Welford Road Development?

Forum to discuss everything that is Tigers related

Moderators: Tigerbeat, Rizzo, Tigers Press Office, Tigers Webmaster

Bill W (2)
Super User
Super User

Re: Welford Road Development?

Post by Bill W (2) »

h's dad wrote:Bill, you should know better than most that it is not a member’s club. The ‘voters’ are the owners and their appointed representatives, financiers and the H&S hangers on. The residents may be consulted and their views considered but for them to expect a vote is ridiculous. They’ll expect to vote to pick the starting line up next.

The Crumbie is great to look at from the point of tradition but pretty dreadful to actually sit in for a capacity fixture. I’m sitting on the fence (or at least it can feel that way).
Indeed, although many members are also shareholders and thus co-owners.

I am sure The Board will take into account members and shareholders views.
Still keeping the faith!
Isambard
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Isambard »

I admire those who sit in the Crumblie for the strength of their spines, the power of their buttocks and their sense of value for money. The Crumbie is an unsafe relic with benches to sit upon. It is worse than those gym benches at school which were too narrow for any teenage buttock.

It's a dump inside too hence no world cup matches. Well done our board of indecisive non risk takers.
SilebyTiger

Post by SilebyTiger »

I don't think the seating area is the issue, the issue imo is the facilities for the players. The changing rooms are tiny and not fit for a club of our stature in the 21st century.
arickett

Post by arickett »

Reason of us not get WC game in order
1 footy stadium seats more so more cash
2 RFU does not what us to
3 pitch to short
4 players walk through the crowd
5 pitch to narrow

Only 3 4 and 5 could be effected by redevelopment 3 and only if all stands done
So linking redevelopment to world cup games is a red herring
Jimmy Skitz
Super User
Super User

Post by Jimmy Skitz »

number 1 on your list could be done by redevelopment too unless you think a 32,000+ stadium would be too big for Tigers to fill often enough
jgriffin
Super User
Super User

Post by jgriffin »

When the Crumbie goes, I suspect the heart of Tigers will go with it unless the terrace is left intact. Terraces are coming back anyway, all-seater stadiums are not required in Europe (before the anti-EU brigade leap up, almost all stadia are municipal in some way in Europe and municipalities are idiosyncratic bodies).
I HATE sitting to watch rugby. Utterly hate it. Might as well watch on TV :smt009
Leicester Tigers 1995-
Nottingham 1995-2000
Swansea (Whites) 1988-95
A game played on grass in the open air by teams of XV.
ellis9
Super User
Super User

Post by ellis9 »

The terrace will be staying when the ground gets redeveloped.
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

As far as I can remember John the plans for ground redevelopment showed terracing on 3 sides of the ground so there should be plenty of standing for you!
With the WC coming next year it could be an ideal time to get the Crumbie stand done imho!
RagingBull
Super User
Super User

Post by RagingBull »

GT1 wrote:As far as I can remember John the plans for ground redevelopment showed terracing on 3 sides of the ground so there should be plenty of standing for you!
With the WC coming next year it could be an ideal time to get the Crumbie stand done imho!
That's how I remember it but, tbh I cant really remember it.

Don't want players walk way change, but cant remember if it is meant to anyway?
GT1
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by GT1 »

This might help your memory cells RB - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=558617
Lets get on with it!
L Smith
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by L Smith »

GT1 wrote:This might help your memory cells RB - http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=558617
Lets get on with it!
Yes, but the links used to appear on the Tigers website and were removed some time ago which implies that things won't go as originally planned
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed man
tigerburnie
Super User
Super User

Post by tigerburnie »

With the current state in the financial world and Tigers not in a position to lay their hands on this amount of cash, I very much doubt any building work will be taking place off the field. If the Crumbie is condemned due to H&S issues, then the clubs hand might be forced, but unless that happens, I would not expect to see any rebuilding at Welford Road. The club is clearly concentrating on our on the field position and quite rightly too. If the ground sells out every home game this coming year, then maybe a look at rebuilding could actually be warranted.
"If you want entertainment, go to the theatre," says Edinburgh head coach Richard Cockerill. "Rugby players play the game to win.15/1/21.
trendylfj
Super User
Super User

Post by trendylfj »

All of us want first class facilities, but to my mind the club missed an oppertunity when they built the GNC stand. Surely that was the time to put in new changing rooms etc and have the players come out from there with a terrace in front of that stand if needed. If they do decide to develop the crumbie and the club house end - please make the pitch large enough for international matches to take place. Fed up with Saxons going to Glaw etc when I want to see them at WR.
Hehehehehehehehe