much higher gear than northern hemisphere test rugby.
mol2
Super User
Super User

Post by mol2 »

TomWeston wrote:Do any of you remember the ABs calling the 2003 England team 'White Orcs on steroids'?

It's funny how a small country can generate so many super-fit brick outhouses with handling skill to match.
Qbec
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by Qbec »

I'm sorry but If the RFU had consulted with the clubs before making this arrangement with IRB about not having Elite club matches during the RWC.
Then this whole issue would never have come about.
But No it went ahead without a word to the clubs & I agree without reservation with our chief executive Simon Cohen "It's like going back to the bad old days of serfdom and everybody is extremely angry that this agreement was entered into with an expectation that we would shut down. So if there isn't going to be adequate compensation, we should play through."

Checkout the article on the ESPN website for the story.
"Clubs threaten to play during World Cup"

"Sorry Guys Wrong Topic"
Tigers The Home Of World Class Rugby

11th Premiership Rugby Champions 2022
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

mol2 wrote:
TomWeston wrote:Do any of you remember the ABs calling the 2003 England team 'White Orcs on steroids'?

It's funny how a small country can generate so many super-fit brick outhouses with handling skill to match.
It's training with a sheep under each arm and the ball skills come from picking up the third.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
Tiger_in_Birmingham
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Tiger_in_Birmingham »

mol2 wrote:

Possibly something to do with playing in size groups not age groups I imagine - skill and technique count for more and you don't get monsters who bulk up early running rampant over others still to hit a major growth spurt.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

If we play at our very best England could possibly make the final, but I think it would require the all blacks to have a serious off day. Can anyone else suggest an eventual winner other than New Zealand?
cidermark
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Post by cidermark »

Noddy555 wrote:If we play at our very best England could possibly make the final, but I think it would require the all blacks to have a serious off day. Can anyone else suggest an eventual winner other than New Zealand?
You assume that The ABs will get though to the final!

For my part I will assume that they will top their group but that leaves them playing, an always unpredictable, France or Ireland in Wales!