WR Expansion before 2015-16 Season????

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Jeremy Anderson
Gold Member
Gold Member

WR Expansion before 2015-16 Season????

Post by Jeremy Anderson »

According to interview with Simon Cohen reported in Rugby Paper he expects WR capacity to increase to 25,600 for the start of 2015-16 season whenever that date is finalized. With a potential 5 months shut down clearly an ideal time for major construction work but is this the long awaited WR expansion? Is it some partial development to squeeze more seats in? Will 2014-15 be my last season in our well loved Crumbie? Why did Tigers not let us know before the Rugby paper?

Or has the rugby paper got it wrong again?
Jez

Only Winners Win!
sam16111986
Super User
Super User

Re: WR Expansion before 2015-16 Season????

Post by sam16111986 »

Tigers plan was to increase Welford Rd over time to raise the capacity up to over 30k. This is seemingly the next step of that. Whether that is the Crumbie or the temporary seating that goes it will depend on budget.

I suspect plans are being finalised and the official website will be updated once the details are sorted.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

I read them same but can find nothing in a web search. I agree that the right way to do these things is to make some type of announcement to the paying public who will be affected by whatever is planned rather than making vague statements to the press with no explanation as to what is proposed :smt009
Life can be unpredictable, so eat your pudding first!
StaffordTiger
Top Cat
Top Cat

Post by StaffordTiger »

Hopefully this is true, as much as the Crumbie is loved it is time for the old girl to make way for a new stand. You would expect an announcement soon if a redevelopment was on the cards.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

I am sure that the club will make an announcement when it is all scheduled to take place. I guess that Simon Cohen was doing an interview and was asked about the redevelopment.
This has been reported in the press as a result.

2015-2016 is still a long way ahead....roll on the start of this season!!
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Hot_Charlie
Super User
Super User

Post by Hot_Charlie »

1,600 isn't too much of an expansion over the current 24000. It'd be interesting to see what's done next, be it the clubhouse end, the Goldsmiths or some of the Crumbie. As has been said though, the RWC may allow for something fairly major.
dunks43

Post by dunks43 »

Noggs wrote:I read them same but can find nothing in a web search. I agree that the right way to do these things is to make some type of announcement to the paying public who will be affected by whatever is planned rather than making vague statements to the press with no explanation as to what is proposed :smt009
Just because we are paying public doesnt give anyone anyone any right to information before it becoming in the public domain.............

For the record the clubhouse stand is the one being extended
old one eye
Silver Member
Silver Member

Post by old one eye »

Any Increase is good for the supporters and it will improve our average attendance and therefore our income.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

dunks43 wrote:
Noggs wrote:I read them same but can find nothing in a web search. I agree that the right way to do these things is to make some type of announcement to the paying public who will be affected by whatever is planned rather than making vague statements to the press with no explanation as to what is proposed :smt009
Just because we are paying public doesnt give anyone anyone any right to information before it becoming in the public domain.............

I was not claiming it as a right. I was simply saying that telling the members what was being planned prior to making a vague statement to the press would have been a better way to do things. Now that the statement has been made I don't think a little bit of explanation is too much to ask.

I think a 1.6k increase in capacity would be difficult to accommodate at the club house end without obscuring views from the club house itself. Perhaps the plan is to fill in the corners but whatever it is it would be nice to be told.
Tigerbeat

Post by Tigerbeat »

Noggs wrote:
dunks43 wrote:

I was not claiming it as a right. I was simply saying that telling the members what was being planned prior to making a vague statement to the press would have been a better way to do things. Now that the statement has been made I don't think a little bit of explanation is too much to ask.

I think a 1.6k increase in capacity would be difficult to accommodate at the club house end without obscuring views from the club house itself. Perhaps the plan is to fill in the corners but whatever it is it would be nice to be told.

There is a difference between a statement and a response to a media question.

The rugby paper printed a response to a question.

The club will make a statement when the time is right.
SUPPORT THE MATT HAMPSON TRUST
www.matthampson.co.uk
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I hope that any expansion will not stop at 26,500. In my view we should aim for at least 30,000 if not 35,000, because it would be filled at least 6 times a year when we play the most popular clubs and open further possibilities as a larger concert venue in Summer.
Noggs
Super User
Super User

Post by Noggs »

The club will make a statement when the time is right.[/quote]

If you're not ready to make an announcement I would have thought that the wise thing would be to duck the question and say nothing. Having chosen to respond to the question it would be nice to follow it up with a bit of detail :smt001
h's dad
Super User
Super User

Post by h's dad »

Noggs wrote:The club will make a statement when the time is right.
If you're not ready to make an announcement I would have thought that the wise thing would be to duck the question and say nothing. Having chosen to respond to the question it would be nice to follow it up with a bit of detail :smt001[/quote]
I think ducking a question about a fairly modest change in capacity would be unwise when working with the media. It might be tricky coming up with much detail for a project that possibly won't start to be implemented until after the end of a season that hasn't started yet. Leicester Football Club plc is not a members club.
I am neither clever enough to understand nor stupid enough to play this game
DickyP
Super User
Super User

Post by DickyP »

Call me a wet blanket but with a mean crowd of 22,500 ish that means 4,000 empty seats rather than 1,500.
For when the One Great Scorer comes to write against your name,
He marks - not that you won or lost - but how you played the Game."
sk 88
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by sk 88 »

DickyP wrote:Call me a wet blanket but with a mean crowd of 22,500 ish that means 4,000 empty seats rather than 1,500.
Not if the 6 sell outs at 24k are sell outs at 26.5k. That would bring the average up almost a thousand.

If the club can succesfully market Sunday 2pm games (or preferably convince BT Sport to give us fewer of them) we could probably have sold out Bath and Gloucester too last season, or at least sold another thousand or so tickets.
Goooooodeeeeeyyyyy!