New Home shirt

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Tigersunited

Re: New Home shirt

Post by Tigersunited »

I really like the new shirt, I like all our shirts because it's Leicester Tigers and they are my team. The only shirts I dislike are the opposition shirts....

Ps all the fans I know have said they like it, and I don't think any of them use this forum.
Grannyman

Post by Grannyman »

jgriffin wrote:
MrPartridge wrote:The simply point I would make is why has it taken this kit so long to arrive?

Last year we played against Saints in final in our 13/14 kit so fans could buy it before the end of the season. The 14/15 kit was 'launched' on Saturday and fans still can't get it for a few weeks. Irrespective of what anyone thinks of the new design it's hardly ground-breaking so why has it taken >3 months longer than last year? (our first year with Canterbury!). Really poor business that will have cost the club and Canterbury quite a bit of cash in my opinion…

We are supposed to be England's number 1 rugby club and yet we this adds to the sense of frustration I have with the club at an organisational level. Open day was a great day and the players were a credit to Tigers, BUT: once again not enough bar staff in the main stand, sitting in the Crumbie made me realise what a shambles it is and the home changing room - OMG… our players re-couperate at half-time sat on old wooden benches…. you must be kidding me!
I suppose you'd rather have a sugar daddy like Bath than a club that doesn't develop stuff when they haven't got the money. Also it was the players choice to remain on the Crumbie side, wasn't it?
Indeed it was, the benches etc we're also kept because of players demands. I for one was very impressed that the players opted to keep us as a proper old school rugby club and not insist on diva style demands. It's something I enjoy boasting about to my ladyball friends.
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

I think the centenary of the Crumbie stand is around now, so it is bound to have to be replaced eventually, whatever we all feel about it. The club will , I am sure, make the right decision when that time comes.
As for the shirt, well I didn't think it was "stripey" enough to start, but it's growing on me, sure I will be asking Santa for one as I've been a good boy so far this year.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
Smudge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Smudge »

Well I haven't had cause to be annoyed with you for a while.
But then I am growing more mellow and forgiving in my old age.
A life long Tiger
Skin_and_Muscle
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Skin_and_Muscle »

Are you Santa!?
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Smudge wrote:Well I haven't had cause to be annoyed with you for a while.
But then I am growing more mellow and forgiving in my old age.
I did say "so far" Smudge, trust you are well, are you coming up to the Borders for the friendly?

I'm called Santa at work by the apprentices on the grounds that I have grey hair and beard :smt004
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

Indeed it was, the benches etc we're also kept because of players demands. I for one was very impressed that the players opted to keep us as a proper old school rugby club and not insist on diva style demands.
I think the interesting bit here is 'old school rugby club'… I watched a documentary last year about Sky cycling team and how they have revolutionised the sport through focusing on small percentage gains, e.g. all cyclists use on the same style mattress every night to ensure better recovery, huge focus on interpreting rider statistics, they have fine-tuned riders kit, they have made margin gains in bike-set up/weight, etc. All with a view to making sure their riders get the best possible preparation. So much so that after huge success with turning Wiggins (a short-distance track rider into Tour de France champion) and Froome (2013 TDF winner) that all pro-cycling team are copying them.

I simply make the point that for 15 minutes at half-time our players sit on wooden benches. It might be their choice, it might make some of our fans on this forum happy that we are sticking to 'old school tradition' but IMHO it is not giving our players the best chance to rest and recuperate at HT and be in the best possible shape for the second-half.
Noddy555
Super User
Super User

Post by Noddy555 »

I'm dissappointed thatthe long sleeve edition of the shirt contains no red in the sleeves, surely a band of red could have been introduced at the cuff or as a shoulder flash, otherwise it's ok.
Phil B
Super User
Super User

Post by Phil B »

MrPartridge wrote:
Indeed it was, the benches etc we're also kept because of players demands. I for one was very impressed that the players opted to keep us as a proper old school rugby club and not insist on diva style demands.
I simply make the point that for 15 minutes at half-time our players sit on wooden benches. It might be their choice, it might make some of our fans on this forum happy that we are sticking to 'old school tradition' but IMHO it is not giving our players the best chance to rest and recuperate at HT and be in the best possible shape for the second-half.

I think your reference to the Sky team is appropriate. It would be very interesting to see what Dave Brailsford, Boss of Team Sky, might suggest to make Tigers FC even better.
I could agree with you...but then we'd both be wrong.
Grimlish
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Grimlish »

MrPartridge wrote
Well yes up to a point. Is there actually any evidence that our players would be better recuperated or better prepared for the second half if they sat on soft draylon, or nice shiny leather, or bean bags or indeed hard wooden benches?

The marginal gains approach is part of 'being the best you can be' which itself is an expression of the CORE 'philosophy' (Commitment, Ownership, Responsibility, Excellence). I think Tigers do pretty well against Brailsfords CORE approach crietria, and actually if there is no marginal gain I reckon Brailsford would say it comes down to "Being dignified", and "Being in the Here and Now" (not distracted by emotions eg about the prospect of winning or losing, or the comfort of your posterior)(those are Brailsford quotes btw). Which in my book means keep the benches, unless someone can prove there is a gain by changing them.
tigertez

Post by tigertez »

MrPartridge wrote:I think the interesting bit here is 'old school rugby club'… I watched a documentary last year about Sky cycling team and how they have revolutionised the sport through focusing on small percentage gains, e.g. all cyclists use on the same style mattress every night to ensure better recovery, huge focus on interpreting rider statistics, they have fine-tuned riders kit, they have made margin gains in bike-set up/weight, etc. All with a view to making sure their riders get the best possible preparation. So much so that after huge success with turning Wiggins (a short-distance track rider into Tour de France champion) and Froome (2013 TDF winner) that all pro-cycling team are copying them.
I remember watching that documentary - it was incredible.

Sir Clive Woodward did the same with the England Rugby team over 10 years. His autobiography - in which he details how he focused on the small percentage gains - is one of my favourite sports books.
AlphaWiseOwl

Post by AlphaWiseOwl »

I seem to have slipped into a parallel universe here. I thought this thread was supposed to be about the new home shirt not dressing room benches.
MrPartridge
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by MrPartridge »

parallel universe
Think how good Tigers would be playing there!

Seriously - is the rule we can only talk about one topic per post… not that hard to multitask is it? Of course the main element of this thread is the new shirt… but I don't see a problem talking about other things as they crop up on the way…
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

Well to multi task then, if anyone coming up to the borders for the friendly next week brings me an XXXL new shirt to try on, I may well buy it.......................(see what I did there) :smt004
APJones
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by APJones »

whilst wearing the new shirt
The team have been sitting on the old wooden benches for 100 years ( not the same team obviously ) The current team from what I recall over the past 9 seasons at least usually come out in the 2nd half playing better than they did in the first half. So the old changing room bench can't be that bad !
http://www.flickr.com/photos/apjones/collections/72157604067869830/
JOIN the Leicester Tigers Rugby photo group on Flickr LINK ABOVE
APJos and pit15